Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That's what I said!!! Plumbing, I heard if you're skilled and lucky, you could earn tonnes. Hmm.... but if work runs out, there's no education to fall back on... I guess getting a degree in something is the best option....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    That's what I said!!! Plumbing, I heard if you're skilled and lucky, you could earn tonnes. Hmm.... but if work runs out, there's no education to fall back on... I guess getting a degree in something is the best option....
    I think that's been slightly over-stated, you can earn a very good salary, but not as much as qualified professionals.

ReputationRep:
    So we have:
    Investment Bankers - hard to get into
    Forces Doctors - Not as hard
    Doctors with Private Work- If you can get into med school
    Some lawyers - in the right firms
    Barristers' clerks - no idea about openings
    Tradesmen - though the ones that we've used are not on £100k
    Some Accountants - No idea myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I think that's been slightly over-stated, you can earn a very good salary, but not as much as qualified professionals.

I don't think it is overstated. There is a severe shortage of skilled labourers (plumbers, electricians, joiners) within this country with relatively few young people taking up the trades to replace them. Obviously this has pushed up labour rates to phenomenal levels in some instances. I have read recently of investment bankers and accountants leaving their jobs to re train as plumbers because at this point in time they can earn more money.

The Government has also produced new development plans which state that their will be a shortage of over 1 million homes in this country by 2015. This can only be good news for those who work in the construction industry, particularly in the 'new homes' market, which is booming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    So we have:
    Investment Bankers - hard to get into
    Forces Doctors - Not as hard
    Doctors with Private Work- If you can get into med school
    Some lawyers - in the right firms
    Barristers' clerks - no idea about openings
    Tradesmen - though the ones that we've used are not on £100k
    Some Accountants - No idea myself.

I'm not sure I agree with the statement that force doctors is comparatively easy to get into. Before you get to the stage of being a force doctor you will have had to get through that small obstacle called medical school, which incidentally requires at least five years hard slog!

If you manage to survive the five years and successfully qualify (pre-registration), you can then apply to be a force doctor. Application to these posts requires a rigorous officer selection process, which tests both physical and mental suitability for a career in the forces. If you survive this, then maybe you're in with a chance.

Sounds comparatively hard to me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    I don't think it is overstated. There is a severe shortage of skilled labourers (plumbers, electricians, joiners) within this country with relatively few young people taking up the trades to replace them. Obviously this has pushed up labour rates to phenomenal levels in some instances. I have read recently of investment bankers and accountants leaving their jobs to re train as plumbers because at this point in time they can earn more money.

The Government has also produced new development plans which state that their will be a shortage of over 1 million homes in this country by 2015. This can only be good news for those who work in the construction industry, particularly in the 'new homes' market, which is booming.
    Only a very small proportion of plumbers earn over £30k, but £30k for a tradesman (or -person) is very good.

Whilst there is a demand for labourers, it does not mean that all skilled workers are well paid - much of the extra money will go into big companies hired to undertake the work.

ReputationRep:
    Only a very small proportion of plumbers earn over £30k, but £30k for a tradesman (or -person) is very good.

Whilst there is a demand for labourers, it does not mean that all skilled workers are well paid - much of the extra money will go into big companies hired to undertake the work.

a plumber might earn 30k if they're lucky, but an Engineer with a few years experience will expect that surely?

ReputationRep:
    My college does loads of vocational courses and I know plenty of people who have chosen pumbling and carpentry courses when they are capable of reasonable a-levels(C and Ds) as they heard trades such as pumbling are in demand. If this trend is nationwide then come 2010, there will be loads of unemployed plumbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    a plumber might earn 30k if they're lucky, but an Engineer with a few years experience will expect that surely?
    But Engineering and plumbing are very different - engineering normally requires a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    My college does loads of vocational courses and I know plenty of people who have chosen pumbling and carpentry courses when they are capable of reasonable a-levels(C and Ds) as they heard trades such as pumbling are in demand. If this trend is nationwide then come 2010, there will be loads of unemployed plumbers.

If you read recent Government proposals around development plans for the Country over the next ten years, they are quite clear that demand for housing (particularly new housing) will far outstrip supply. The figures are approximated to around 1 million. Given this scenario I think there will be plenty of work in ten years time for those who have started training as plumbers etc. Don't forget, a lot of those currently in the job will have reached, or be nearing, retirement age.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I think the way to earn a decent amount of money in these trades is to be self employed or set up your own company.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I think the way to earn a decent amount of money in these trades is to be self employed or set up your own company.
    So then you can do tax dodges as well *evil smile*

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I agree with the statement that force doctors is comparatively easy to get into. Before you get to the stage of being a force doctor you will have had to get through that small obstacle called medical school, which incidentally requires at least five years hard slog!

If you manage to survive the five years and successfully qualify (pre-registration), you can then apply to be a force doctor. Application to these posts requires a rigorous officer selection process, which tests both physical and mental suitability for a career in the forces. If you survive this, then maybe you're in with a chance.

Sounds comparatively hard to me!!
    I do know about med school - got a place
    Drop-out rates and failures tend to be lower for med, but DO happen.
    However, there is a shortage of Doctor's in the forces - people do not want to join - not sure why myself.
    However the sallaries and benefits they yet would require a good private practice in addition to NHS for normal Doctor's - and so is easier - but not easy by any means.

ReputationRep:
    You may ahve got into medschool but I doubt you really have a realistic idea of what the next 5 or 6 years will entail - I thought I was well clued up and 'well away' when I got my place. 4 years into the course and it has been tough. You'd be surprised just how many people do drop out.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    You may ahve got into medschool but I doubt you really have a realistic idea of what the next 5 or 6 years will entail - I thought I was well clued up and 'well away' when I got my place. 4 years into the course and it has been tough. You'd be surprised just how many people do drop out.

Good luck!
    Thanks I'll need it!!
    I knew it was hard but supposed that they would select people who could take it. What happens to those who drop out? Do they just change to a less intensive course or leave education full stop :eek: ?

ReputationRep:
    They do try to select appropriate people, however, inevitably there are always going to be some who 'can't keep up, can't cope, realise med isn't for them' etc etc

Some transfer, some leave. Here at Notts, some leave after the BMedSci.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    They do try to select appropriate people, however, inevitably there are always going to be some who 'can't keep up, can't cope, realise med isn't for them' etc etc

Some transfer, some leave. Here at Notts, some leave after the BMedSci.
    Thanks for that info.

ReputationRep:
    I remember one month ago when I wanted to study medicine, but then I realised that I didn't want it enough to go through 5 years of studying.... oh and because I got a C in english language; the uni I wanna go to don't accept retakes , oh well.............

BACK TO THE TOPIC OF HIGHEST PAID JOBS

ReputationRep:
    the best way to get into highest paid jobs is to do maths or physics related degrees then u can enter anything in business because the subjects are all about problem solving. i heard being a merchant banker is the proper get rich quick route though, if u can be sharp and clever n morals dont matter

ReputationRep:
    Career rankings:

1:Management Consultancy (I love to travel, though I hear it becomes a pain later on)

2:Investment Banking (Any front office job but Corp Finance where your hourly wage isn't much more than the bin man).

3conomist (can command v.high salaries in IB's)

4:Medicine and Dentistry (Great job security, but hours suck too and also not paid enough)

5:Law (Highly competitive but worth it in the end)

6tockbroker (nice earner for smoothtalkers, your degree won't help you here)

7:Civil Service-Faststream (Application process more difficult than job itself)

8:Techie (goodbye eyesight)

9:Accountant (yawn)

10: Pilot

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.