Stand up 2 cancer campaign

Watch
Bros R Us
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm obviously in support of the whole thing but what I don't really get is how a large section of it is about kicking cancers arse and shouting things like ' take that cancer, in your face! 'just now on the campaign they smashed glass panes with the words ' kick cancer in the arse '

i don't get it, cancer isn't a living thing that is being evil and doing this to spite us so why are these ppl treating it as such by saying these phrases all the time (?)
KnowledgeIsBest
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
idiots.
sunnydespair
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sorry but cancer is a dastard. I hate the drick
ihatePE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
motivators, it's what cancer patients need to hear, i guess.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it's an attempt to humanise it a bit, to try to make it less of a taboo for people to talk about i guess.
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cancer is evil; I like their campaign.
Bros R Us
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
Cancer is evil; I like their campaign.
how can something that isn't conscious or have a mind be evil (?)
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bros R Us)
how can something that isn't conscious or have a mind be evil (?)
Because treating it is a ****ing nightmare. It weakens people, it kills people, it kills peoples loved ones and it can at times create a death sentence for a person.

Tell me how that isn't evil?
Elizabeth II
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it helps to raise money, why should it matter? It doesn't matter. At all. Cancer has taken so many lives and if the approach to it encourages people to donate to cancer research, then why not?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
These campaign probably seem a bit weird to people in their 20s or under... but til quite recently there was a very different attitude to cancer. people didn't want to talk about it at all. These campaigns are really aimed at older generations (who are also the most likely to be getting cancer diagnoses)

My Grandma went to her death from cancer in the 80s without knowing what was wrong with her - Doctors, nurses and her own family conspired to keep it secret from her - she'd ask why she wasn't getting better and no one would give her a straight answer... it was quite a widely held belief that cancer was so terrifying that if you talked about cancer openly to someone with cancer they'd spend the rest of their life hysterical. Some people really did think this was the best thing and that they were carrying a burden for the cancer patient.
Bros R Us
Rep:
?
Because treating it is a ****ing nightmare. It weakens people, it kills people, it kills peoples loved ones and it can at times create a death sentence for a person.

Yes, but it's just a biological mechanism, it isn't thinking nor consciously choosing to kill ppl. hundreds of ppl die from falling down stairs every year so are stairs evil too (?) :lolwut:
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
These campaign probably seem a bit weird to people in their 20s or under... but til quite recently there was a very different attitude to cancer. people didn't want to talk about it at all. These campaigns are really aimed at older generations (who are also the most likely to be getting cancer diagnoses)

My Grandma went to her death from cancer in the 80s without knowing what was wrong with her - Doctors, nurses and her own family conspired to keep it secret from her - she'd ask why she wasn't getting better and no one would give her a straight answer... it was quite a widely held belief that cancer was so terrifying that if you talked about cancer openly to someone with cancer they'd spend the rest of their life hysterical. Some people really did think this was the best thing and that they were carrying a burden for the cancer patient.
:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Cancer is awful. It terrifies me to think someone I love dearly, or even myself could possibly get a diagnosis for such a horrible illness. I don't think a lot of people understand the pain of cancer until it touches you, your friends or family.
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, but it's just a biological mechanism, it isn't thinking nor consciously choosing to kill ppl. hundreds of ppl die from falling down stairs every year so are stairs evil too (?) :lolwut:
I'm not going to write paragraphs for you, if you fail to understand what I'm saying then it's your loss.
GJ01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From a biological background, I understand what you're trying to say and as i watched, i was dubious of the way they described progress on cancer treatment as kicking it's arse etc. However, the overwhelming majority of people watching i'm sure would not have been of a biological background to completely understand cancer as anything but a terrible disease, certainly not down to a cellular or molecular level. To appeal to the mass market watching, it was probably the most appropriate way to word the challenges of cancer in its treatment and prevention, and to inspire the most people to donate.

In contrast to what you said, cancer is a living thing, but i agree, it isn't evil. It's a natural phenomenon, increasingly more prevalent with the ageing population.
Bros R Us
Rep:
?
I'm not going to write paragraphs for you, if you fail to understand what I'm saying then it's your loss.
i understand what you said it just doesn't make sense because cancer isn't a thing that can think and make decisions therefore it can't be evil
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

There are arguably far worse diseases like dementia.So how would your scale of evil work ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (46)
31.29%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.93%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (30)
20.41%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.52%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
25.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed