Has the media brought our world closer together?

Watch
VictoriaS_xoxo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi! I'm struggling with an essay I have to write. I have to discuss whether or not I feel that the media has made different societies closer. It is based around the idea of a "global village". Any ideas/ or suggestions of theorists I should focus on would be greatly appreciated.

Also If anyone can think of a case study or an example of how the media has united the world (or not) would be a big help to me!

Thank you
Rhythmical
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VictoriaS_xoxo)
Hi! I'm struggling with an essay I have to write. I have to discuss whether or not I feel that the media has made different societies closer. It is based around the idea of a "global village". Any ideas/ or suggestions of theorists I should focus on would be greatly appreciated.

Also If anyone can think of a case study or an example of how the media has united the world (or not) would be a big help to me!

Thank you
Firstly, you have to ask yourself the question to be able to tackle it. I personally believe the media has pros and cons. On one hand we are knowledgeable and up to date on current affairs and have a broad mind but at the same time, it creates a level of self conciousness for people who look up to celebrities and watch television programmes where the standard of characters is high and the way they live is very fantasy land.

What sort of media do you have to focus on?
VictoriaS_xoxo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for your response! Yeah you're right, it's a debate so I need points for and against - and it seems there are both pros and cons for the media. The question says the "globalised media world today" so I assume that it covers all types of media.
Rhythmical
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VictoriaS_xoxo)
Thanks for your response! Yeah you're right, it's a debate so I need points for and against - and it seems there are both pros and cons for the media. The question says the "globalised media world today" so I assume that it covers all types of media.
It's no problem at all. Have a look at news articles and watch programmes to develop your understanding. I suggest having a particular focus on a type of media, e.g focus more on print rather than television? Just a thought.

Oh and to make things easier, if you want to reply to a certain poster then either click reply or the quotation marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise