Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone remain a "test standard" Driver? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering for all people who passed out there, whether they still remain doing all the little things that most experienced drivers never do now.

Like the other day when I went to the pub with my dad and his friends, they where asking how my driving got along, and I said yeah great, and they started to question me what do I do to pull out of a minor road.

I told them all about checking all directions, approaching at whatever speed and gear, then position, and they all laughed at me saying that I'm still a newbie at driving if I'm still doing things like that. So I was like :eek: wtf.

I thought I told them all the correct things that they never do like me dad never signaling for exiting on a roundabout etc. So what happened here?

ReputationRep:
    Most people still do the things, they just don't do them in such an obvious and conscious way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by novadragon849)
    I thought I told them all the correct things that they never do like me dad never signaling for exiting on a roundabout etc. So what happened here?
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    Most people still do the things, they just don't do them in such an obvious and conscious way.
    Unfortunately many people drop into bad habits after a few years, the first thing that goes is observation, if you never catch someone in your blind spot, for example, you stop looking without realising it.
    Also people will justify their ommisions with something like "no one does that!" which leads to a general downward trend. Indicating off a RND is a good example, I don't, IF NO OTHER ROAD USERS WILL BENEFIT. If there's someone that will benefit I will indicate my turning.
    I'm not saying that everyone lets their skills decrease, some keep to the same level and some of us go for further training (see the AD thread) but it's very easy to get into bad habits. Mind you, some of the stuff on the L test isn't the best way to drive, but it is a SAFE way to drive (also not the safest, again see the AD thread).

ReputationRep:
    They might not check their blind spot but they have enough experience to have looked in their rear view mirror previously and know what's happening around instead.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, although I know a few drivers that don't, one has said, and I quote, "I never use my rear view mirror, can't see the point." which would be okay if he looked in the side mirrors enough but I've driven with him and he doesn't.
    Also lifesavers can catch things that move quickly, or may have been sat in the blind spot for a while - people overtaking slowly/MLOCers for example, or the R1 rider that wasn't there ten seconds ago.
    My basic view is that the skills people use, such as steering and braking, generally remain the same level, but those that only get used ocassionally will degrade. How many people that have been driving for years fluff up reverse bay parking or parallel parking for example?

ReputationRep:
    I still do all the important stuff, but I don't do things like checking my mirrors before stopping at a junction/roundabout - I'm going to stop whether or not somebody behind me is too close, so I don't see the point.

ReputationRep:
    i drive with one hand on the wheel and the other on the gear stick most of the time, and have also gotten into the habbit of putting the car in neutral when i think i need or do need to stop.. hmm.

i think once you learn to drive, you aren't as careful. once you are sure of your self on the road, then you stop being a learner.

ReputationRep:
    I've picked up a lot of bad habits .. one handed driving, coasting, speeding etc. If I had to re-take my test I reckon I could still pass though!

ReputationRep:
    At roundabouts and the like, it's generally a good idea to look at the person so you know where they're actually going to get off and not just their indicators.

And I generally do most of the people people have mentioned above :p:

ReputationRep:
    uhm, I was going to reply to you and say that I've totally fallen into bad habits (passed a year ago)...but thinking about it, I reckon some of the typical 'learner' stuff is still ingrained in me, I just don't think about it anymore. I still check blind spots and mirrors etc, I just don't conciously realise I'm doing it most of the time...

ReputationRep:
    I think I have fallen into 2 bad habits since passing my test well over a year ago.

I generally only keep one hand on the steering wheel, I often have one hand on the gearstick or else it rattles in my normal car. My van I generally need both hands on the wheel, or it wanders.

Also, I never use my side mirrors any more. Mainly because my everyday car has none, meaning I don't use them when I'm driving the van. The daily only has the central rear view mirror, which I use a fair amount.

ReputationRep:
    Same here re: mirrors.
    I dont have them either. Its just natural to turn round and physically look. You can see more anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    I still do all the important stuff, but I don't do things like checking my mirrors before stopping at a junction/roundabout - I'm going to stop whether or not somebody behind me is too close, so I don't see the point.
    Same really, never could see the point in that. Plus I usually don't check my blind spots when I move off either, although I do on busy roads obviously. Other than that I'm not too bad :p:

ReputationRep:
    After a few months of passing my test, i have developed way too many driving habbits

e.g. revving engine too much when pulling away, entering roundabouts in small gaps etc

ReputationRep:
    If we all stayed at test standard, we would all be making silly mistakes, not predicting and analysing what might happen on the road and concentrating so much on the road that we cannot analyse or take into account anything else.

i.e. we would all be very unexperienced drivers.

Therefore, yes of course drivers are not the same as test standard, you get experienced and become a better driver. When you pass your test you are not a good driver by any means, you start learning to drive once you have passed your test.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magnum)
    entering roundabouts in small gaps etc
    i would say that a sign of a good driver rather than a bad habit. by enetering in smaller gaps is shows you know thw size and speed of your car, all things a good driver should know.

the amount of people who think thier car is the size of a bus is unbelievable, watching lots of people tying to park is just funny at times.

ReputationRep:
    Well i passed my test in 2001 and then passed my Advanced Driving Test in April this year, so i think that i have maintained and perhaps improved upon the skills that i was taught when i learnt to drive.

So i guess i might be not too far off 'test standard'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 18, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.