At what point does superstition become religion?

Watch
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
There must be a point. At what point does a pile of sand become a heap of sand? How many grains of sand does it take to build a sandcastle?
OvergrownMoose
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The essence of the question boils down to the difference between religion and superstition. A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. Whereas Superstition is a credulous belief or notion, NOT based on reason, knowledge, or experience; the word is often used pejoratively to refer to folk beliefs deemed irrational. It is also commonly applied to beliefs and practices surrounding luck, prophecy and spiritual beings, particularly the irrational belief that future events can be influenced or foretold by specific UNRELATED prior events.

In other words, they are two completely separate things! #Moooose
cbblitz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My mum's like "I believe in guardian angels but not God". I'm like "Ahhh if you're picking one or the other, pick the one with heaven and all that"..
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by OvergrownMoose)
The essence of the question boils down to the difference between religion and superstition. A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. Whereas Superstition is a credulous belief or notion, NOT based on reason, knowledge, or experience; the word is often used pejoratively to refer to folk beliefs deemed irrational. It is also commonly applied to beliefs and practices surrounding luck, prophecy and spiritual beings, particularly the irrational belief that future events can be influenced or foretold by specific UNRELATED prior events.

In other words, they are two completely separate things! #Moooose
PRSOM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34.14%
No (490)
65.86%

Watched Threads