Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krystal)
    Omgosh u really think i was looking for a complement...!!

Its really hard to express ourselves on a forum like this. All I can say is I genuinely don't know whether these will be good enough. I don't know if you're going for Medicine as well but it is THE most competitive, especially with Oxbridge. My careers advisor told me you need 3 subjects above 270 to have a realistic chance.I admit I have that, but not in Chemistry which is the main thing for Medicine.

Now I can't really make u believe that I was genuinely concerned about my results so I'll just leave it upto you to decide.
    From her signature Liar seems to be applying to Cambridge for medicine, so she's in the same boat as you.

Put things into perspective. The fact that many successful candidates at Cambridge gets 270+ doesn't necessarily imply a causal relationship; it's that the good candidates all around tend to do well in their exams. If you're good all around but your UMS are not stellar they're not going to bin your application on that basis alone. Many people I know who've gone to Cambridge for medicine have had high UMS scores, but then there are the other people who had got Bs at Chemistry AS and still got in. As Cat said it's about the whole application, rather than your UMS scores. I know you may have been a bit disappointed, but considering there are people who are devastated that they may have got Bs or Cs in relevant subjects it was insensitive.

And it's compliment, guys

ReputationRep:
    I am aware of everything you have told me here. I know everything counts. But I'm sure you understand that one wants to be in the best position possible if applying to Oxbridge- which i didnt feel i was in. But thanks for the advice- I'll be keeping it in mind for sure.

Edit: Didnt see your post there. I apologise. I suppose it would be rather rude to 'complain' about A's when others have been disappointed with their grades. But as I said earlier- it started with what i said at 12 at night which i was very stupid to write in the first place. Again I apologise. And thanks for correcting me. that word looked a bit wrong when i was writing it but i didnt realise!!

ReputationRep:
    I got 265 262 267 and 257 for AS and I'm still going to apply for Cambridge. Just be proud of the work that you have done to achieve your grades. And most of all, enjoy the process! Which is what this is all about. Good luck Krystal.

ReputationRep:
    AAAAB chem, bio, eng lit , maths and general studies (i didn't care)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    And it's compliment, guys
    I never was the best at spelling :p:

ReputationRep:
    thanks denzil. for medicine or another subject?

ReputationRep:
    Well, my results may not be as good as some as yours, but considering my schools average was somewhere in the region of 3Ds I'm pretty pleased, hoping to be on target to go to Durham.

Biology - B - 229/300
    83/100
    68/100 - Will retake to get an A
    78/100

Economics - A - 273/300

72/90 - Will retake to make life easier in year 13
    84/90
    117/120

English Literature - B - 212/300 - Going to get the scripts back, was an A student all year.

92/120
    61/90
    59/90

Spanish - A - 262/300

90/90
    98/120
    74/90

Yeah, pretty pleased and with the two retakes I'll be happy and drop English. Anyone know if Unis will be able to see UMS results in 08?

ReputationRep:
    bio 284/300 A
    chem 247/300 A
    maths 235/300 B(5 off)
    ict 227/300 B

Ive no idea what i intend to do but. with the above results, and harder work next year, do you think medicine or dentistry is a possible option maybe? Or do i need to be doing better at AS?

ReputationRep:
    This thread seems to be a bit of a vanity exercise. To be honest, the grades on here are all fantastic, but I don't think they can be used for context, as they're definitely ALOT higher than average. I feel depressed now, and I got 4 A's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scout5)
    This thread seems to be a bit of a vanity exercise. To be honest, the grades on here are all fantastic, but I don't think they can be used for context, as they're definitely ALOT higher than average. I feel depressed now, and I got 4 A's.
    That's probably because only those who don't care or those who did extremely well are posting. I didn't get outstandingly high marks in any of mine but I still got 4A's which I'm absolutely delighted with. At the end of the day, in my opinion, an A is an A and when people ask you what you got you aren't going to say that you got 300/300 in this and this (unless you're incredibly modest, of course). Instead you're going to say 4A's. Be happy! I know I am

Universities are finding it hard to distinguish between good and 'exceptional' candidates - hence the talks about a new A*/A**. I'm proud of my A's but no doubt in a couple of years time an A will be considered just 'good' by university standards.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, it will be eventually but at the minute it's still the highest possible grade and no-one should be embarrassed about their A just because it's supposedly "a lower A". The mentality of doing that escapes me.

ReputationRep:
    AS Levels:

Predicted: aaaa
    Achieved: aaaa

Chemistry: 281/300 (A)
    Unit 1: 84/90
    Unit 2: 113/120
    Unit 3: 84/90

Further Maths: 259/300 (A)
    FP1: 82/100
    S1: 89/100
    NM: 88/100

Maths: 281/300 (A)
    C1: 100/100
    C2: 97/100
    D1: 84/100

Physics: 274/300 (A)
    Forces and Motions: 76/90
    Electrons and Photons: 85/90
    Wave and Prop.: 113/120

I got an A in every module (so far)!!! Next step A2's!

Im delighted

ReputationRep:
    OOOOh im sooo nervous bout getting my results!!

I was on holiday last thursday, so i didn't collect mine, and my college dont send them out ?? So i am going to colect them 2morra really nervous!!

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck, hope you get what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilingmaniac)
    Well...I got...

History A 290/300
    84/90
    120/120 (this being the module i was CONVINCED i'd screwed up, teehee)
    86/90

Chemistry A 289/300
    86/90
    120/120
    83/90

English Language A 284/300
    105/105
    89/105
    90/90

Maths A 296/300
    100/100
    100/100
    96/100

These are all a year early, so I'm ecstatic!!!! Have to admit, though, I was secretly a bit disappointed that I got 96/100 on Statistics 1, seeing as I want to do Maths and Statistics at Oxford :O !! Do you think this matters... loads of people who absolutely loathe statistics have been getting far nearer full marks
    Just wondering..(and not meaning to be rude or anything), but why are you doing your A levels over 3 years?? Or atleast thats what I gathered from your sig..

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, but does anyone here go to an independent school? It's just that some people put up results for six results, and as far as i'm aware most state schools only let yoou do four plus either General Studies, ICT skills or Critical Thinking. So how did they let you do six?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aithne13)
    Just curious, but does anyone here go to an independent school? It's just that some people put up results for six results, and as far as i'm aware most state schools only let yoou do four plus either General Studies, ICT skills or Critical Thinking. So how did they let you do six?
    There are numerous reasons for that. Firstly, of all the independent schools I am aware of (from friends and relatives) that go their, many take 4 AS subjects, 5 including General Studies/Crit. Thinking. Bear in mind, I don't know the status at many independent schools but from what I can gather there is more of an approach with limiting subject numbers and boosting the performance at each. This may not be true for all. Secondly, some people take an AS qualification early. My previous high school allowed people to take AS qualifications early (only in Maths) provided a) they didn't take GCSE Statistics, b) were predicted an A* at Maths/in the Higher Set (no one was allowed to take GCSE maths early, ever). Thirdly, many people take 5 AS subjects, like myself and were forced to take Critical Thinking which was taught during tutorials/after-school sessions, etc.

It is up to the individual school to decide how many they offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlouisedoll)
    Just wondering..(and not meaning to be rude or anything), but why are you doing your A levels over 3 years?? Or atleast thats what I gathered from your sig..
    right, well, basically my school system is mucked up! Although a poor to average comp, they let some of us sit 7 GCSEs early, then 4 AS levels early (although we had no choice about which AS levels we sat in year 11; we either did them or had free periods, basically) . Anyway, seeing as I want to do Maths and Statistics at university... I'm going to need further maths, and physics would also be helpful... and it would be better that I have done these at A2 level... which I will not have been able to do until year 13, so that I go to university as normal. Also, I don't really want to go to university early anyway.

Does that answer your question, or are you still confused?!?! I'm confused, and I'm the one sitting them!

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what i was predicted, but i got AAAAAC if you include General Studies and Critical Thinking

Biology: A, 284/300
    (86/100, 100/100, 98/100)

Chemistry: A, 261/300
    (81/90, 81/90, 99/120)

Maths: A, 283/300
    (98/100, 100/100, 85/100)

Latin: A, 245/300
    (100/120, 66/90, 79/90)

General Studies: A, 268/300
    (83/100, 85/100, 100/100)

Critical Thinking: C, 198/300
    (84/120, 114/180)

I'm very pleased with my results overall. Slighty disappointed with the Chemistry but it was the practical paper that let me down and i know i messed that up. And with Latin i'm just grateful to have got an A because i'm dropping it next year so i don't care that i just scraped it. I'm going to get my Critical Thinking remarked cos i know i did badly in it but i can't believe i did quite that badly.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.