Interview for a hospitality staffing job - no experience. Help! Watch

Bezoar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,

I'm currently hunting for jobs as I'm very poor right now and I've been offered an interview for a hospitality company. My understanding is that they train up bar staff / waiters / cleaners etc and send them out to different venues and events to help out.

All my previous employment has been in retail, so I actually have no idea how this industry works or what kind of things they may ask me in the interview.

Can anyone here with a similar job or previous experience in catering / hospitality give me some advice please? How can I pass an interview in this industry?

Thanks in advance!
Bezoar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
:bump:
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
Hello.

I have been a Chef for the last 16 years.

As daft as it sounds 9/10 places don't mind if you haven't got any experience. As long as you are prepared to do as your told and work hard and most of all listen and learn to what you are being told then that is fine. I have realized that in this industry it doesn't matter about experience as its not hard to get the hang of. It is hectic and hard work at times, you will work long shifts often without any or little break, you'll be fine. Just be yourself and show that your willing to work hard and learn.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bezoar)
Hi all,

I'm currently hunting for jobs as I'm very poor right now and I've been offered an interview for a hospitality company. My understanding is that they train up bar staff / waiters / cleaners etc and send them out to different venues and events to help out.

All my previous employment has been in retail, so I actually have no idea how this industry works or what kind of things they may ask me in the interview.

Can anyone here with a similar job or previous experience in catering / hospitality give me some advice please? How can I pass an interview in this industry?

Thanks in advance!
It's not rocket science - it's hospitality - the clue is in the name! Think about the skills required in hospitality, customer service, long hours on your feet, constantly smiling, the customer is always right, hot kitchens, grumpy chefs, fussy clients etc etc. Pretty much exactly the same as retail except carrying wine instead of folding clothes!
Milkround
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey!

This article might help you. It's about not having the right work experience:
http://advice.milkround.com/dont-rig...-can-milkround
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Retail is very close. Look at the job advert and see what skills they want. Teamwork, communication, organisation, ability to problem solve, attention to detail, customer service, common sense, soft skills etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

13.43%
1 (97)
12.65%
2 (95)
12.39%
18.9%
22.82%
19.82%

Watched Threads