Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I dont understand the mark scheme for the following questions:
Questions 1F and 1G
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/w...56dfc5cd_1.pdf

Ans. https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/w...453739ff_1.pdf

Can anyone tell me if theres a 'general' way to do these type of questions.

Furthermore, im finding the MAT questions really hard... Im lucky if i get 1 question because im having to look at mark schemes on pretty much every question. I was good at maths in a level and now i dont understand any of this! Any advice?
HapaxOromenon3
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Carman3)
I dont understand the mark scheme for the following questions:
Questions 1F and 1G
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/w...56dfc5cd_1.pdf

Ans. https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/w...453739ff_1.pdf

Can anyone tell me if theres a 'general' way to do these type of questions.

Furthermore, im finding the MAT questions really hard... Im lucky if i get 1 question because im having to look at mark schemes on pretty much every question. I was good at maths in a level and now i dont understand any of this! Any advice?
MAT questions are designed to test your problem-solving ability and mathematical intuition, so if you're finding it difficult, this suggests that you simply aren't good enough at maths to go to Oxford - you instead fall in the 90% of A-Level Maths candidates who will simply never have the ability required to study maths at Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, etc.

For question F, you should be able to see that one way to get 8-x is to apply x+1, then apply -x to give -x-1, then apply x+1 nine times to get to 8-x. This gives a total of ten times for x+1 and one time for -x. Now by considering the available options, you can see that the only possibl answer is (c).

For question G, simply apply the Binomial Theorem as shown in the published solution. I can't really suggest any other method in this case.
Carman3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by HapaxOromenon3)
MAT questions are designed to test your problem-solving ability and mathematical intuition, so if you're finding it difficult, this suggests that you simply aren't good enough at maths to go to Oxford - you instead fall in the 90% of A-Level Maths candidates who will simply never have the ability required to study maths at Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, etc.

For question F, you should be able to see that one way to get 8-x is to apply x+1, then apply -x to give -x-1, then apply x+1 nine times to get to 8-x. This gives a total of ten times for x+1 and one time for -x. Now by considering the available options, you can see that the only possibl answer is (c).

For question G, simply apply the Binomial Theorem as shown in the published solution. I can't really suggest any other method in this case.
I dont understand a lot of it because ive never come across things like this and plus its hard to understand the wording as well. Im trying to find resources to revise from as some questions do seem similar but worded differently, but im having no luck.

As for F that makes more sense now.. If it was worded a bit simpler I would understand the solution to question G as well but im confused
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
MAT questions are designed to test your problem-solving ability and mathematical intuition,
Agreed. Oxford delights in setting questions that make you think, where really understanding basic principles is the only tool that you need.
so if you're finding it difficult, this suggests that you simply aren't good enough at maths to go to Oxford - you instead fall in the 90% of A-Level Maths candidates who will simply never have the ability required to study maths at Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, etc.
Harsh. I don't agree - many people won't have tackled problems like this before. You do need to like problem solving, and to get used to not being put-off when you don't immediately know the answer.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Carman3)
I dont understand a lot of it because ive never come across things like this and plus its hard to understand the wording as well. Im trying to find resources to revise from as some questions do seem similar but worded differently, but im having no luck.
Have a look here. I'd start with the MAT Preparation Powerpoint.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.52%
I'm not sure (45)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (308)
29.82%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.61%
I'm not a current university student (503)
48.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise