The Student Room Group

Liking someone I've never met irl?

How to stop it from happening?
I've been having the same feelings!! #Moooose
Stop talking to them if you're really worried.
Short of that, remember to keep yourself open irl more than with your url friend.
Original post by Anonymous
How to stop it from happening?

TBH it's sort of weird to develop romantic feelings for someone you've never had physical contact with.
Reply 4
Original post by AlexFam
TBH it's sort of weird to develop romantic feelings for someone you've never had physical contact with.

I know :sad:
Reply 5
Meet up with them to see what they're really like or don't make as much contact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I know :sad:

How far apart are the two of you?
Is there any possibility you two can get closer and see each other IRL frequently?
Spoken to them in video calls?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think there's anything weird about this at all. I mean, tinder is all online to begin with and barely anyone thinks that's weird. I've had relationships with people who I first caught feelings for talking to them online, but they were friends of friends so not complete strangers (it was cool to meet up with them eventually etc...)

edit:: Plus, you get to know them for -them- ; there's less lust getting in the way!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
How far away are you from them? Why not try meeting up in a safe public space? Maybe they feel the same for you? You won't know until you try right? Short of that, you may have to follow the above advice ^ and cut down on contact if you really don't want it to happen.
Original post by AlexFam

Not sure why you think its weird. If you share a lot of time together, then it would be quite easy to develop feelings if you liked the person.
Original post by 999tigger
Not sure why you think its weird. If you share a lot of time together, then it would be quite easy to develop feelings if you liked the person.

Because without a physical presence they're just an idea. They're not concrete entities in your mind's eye. If you ever do fall for someone you've never met, you're only falling for the idea of them in your mind.
Reply 11
Stop talking to them.
Totally normal. If you don't want to like them then try distancing yourself from them. It's all you can do, pretty much.
Brah how do you even start making that happen? Never mind stop what the heck is this
Original post by AlexFam
Because without a physical presence they're just an idea. They're not concrete entities in your mind's eye. If you ever do fall for someone you've never met, you're only falling for the idea of them in your mind.

Not really. If you skype or video chat, then they are a bit more than an idea in your mind. So disagree.
Not really. If you skype or video chat, then they are a bit more than an idea in your mind. So disagree.

Calls and video chat are not enough imo.
There's still smell, touch and taste beyond hearing and vision to experience someone with.
Original post by AlexFam
Calls and video chat are not enough imo.
There's still smell, touch and taste beyond hearing and vision to experience someone with.

The question was developing a liking for someone you had never physically met.
Clearly quite possible and it happens all the time, unless people who have made friends off the internet are making it up.
The question was developing a liking for someone you had never physically met.
Clearly quite possible and it happens all the time, unless people who have made friends off the internet are making it up.

Yeah whoops I kind of extrapolated to loving someone you've never met.
OMG YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE, I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
One Direction fans have the same problem as you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending