Engineers are paid poo money
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s43)
    LOL
    See everyone laughs at engineers and our greasy rags and spanners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nemesis420)
    If u even earn 100K then u would have to pay 40K as tax. This really sucks, it better to work in a country where there is no tax, like Dubai.

If u self-employed u have to pay 22% as tax, that why G.Ps earn alot of money. My G.P get around 200K and only pay 22% tax. So if u want alot of money either move to country with no tax or become self-employed.
    Thats not true.
    The first 3.something grand u earn is tax free, or something like that. Up to £30,500 you pay 22%. Only then onward do you pay 40%. So you do tha math because I can't be bothered, well I've heard thats the way the tax system works anyway. Otherwise who the heck would want to earn 33k when they'd be better off earning 30k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    See everyone laughs at engineers and our greasy rags and spanners

But what a lovely spanner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    But what a lovely spanner
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Engineers are paid poo money
    Unless you do a dyson or a hoover. Get rid of your morals and become corporate :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I heard you could earn a lot with plumbing as well! A friend of mine who's a plumber (self employed) earns more than 100k p.a. Maybe he's just lucky, I dunno....

I think I might do a Maths and something else degree (economic or computer science), become an actuary which is quite good pay, then set up my own company if I'm not yet satisfied. I enjoy Maths and things like that but just worried that I might end up with a boring job :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabelle_D)
    Thats not true.
    The first 3.something grand u earn is tax free, or something like that. Up to £30,500 you pay 22%. Only then onward do you pay 40%. So you do tha math because I can't be bothered, well I've heard thats the way the tax system works anyway. Otherwise who the heck would want to earn 33k when they'd be better off earning 30k.

yeah but if you're on 200k a year your first 4750 at no tax is nothing, you might as well just say you pay 50% tax (plus 10% NI) and live with it.

when you start paying rediculas amounts of money in tax you'll be anoyed by it too!!! You know that a family with an income of 20k is no better off than one with an income of 12k? due to tax taken off the 20k guy and benifits given to the 12k guy it works out they take home about the same!

ReputationRep:
    Who thought of TAX?

ReputationRep:
    Who thought of TAX?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s43)
    Who thought of TAX?
    Rich land owners probably! I don't get how they'd work income related council tax, i mean surely someone on 30k a year's bins cost the same to take out that someone on 20k a year???

ReputationRep:
    £18k for a Graduate Engineer at Fujitsu. Poo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    £18k for a Graduate Engineer at Fujitsu. Poo.
    Depends how quickly it rises...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    I don't get how they'd work income related council tax, i mean surely someone on 30k a year's bins cost the same to take out that someone on 20k a year???

I think it's supposed to be as a percentage of your earnings rather than a fixed amount, cos £1000 to someone on low earnings is worth more than to someone on high earnings (that's the logic behind it anyway). It's a way of trying to make sure poorer people have a similar percentage of disposable income to richer people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    I think it's supposed to be as a percentage of your earnings rather than a fixed amount, cos £1000 to someone on low earnings is worth more than to someone on high earnings (that's the logic behind it anyway). It's a way of trying to make sure poorer people have a similar percentage of disposable income to richer people.
    I get what they want to do but i don't see how its fair, if both parties get the same service why should one pay more than the other? Surely the way its done now is good enough, big house therefore more rubish etc so you pay more, smaller house less rubish pay less?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    My cousins dad is a royal naval surgeon, he earns 100k+ basic salary, then there is all the freebies you get with being in the navy like, free private education for your kids, travel expenses and cheap accomodation if you want it.
    "free private education for your kids"

In a public sector job at the cost of the taxpayer? How ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    "free private education for your kids"

In a public sector job at the cost of the taxpayer? How ridiculous.
    Well they need to send them to boarding schools as a naval doctor will be moved all round the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Well they need to send them to boarding schools as a naval doctor will be moved all round the world.
    after all they are risking their lives for the good of you aren't they, deserve some perks!

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of money around if you are a skilled manual worker - plumber, joiner, carpenter, window/blind fitter (can go self employed).

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.