64% of the UK population is Overweight or Obese Watch

TartanGibby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
64% of the UK population is Overweight or Obese

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...group=p04bqf75

It seems that the UK is going down the same route as the US and becoming fatter.

What can be done to tackle this epidemic except the usual of people doing exercise and stopping over-eating.
Mactotaur
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Teaching people why they get overweight and obese. Like I posted somewhere else:

Assume someone's TDEE is 2000. It's the average.

They eat an extra apple a day, at around 100 calories.

That's an extra 36500 calories a year. A pound of fat is around 3500 calories. They'd put on nearly 10.5 pounds a year by only eating an apple over their TDEE a day. After a few years, this adds up (assuming their intake changes to reflect their changing TDEE).

What we need is education rather than shaming.
Blackstarr
Report 3 years ago
Really?
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
this is why we need to make it clear that being fat is not good and not healthy. we shouldn't embrace it
The Wavefunction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mactotaur)
Teaching people why they get overweight and obese. Like I posted somewhere else:

That's an extra 36500 calories a year. A pound of fat is around 3500 calories. They'd put on nearly 10.5 pounds a year by only eating an apple over their TDEE a day. After a few years, this adds up (assuming their intake changes to reflect their changing TDEE).

Not really that simple though, is it.
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The Wavefunction)
It's completely that simple. Eat under your TDEE, you will lose weight. Only exceptions are rare conditions (not PCOS).
Greg Jackson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The Wavefunction)
It's exactly that simple.
Greg Jackson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Everybody should be taught this stuff in school.
biglad2k16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Change the weight requirements for being overweight so that els people are overweight
Nirvana1989-1994
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The 'Eww fat people' mentality definitely has to go. I was a tad overweight like a year ago, and that way of thinking definitely didn't help me, walking more did.
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Greg Jackson)
Everybody should be taught this stuff in school.
I'm thinking of doing the classic British tactic of writing a letter to my local MP. See if I can get the alarming statistics and the horrific effects of morbid obesity to change their minds on policy.
ShannyMorrison
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd say there's three main reasons why people are overweight/obese in the UK:

1. Convenience/laziness - there's far too many fast food joints and takeaways and if you know you can get food right then and there, most people will and do take advantage of that. Buying a packet of crisps is quicker than baking some seasoned slices of sweet potato.

2. Being uneducated - people leave high school with no clue about nutrients, calories or even how to make a basic meal. I had to explain to my friend the other day how to make soup which is probably one of the easiest healthy dishes there is. People genuinely believe McDonalds contains protein, that cereal bars are a good breakfast, that pregnant women eat for two... it's crazy

3. Coddling - rather than turn around to those who are overweight/obese and (truthfully) say "if you don't change your ways you will undoubtedly destroy your body and die younger than you should", we end up giving them support, fancy clothing ranges, creating hashtags of support, share posts from Tess Munster and embrace it.
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm thinking of starting a Parliament.uk petition to have the mechanics behind weight loss and gain taught in schools. I doubt it'll gain much traction, but it's the best way to get your voice heard. If anyone's willing to sign it, send me a private message.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You literally have to put sanctions on businesses that essentially encourage this behaviour, and god forbid I can already hear the right-wingers screaming out in horror about how "unfair" it is on businesses, but it's the only way to stop this trend getting worse.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The figures speak for themselves, it is far more than an individual problem. Sadly Brits love idleness and excessive consumption. Until British culture changes we will continue to be a nation of fatties (a source of shame for the minority who have some self control).
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Five signatures are needed for this petition to go live: https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...4mZ1jKWm5u7WET

-

Make the mechanics behind weight gain and loss compulsory for secondary schools

64% of the UK population is overweight/obese. Many simply don’t understand why they are obese, and thus do not have the first idea of how to combat it. Basic information such as calculating Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) should be taught in secondary schools.

The average British person’s total daily energy expenditure is 2000 calories. Eating just 100 calories over this per day will lead to an average weight gain of nearly 10.5 pounds (4.7kg) a year. 100 calories is one large apple, half a plain bagel, or a packet of crisps. Being overweight or obese is connected to many health problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnoea and some cancers, as well as significantly reducing life expectancy and quality of life.
Gatewaymerge
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
64%? Well that's means less competition for us fit people .

It's completely that simple. Eat under your TDEE, you will lose weight. Only exceptions are rare conditions (not PCOS).
No it isn't though, practically everyone knows the basics on how to lose weight which is to move more and eat less. If people wanted to know how to lose weight and they didn't there's so much information out there on the internet, books, gyms etc. So it's more of an issue on motivation and comfort. In order to get people to lose weight we've got to introduce a money incentive or a tax of some sort.
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gatewaymerge)
64%? Well that's means less competition for us fit people .

No it isn't though, practically everyone knows the basics on how to lose weight which is to move more and eat less. If people wanted to know how to lose weight and they didn't there's so much information out there on the internet, books, gyms etc. So it's more of an issue on motivation and comfort. In order to get people to lose weight we've got to introduce a money incentive or a tax of some sort.
People don't know the basics, that's the problem, people are sucked into fad diets then end up believing it's not possible for them to lose weight when it isn't sustainable.
stefano865
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol
plasmaman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ShannyMorrison)
I'd say there's three main reasons why people are overweight/obese in the UK:

1. Convenience/laziness - there's far too many fast food joints and takeaways and if you know you can get food right then and there, most people will and do take advantage of that. Buying a packet of crisps is quicker than baking some seasoned slices of sweet potato.

2. Being uneducated - people leave high school with no clue about nutrients, calories or even how to make a basic meal. I had to explain to my friend the other day how to make soup which is probably one of the easiest healthy dishes there is. People genuinely believe McDonalds contains protein, that cereal bars are a good breakfast, that pregnant women eat for two... it's crazy

3. Coddling - rather than turn around to those who are overweight/obese and (truthfully) say "if you don't change your ways you will undoubtedly destroy your body and die younger than you should", we end up giving them support, fancy clothing ranges, creating hashtags of support, share posts from Tess Munster and embrace it.
Think you'll find McDonalds does contain protein.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
6.98%
They've been reasonable (71)
41.28%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.58%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)
26.16%

Watched Threads