The Student Room Group

Med. Vs eng. Slaries/compensdation/pay?

Hello,which one of the following earn more and why/

1)Doctor or engineer?
2)Surgeon or engineer

Also,as far as i know doctors and surgeons are capped to a certain salary and even private clinics are not extremely profitable table whereas great engineers can make millions or even billion as statistics show the most popular degrees among billionaires are engineers...Is this true that there ano ay caps for engineers?

What are the pros and cons of engineer(aerospace) vs surgeons?

Thanks.
Original post by VNN
Hello,which one of the following earn more and why/

1)Doctor or engineer?
2)Surgeon or engineer

Also,as far as i know doctors and surgeons are capped to a certain salary and even private clinics are not extremely profitable table whereas great engineers can make millions or even billion as statistics show the most popular degrees among billionaires are engineers...Is this true that there ano ay caps for engineers?

What are the pros and cons of engineer(aerospace) vs surgeons?

Thanks.

If you want to go into healthcare for the money, then it's not the right choice for you really.
Original post by claireestelle
If you want to go into healthcare for the money, then it's not the right choice for you really.

Definitely not,I love both fields...Trust me.My dad s a surgeon and i know the realities of both careers as i have 7 close relatives who are also engineers...
Original post by VNN
Definitely not,I love both fields...Trust me.My dad s a surgeon and i know the realities of both careers as i have 7 close relatives who are also engineers...

Your main question is about the salary, you cant blame me for making that assumption though:P If you've got relatives in both then you've got the perfect opportunity to get some work experience in both that will much better answer which is best for you.
Your standard engineer would probably have a salary progression similar to a GP. Yes it's true that engineers have less of a cap but that's because engineering is an industry where you can more easily go out on your own and start your own business, which is another major skill in itself. There are also a lot of engineering grads so that's going to bump up the chances a bit.

In practice you're probably not going to be one of those guys that makes it big, the engineers that can nowadays are computer scientists and as any other type of engineer you'd be building up a company with revenue in the millions or tens of millions rather than billions.
I am a GP my husband is an engineer. I earn more than him for working fewer hours.

Neither of us wants to do the other's job though which is the most important factor.
Had biomedical engineering existed when I was young i would maybe have chosen that though.
My dad was a (totally different kind of )engineer and also earned less than I do now. He loved his job though and would also have hated being a doctor.
Being a doctor is very people focussed, many engineers aren't. Do you want a different person coming to see you every 10 minutes wanting you to sort out their life or do you want to design and improve machines/ build stuff/ create devices to improve people's quality of life?
Even surgeons have to do outpatient clinics.

Quick Reply

Latest