Jivithkumar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Dear all,

I have an AQA GCSE English exam in 6 months and I am very bad in general, to be honest. I think my main flaw is creative writing. In addition, it is a new spec so there are little papers and this board is very unique in it's exam style. Do you have any advice in terms of what to do in order to get an A*?

I was thinking of reading the Guardian and other newspapers to help with the nonfiction paper. For the fiction paper, I was going to read 4 books before the exam. Is that enough to get an A*

I would appreciate all of you guys' help. I'm stressing out really bad as I really have no idea what to do. I need help bad!

Thanks
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think just reading books and reading newspapers, especially the Guardian (eww), is enough to get you an A*. What you really need is practice, practice writing. It seems tedious, but that's the only way. Write an essay under timed conditions, mark it, set yourself a target and repeat. The essay can be about anything, just get used to writing. AQA English Language isn't very unique in it's style. For each paper, 40 marks is devoted to writing, you just write one essay from a choice of two. For the Reading section of the papers, just practice analysing books, non-fiction, anything piece of text you can find, and pick out their techniques and comment on them.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
Nope I dont think its anywhere near enough.
Talk to your teacher.

There should already be revision books with sampkle questions on the new syllabus and model answers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Lan.../dp/1782944141
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
28.97%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.35%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.54%

Watched Threads