The Student Room Group

Mixing hydroxyzine and valium - safe?

Not both at once but e.g.hydroxyzine (25-50mg) in the morning, valium (5-10mg at night or the other way round? I'm new to hydroxyzine but have been on valium for years so as you can gather, there's a lot of it in my system, since it's a long-acting medication. Please no 'ask a doctor' responses - assume that this is a purely hypothetical query and no professional medical advice is needed - just some general/academic info
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Not both at once but e.g.hydroxyzine (25-50mg) in the morning, valium (5-10mg at night or the other way round? I'm new to hydroxyzine but have been on valium for years so as you can gather, there's a lot of it in my system, since it's a long-acting medication. Please no 'ask a doctor' responses - assume that this is a purely hypothetical query and no professional medical advice is needed - just some general/academic info

If you were to be taking them both I would be sure to check with a doctor or pharmacist that it is okay and there aren't any particular measures you'd have to take.
In general though the leaflets for both medications would say if there would be a problem taking it with something else and no doctor would prescribe one if they knew you were taking the other and there could be a problem. You can also google to find sites that look at the side effects and interactions of drugs.

This site shows possible interactions and I will leave it to you to look at
http://www.ehealthme.com/drug-interaction/valium/hydroxyzine/
It seems that they are somewhat commonly used togeter so certinally aren't completely unsafe, but they could interact to cause a variety of side effects some of which could be dangerous.

At the end of the day nobody here can give you proper medical advice even if you ask them to so it is ultimately up to you to educate yourself and make the decision of weather it is safe. And yes that may very well involve asking a doctor.
Reply 2
Original post by Kindred
If you were to be taking them both I would be sure to check with a doctor or pharmacist that it is okay and there aren't any particular measures you'd have to take.
In general though the leaflets for both medications would say if there would be a problem taking it with something else and no doctor would prescribe one if they knew you were taking the other and there could be a problem. You can also google to find sites that look at the side effects and interactions of drugs.

This site shows possible interactions and I will leave it to you to look at
http://www.ehealthme.com/drug-interaction/valium/hydroxyzine/
It seems that they are somewhat commonly used togeter so certinally aren't completely unsafe, but they could interact to cause a variety of side effects some of which could be dangerous.

At the end of the day nobody here can give you proper medical advice even if you ask them to so it is ultimately up to you to educate yourself and make the decision of weather it is safe. And yes that may very well involve asking a doctor.

Hi thank you for responding, really appreciate it.
I don't really understand why, in Drug effectiveness over time:section most say 0%? Do you? I find it strange because valium is very effective?
Ehh lots of interactions are listed. But I guess it's still better than living in constant fear isn't it..
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi thank you for responding, really appreciate it.
I don't really understand why, in Drug effectiveness over time:section most say 0%? Do you? I find it strange because valium is very effective?
Ehh lots of interactions are listed. But I guess it's still better than living in constant fear isn't it..

It may be that they didn't all answer so it was put down as 0% or something like that. It could also depend on why they were using it I guess.

That's what you have to decide and where a doctor might come into it. If you do experience any unwanted side effects you may be able to reduce or get rid of them with some help from your doctor adjusting doses, counteracting the effect with other medication, suggesting a different medication etc.

Quick Reply

Latest