Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by mrseamus)
    Hi

You can still be dedicated and happy even though you focus.
    Anyway whats wrong with making money? It keeps a lot of people happy. Giving them chances to do things they would have never done, going places they would have never gone, seeing things and feel the world feel alive
    instead of sitting in some car, train, bus or underground 2-4 hours a day.

Hours takes from their quality time they were supposed to spend with their family and beloved ones, but no I´d rather sit somewhere looking at the trees passing by. But it´s not only trees passing by its TIME passing by.

Time that was supposed to be spend with the ones I just mentioned.

Ask arround and you will se how many people will agree with this. But they never took the chance or were never given the chance to break out and change their lives. Suddenly many of them woke up and the kids had left the house moved away for college maybe. And they realise sitting alone in the kitchen watching morning tv that they did´nt get to do many of the things they wanted to with their kids, and now the kids has gone away.

But its never to late to take control, I have people in my network that have retired and build businesses now spending all their time with their family and friends doing the things they should have done many years ago. Now they have done it, so its never too late.

Find out what you want from life, have it in the back of your head and some day wou will be ready because you know that the possibility is there and it can be done. YOU have the chance when youre ready. Only you can take control of your life and change it. But its up to you to do it. YOU have to take the first step.
    man..... i sooooo hope I work with someone like you when i'm older..... you're making my dream of changing the world and getting successful more and more transparent

*hugs you close* we can do this.... together

ReputationRep:
    Hi

You can still be dedicated and happy even though you focus.
    Anyway whats wrong with making money? It keeps a lot of people happy. Giving them chances to do things they would have never done, going places they would have never gone, seeing things and feel the world feel alive
    instead of sitting in some car, train, bus or underground 2-4 hours a day.

Hours takes from their quality time they were supposed to spend with their family and beloved ones, but no I´d rather sit somewhere looking at the trees passing by. But it´s not only trees passing by its TIME passing by.

Time that was supposed to be spend with the ones I just mentioned.

Ask arround and you will se how many people will agree with this. But they never took the chance or were never given the chance to break out and change their lives. Suddenly many of them woke up and the kids had left the house moved away for college maybe. And they realise sitting alone in the kitchen watching morning tv that they did´nt get to do many of the things they wanted to with their kids, and now the kids has gone away.

But its never to late to take control, I have people in my network that have retired and build businesses now spending all their time with their family and friends doing the things they should have done many years ago. Now they have done it, so its never too late.

Find out what you want from life, have it in the back of your head and some day wou will be ready because you know that the possibility is there and it can be done. YOU have the chance when youre ready. Only you can take control of your life and change it. But its up to you to do it. YOU have to take the first step.
    Quite frankly I find your posts creepy. If you're the successful business man you claim to be, what are you doing hanging around forums for young students?

I suspect you have an ulterior motive i.e preying on young people to recruit for some dodgy business venture. I'm just waiting for you to start posting details of how we can succeed if we get in touch with you!! I'm convinced your posts will increasingly provide details of how we can 'take control' through your 'network'.

Some of the terminology used are americanisms, filled with the kind of motivational rubbish you expect to find on dodgy sky channels.

I'd say to anyone reading this post BEWARE; I don't trust this guy one bit!!

(Original post by Nikki J S)
    Quite frankly I find your posts creepy. If you're the successful business man you claim to be, what are you doing hanging around forums for young students?

I suspect you have an ulterior motive i.e preying on young people to recruit for some dodgy business venture. I'm just waiting for you to start posting details of how we can succeed if we get in touch with you!! I'm convinced your posts will increasingly provide details of how we can 'take control' through your 'network'.

Some of the terminology used are americanisms, filled with the kind of motivational rubbish you expect to find on dodgy sky channels.

I'd say to anyone reading this post BEWARE; I don't trust this guy one bit!!
    LMAO that post made me laugh!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH it was the way you portray some of it! " I find your posts Creepy "

Anyway, what do people here consider to be a high salary? THAT is within reason.... no point in saying something like 900,000...... what do YOU think is a good salary? if anyone is reading...

*is very career focussed*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaggenDaZ)
    LMAO that post made me laugh!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH it was the way you portray some of it! " I find your posts Creepy "

Anyway, what do people here consider to be a high salary? THAT is within reason.... no point in saying something like 900,000...... what do YOU think is a good salary? if anyone is reading...

*is very career focussed*

a good salary is what you need to do the things YOU want to do, without having to live of nothing for the rest of the week, until you get paid again.

a good salary is what you need to do the things YOU want to do, without having to live of nothing for the rest of the week, until you get paid again.
    heh that is true

what is a good salary for you?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how old you are and where you live, I'm gunna live in the city so will need a slightly higher salary to survive.

Anyways, I'd say 20k is a good for a graduate, gradually rising to 50k for middleage.

ReputationRep:
    A few years ago, I was earning enough money to never have to worry about the price of things and could buy pretty much whatever I wanted (within reason obviously). I gave that all up to go to university with the aim to eventually do a job I love rather than one that will bring me lots of money (my friends thought I was mad). The point is, I now have the least money I have ever had.

I can honestly say, I am just as happy now (happier in fact) than I was when I had plenty of money. Perhaps people who haven't experienced both will find this hard to believe but it is true. You will be surprised how quickly the novelty of money wears off.

(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    It depends on how old you are and where you live, I'm gunna live in the city so will need a slightly higher salary to survive.

Anyways, I'd say 20k is a good for a graduate, gradually rising to 50k for middleage.
    Interesting......

£20,000 is a good starting salary I guess... and it all depends if you have a girlfriend or not, also working full time

Money/Satisfaction/Prospects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    A few years ago, I was earning enough money to never have to worry about the price of things and could buy pretty much whatever I wanted (within reason obviously). I gave that all up to go to university with the aim to eventually do a job I love rather than one that will bring me lots of money (my friends thought I was mad). The point is, I now have the least money I have ever had.

I can honestly say, I am just as happy now (happier in fact) than I was when I had plenty of money. Perhaps people who haven't experienced both will find this hard to believe but it is true. You will be surprised how quickly the novelty of money wears off.
    True, having money helps but it isn't the sole purpose of living (or it shouldn't be).

ReputationRep:

*is curious*

what did you work as?

yes and what was your salary?

ReputationRep:
    what is a good salary for you?
    hmm..tough Q - maybe around up to 30K as a grad. - paying back student loan, living in fairly expensive area etc.
    then up to some years at ~50K - saving to buy house/wedding/start family etc

but then i plan to have a family..so would probably want to work part time as a consultant so ~50K ish still.. might go the academic route.. then his salary becomes important..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    *is curious*

what did you work as?
    Just before quiting to go to university I was a network engineer / systems administrator and project coordinator for local government. I am not saying by any means I was a millionnaire or anything like that but I had enough to just buy all the things I wanted, live in a wealthy area and have a new car. Now, I don't even have enough money to buy myself a new pair of jeans!! I actually appreciate things a lot more now when I do get them though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    hmm..tough Q - maybe around up to 30K as a grad. - paying back student loan, living in fairly expensive area etc.
    then up to some years at ~50K - saving to buy house/wedding/start family etc

but then i plan to have a family..so would probably want to work part time as a consultant so ~50K ish still.. might go the academic route.. then his salary becomes important..

:eek: :eek: elles, pull yourself together, i'm after at least £200K for a cardiac surgeon! how on earth is one meant to live in south ken with £50K ? marry a barrister

ReputationRep:
    Just before quiting to go to university I was a network engineer / systems administrator and project coordinator for local government. I am not saying by any means I was a millionnaire or anything like that but I had enough to just buy all the things I wanted, live in a wealthy area and have a new car. Now, I don't even have enough money to buy myself a new pair of jeans!! I actually appreciate things a lot more now when I do get them though!
    wow, university education is obviously more attractive to some people than lots of money didn't you say at some point you wanted to be a doctor (as post-grad)?

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek: elles, pull yourself together, i'm after at least £200K for a cardiac surgeon! how on earth is one meant to live in south ken with £50K ? marry a barrister
    Only just realised you are a medical student! cool! After my degree, I intend on applying to medical school! That is what I was talking about earlier - my lifes ambition is to be a doctor and actually make a difference!

Hope your course is going well for you!

ReputationRep:
    wow, university education is obviously more attractive to some people than lots of money didn't you say at some point you wanted to be a doctor (as post-grad)?
    Yup, that is the plan! I am in my first year of a BSc Human Biology degree at the moment. I am planning on starting to get some medical work experience after christmas. Hopefully, if I can graduate with a 1st and lots of work experience, I will have a chance of getting into medical school.

I am also considering the option of studying for my medical degree in the US. I am going out there this summer on a 'fact-finding' trip to see how feasible that may or may not be.

Do you mind if I ask how are you finding the workload?

ReputationRep:
    well, i shall merely be working part time.. & perhaps doing something worthy like being a fellow..yay, that would be fun, or writing books.

whilst raising my family of 4, not in london (!) & being all wife like..
    & he can earn the big money..

(& just realised i have no idea if you're male or female..)

ReputationRep:
    Yup, that is the plan! I am in my first year of a BSc Human Biology degree at the moment. I am planning on starting to get some medical work experience after christmas. Hopefully, if I can graduate with a 1st and lots of work experience, I will have a chance of getting into medical school.

I am also considering the option of studying for my medical degree in the US. I am going out there this summer on a 'fact-finding' trip to see how feasible that may or may not be.

Do you mind if I ask how are you finding the workload?
    cool..don't forget, don't just spend a fortnight in some hospital holding the tail ends of a consultants pin-striped suit jacket! lots of post-grads in my year did some HCA experience or working in a hospice for a while. we also have an actuary which is a bit random.

i'm not sure about the US, i thought you had to sit a few more external exams and i've been told it's not all that easy to get a visa to train as a doctor etc - i've found a link for you about studying med in the US...not sure if it contradicts what i've just said.

http://www.fulbright.co.uk/eas/study.../medicine.html

i am finding my workload quite tough at the moment, but not as bad as the first year. the 1st year was absolute hell (esp. the autumn term) and we had 9-5s pretty much every day. it has settled down a bit now though and we're doing more clinically orientated stuff but there's some major exams after christmas and loads to learn!! i'm planning to intercalate next year in either BSc Anatomy or BSc Cardiovascular Sciences so at least that's something you won't need to stress over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    (& just realised i have no idea if you're male or female..)

i'm male, and you'll have to wait a few years if you want to marry me, i'm not planning on getting married until 2011 and kids will be 2013

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.