English literature new GCSE 9-1 Inspector calls

Watch
ahm_7890
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Any advice on how to revise for English literature mock on Inspector calls. My god are the new GCSEs confusing i dont know how the questions are gonna be set or anything but so far I have come to some sort of conclusions that planning essays on all the characters and themes tracking in order of acts is not such a bad thing. Even if there is gonna be an extract question, adding a extra paragraph on the extract plus your reference to the whole play which you have already planned should get you somewhere i guess. Oh i dont know anymore please someone help. Thank you
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll assume you're doing AQA English Lit, in which case you're going to get a choice of 2 questions to answer. It's out of 30 marks + 4 for SPaG. It is not going to be an extract question, you have to memorise the book. It may ask you about a certain theme, or about a character and you just have to write about it. You need to make a few points, back them up with evidence, and then analyse the evidence to show how it supports your points. And then you end with a conclusion.
ahm_7890
Rep:
?
(Original post by BobBobson)
I'll assume you're doing AQA English Lit, in which case you're going to get a choice of 2 questions to answer. It's out of 30 marks + 4 for SPaG. It is not going to be an extract question, you have to memorise the book. It may ask you about a certain theme, or about a character and you just have to write about it. You need to make a few points, back them up with evidence, and then analyse the evidence to show how it supports your points. And then you end with a conclusion.
Thank you so much this was a great help. Will take your advice.
AnonymousEric
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ahm_7890)
Any advice on how to revise for English literature mock on Inspector calls. My god are the new GCSEs confusing i dont know how the questions are gonna be set or anything but so far I have come to some sort of conclusions that planning essays on all the characters and themes tracking in order of acts is not such a bad thing. Even if there is gonna be an extract question, adding a extra paragraph on the extract plus your reference to the whole play which you have already planned should get you somewhere i guess. Oh i dont know anymore please someone help. Thank you
Honestly, don't sweat about English Lit. Focus on Language, as getting good at that will naturally improve your Literature grade. I hardly revised for English Lit or Lang, and still came out with A in both, from being in the bottom set. For An Inspector Calls, just memorise two or three pivotal moments and quotes for each character, learn the major and underlying themes of the play, remember to always link back to the question, and be extremely familiar with the play, I.E. Read it several times. Oh, and don't forget, speak really pretentiously, which is essentially speaking like a complete **** by using long and convoluted words as frequently as possible. Good luck.
ahm_7890
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnonymousEric)
Honestly, don't sweat about English Lit. Focus on Language, as getting good at that will naturally improve your Literature grade. I hardly revised for English Lit or Lang, and still came out with A in both, from being in the bottom set. For An Inspector Calls, just memorise two or three pivotal moments and quotes for each character, learn the major and underlying themes of the play, remember to always link back to the question, and be extremely familiar with the play, I.E. Read it several times. Oh, and don't forget, speak really pretentiously, which is essentially speaking like a complete **** by using long and convoluted words as frequently as possible. Good luck.
Thank you, that was really reassuring. I guess i have been kinda stressing a lot these mocks are really hitting me
trabajadora
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't really help on the whole exam format thing because I did the old spec, but if you ever need more information about characters/symbols/themes etc. these might help:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5Stxx95vZ3tlo2
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ycEDh1Ugke9tmb
hello12356
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
is this aqa because I've already done it
CraigBackner
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BobBobson)
hey for english lit,do you reckon that the same/similar question from the specimens will come up in the real exam, mr bruff says assume nothing
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CraigBackner)
hey for english lit,do you reckon that the same/similar question from the specimens will come up in the real exam, mr bruff says assume nothing
I would imagine specifically different questions will come up but in the same style. So it wont ask about the same themes / characters thag have already been in speckmen or mock papers, but the questions willl be in the same style. Thats the point of a specimen paper - to see the style of questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (809)
42.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.49%

Watched Threads