ferggierhodes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am looking at studying an accounting degree (not decided specifics yet) and have found some universities that offer a year abroad, and was wondering if it is worth it. It sounds like a great time and a brilliant experience but i'm wondering if its worth it?
- Does it make me more employable in the long term?
-Will it cost me more in tuition fee's?
-Generally does the language barrier cause many problems? (I currently only speak English)
-How is it finding work/financing living abroad for the year?
Thanks
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A year abroad is always worth it and makes you more employable. The remaining factors should be part of your cost benefit analysis because it will be hard, language may be a barrier (but doesn't have to be as you can learn or go somewhere which speaks English) and you will have to do a lot of research to plan this.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
DO IT.

Yes, it will make you more employable - you will be more confident/mature/resourceful, and be more 'globally aware'. You will have so much more than 'I did a degree' to put on your CV and talk about at any interviews.

Your SA year/semester will be the highlight of your time at Uni, and is often life-changing in terms of who you meet, what else you do there, and the way if impacts on the rest of your degree.

Check with each Uni re. costs - if its an essential, stated part of the course (ie. with study aboard) it may be reciprocal cost (it wont cost you any thing extra) or will be minimal (ie. travel insurance etc). If its an add-on, it depends on where you are going, and what arrangements your Uni has.

Language - plenty of Uni os Europe are English speaking (Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Norway etc) and English is widely spoken in big cities. Or of course you could look at Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc.

If you cant find the info easily on the Uni website, look for 'Study Abroad Office' (or called something like 'Global Opportunities' etc) and email or phone them - they will be very happy to give you lots of info/help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (14)
31.11%
No (31)
68.89%

Watched Threads