The Student Room Group

Can I study Biomedical Science and go into medical research and not test on animals?

I do know that animal testing is a vital part of medical research, and that it's all as humane as possible. I just don't think I could do it myself. But everyone is telling me that I'll have to in university and you can't get research jobs without doing it? Should I just pick another career path?
The thing I don't understand about why people are against animal testing is how do you expect goods to be manufactured?
medicine is tested on animals, the ink in your pen is tested on animals because it should be that way. Humans are far more important than animals honestly.
Reply 2
Did you actually read my question? I know it's necessary. I just can't do it myself, personally.
Yes you can
http://lushprize.org/lush-prize-is-launched/
Whether are not you can make any decent scientific discoveries is another matter.
There are many areas of research that do not require testing on animals.
Original post by samantham999
The thing I don't understand about why people are against animal testing is how do you expect goods to be manufactured?
medicine is tested on animals, the ink in your pen is tested on animals because it should be that way. Humans are far more important than animals honestly.

Exactly. Would you rather we test cures on people as the first living test subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Failingstudent98
Exactly. Would you rather we test cures on people as the first living test subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no point even arguing with people who are 'against animal testing' the vaccines they probably have which have kept them alive for however long are bloody tested on animals!!
Reply 7
Listen. If you want to debate animal testing go somewhere else. If any of you actually read my post, which you would think is the first thing you do when you click on a thread, you would know that I'm not against animal testing. All I wanted was a straight answer of whether I, me, personally, would have to carry out tests on animals.

Thank you TraineeBMS and Kadak for actually answering.
Original post by abbie d
Listen. If you want to debate animal testing go somewhere else. If any of you actually read my post, which you would think is the first thing you do when you click on a thread, you would know that I'm not against animal testing. All I wanted was a straight answer of whether I, me, personally, would have to carry out tests on animals.

Thank you TraineeBMS and Kadak for actually answering.

Sorry I was just curious as I've never met someone against it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abbie d
I do know that animal testing is a vital part of medical research, and that it's all as humane as possible. I just don't think I could do it myself. But everyone is telling me that I'll have to in university and you can't get research jobs without doing it? Should I just pick another career path?

That's not a problem but you have to be able to explain why you feel that way and be able to talk about the benefits and ethics of animal research. You may change your mind later. Generally good biomedical research involves a combination of in vitro and in vivo work to get published but this is something you can think of later down the line.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending