Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

Im not an A-level student or any of these things. I actually took IB.

I was just wondering, is it possible for someone to take A-level physics without taking AS Physics? Im not talking about whether its allowed or not. Im just talking about whether he would be able to complete the course successfully

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kraslan)
    Hey there

I was just wondering, is it possible for someone to take A-level physics without taking AS Physics? Im not talking about whether its allowed or not. Im just talking about whether he would be able to complete the course successfully

Thanks
    A-Level = AS + A2

So, you need to do both the AS and A2 courses to get the A-Level!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    A-Level = AS + A2

So, you need to do both the AS and A2 courses to get the A-Level!
    Im sorry...I dont get it.
    Did you mean:
    You need AS + A2 to be able to start A-level?
    OR
    Taking AS + A2 is like taking A-level?

ReputationRep:
    ohhhh
    im sorry
    now i get it
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    But now im even more confused. See...Im taking a foundation year for Chemical Engineering because I never did IB physics. So the lady at the university told me that i might struggle since they start at "A-level" level.
    But i havent taken physics in a long time now. Does that mean im ok? Or will i really struggle?

ReputationRep:
    But now im even more confused. See...Im taking a foundation year for Chemical Engineering because I never did IB physics. So the lady at the university told me that i might struggle since they start at "A-level" level.
    But i havent taken physics in a long time now. Does that mean im ok? Or will i really struggle?
    Ok, I'll explain.

To gain the A-Level qualification in Physics, you require to do 2 courses. One is called the AS, and this is usually done in the first year. The one following after this (providing you pass), is the A2 course. It is the combination of these 2 courses that make up your A-Level qualification.

You can alternatively choose to just do the AS Course, and gain an AS Level - This is worth half an A-Level.

As for Physics - I'm not sure, I think your maths may be more important, but certainly Physics is helpful.

Of course, you can do the AS and A2 courses to make up your A-Level in 1 year.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

Thanks
    Hey...
    Just to let u know and hopefully help u, I did my whole physics A level all in one year thru edexcel...
    So, yes it was hard work and pretty tough, but I did it in the end (lets hope the results are good!)...
    Yup, its allowed and doable..cuz I just did it!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.