The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
jumpunderaboat
Yep, generally it's a 9-5 and doesn't have the stress of working in an IB. :smile:

Yay!!!!!!! what's an IB?
Reply 141
Up revising chemistry, not sleeping tonight.... is this healthy?
Reply 142
MRLX69
Yay!!!!!!! what's an IB?

Investment Bank

Do you know the exact process of becoming a fully fledged actuary? - As it's still on my list of possible careers
Reply 143
MRLX69
Up revising chemistry, not sleeping tonight.... is this healthy?

Same, well with ICT and it's coursework rather than revision, oh and I'm not actually doing much of it :redface:
Reply 144
lol, i can tell :tongue: . I'm just trying to get a topic done before we start so i seem smart in class, lol....
It's something like 10 years or so to get to the top ranks. You need to do quite a fewexaminations to get there.... a bit like training to be a surgeon. The top rankers earn more than £300k p.a. but i'm not hoping to go that far. I just want enough to pay all my depts, get a house, and get my family started....... I have more info somewhere in my messy room, I'll find it tonight and give you the actual details if you wish, (can't be asked to do it right now). Doing a maths degree is like completeing about 3 or 5 of them (can't remember), I think I still have to take the tests but I would have covered most of the mathematics required in my degree.
Reply 145
Going to make some tea.... eye lids won't keep open........
Reply 146
MRLX69
lol, i can tell :tongue: . I'm just trying to get a topic done before we start so i seem smart in class, lol....
It's something like 10 years or so to get to the top ranks. You need to do quite a fewexaminations to get there.... a bit like training to be a surgeon. The top rankers earn more than £300k p.a. but i'm not hoping to go that far. I just want enough to pay all my depts, get a house, and get my family started....... I have more info somewhere in my messy room, I'll find it tonight and give you the actual details if you wish, (can't be asked to do it right now). Doing a maths degree is like completeing about 3 or 5 of them (can't remember), I think I still have to take the tests but I would have covered most of the mathematics required in my degree.

Cheers, hope that didn't distract too much from the Chem :biggrin:
I've heard the pay is really good £55k p.a. average or something plus like you said much more for those at the top. So financially it seems like a good career plus not that much stress only thing is that I'm guessing it's quite tedious particularly at first.
I'm doing Maths and Economics at uni (hopefully) so I'm guessing I would have also covered a fair few exams, anyway still loads of time to decide upon a career :smile:
Reply 147
jumpunderaboat
I've heard the pay is really good £55k p.a. average or something plus like you said much more for those at the top. So financially it seems like a good career plus not that much stress only thing is that I'm guessing it's quite tedious particularly at first.
I'm doing Maths and Economics at uni (hopefully) so I'm guessing I would have also covered a fair few exams, anyway still loads of time to decide upon a career :smile:

It's alright, I was hoping for a bit of distraction, lol. I think i'm more interested in research mathematics, but if i follow that career I'll end up poor! :frown: So i'm going to make some money while i'm young, then go back to uni. It seems like an alright job, I know it's going to get boring but I guess with the free time during the week I'll go to a few classes like dancing, piano, etc....... Plus with all the money I can afford to treat myself to luxury holidays hehe...
Reply 148
jumpunderaboat

If you're working in the city the average pay is at least £100k p.a. plus you get bonuses as well (some people say that's where the real money is). You start at something like £30k p.a. (that's a lot for beginners salary!), then it rises quickly.
Reply 149
MRLX69
If you're working in the city the average pay is at least £100k p.a. plus you get bonuses as well (some people say that's where the real money is). You start at something like £30k p.a. (that's a lot for beginners salary!), then it rises quickly.

Well I'll definately work in the city (probably London) whatever career I go for, as I'd get bored anywhere remotely rural. So thats good I guess.

My plan is to get a reasonable grad position and work my way up to get a fair amount of money so I can eventually start-up my own business, I'm an entrepreneur at heart :biggrin:
Reply 150
jumpunderaboat
Well I'll definately work in the city (probably London) whatever career I go for, as I'd get bored anywhere remotely rural. So thats good I guess.

My plan is to get a reasonable grad position and work my way up to get a fair amount of money so I can eventually start-up my own business, I'm an entrepreneur at heart :biggrin:

wow, good luck! I just want a basic job, not too stressful, can afford to give things to my future family my old man couldn't give me. What ever I do I want a job that pays more than £80k p.a. I want a big house :biggrin: and the latest car out at that time, lol
Reply 151
MRLX69
wow, good luck! I just want a basic job, not too stressful, can afford to give things to my future family my old man couldn't give me. What ever I do I want a job that pays more than £80k p.a. I want a big house :biggrin: and the latest car out at that time, lol

I'm the same in wanting a big house, best car etc. but once I've got it, I know I'll want a bigger house, newer car...sad really

Anyway as I also want a really challenging and to some extent a stressful job I hopefully should be able to get a fair bit of money and be in a good position to become my own boss and give my family a really good quality of life.
Reply 152
jumpunderaboat
I'm the same in wanting a big house, best car etc. but once I've got it, I know I'll want a bigger house, newer car...sad really

Anyway as I also want a really challenging and to some extent a stressful job I hopefully should be able to get a fair bit of money and be in a good position to become my own boss and give my family a really good quality of life.

If you start your own company, hire me to be your financial guy, lol
Reply 153
You see after when you come home from school today, do you just drop on your bed like me? I find when ever I miss a nights sleep, I drop the second i get home.......
Then I would wake up at around 12 or 1am and start doing work.... soon my body recovers it's natural sleeping pattern
Reply 154
MRLX69
You see after when you come home from school today, do you just drop on your bed like me? I find when ever I miss a nights sleep, I drop the second i get home.......
Then I would wake up at around 12 or 1am and start doing work.... soon my body recovers it's natural sleeping pattern

I'm exactly the same every week!
By Thursday I get a reasonable sleeping pattern back then I go out Friday and Saturday causing me to lie in on Sunday, then here I am and will drop down at 6ish when I get back from college tomorrow and like you said get up at some stupid hour. I suppose it's much easier for me to do work once everyones asleep though as there no distractions from family, phone etc.
Reply 155
lol, last year i did that.... my mum took me to a therapist, but this was every day, i sleep when I get home, then I would wake up at 2.00am to do work. It only lasted a month though... I can't resist the temptation of clubing and doing stupid things with m8s, lol
Reply 156
I thought I was the only one who did this type of stuff, lol
Reply 157
MRLX69
lol, last year i did that.... my mum took me to a therapist, but this was every day, i sleep when I get home, then I would wake up at 2.00am to do work. It only lasted a month though... I can't resist the temptation of clubing and doing stupid things with m8s, lol

I've never seen anyone about it and some of my mates do simialr things, you know it's crazy when you sign on msn at 5am to be added to a convo by a couple of your mates. :eek:

Ditto, with going out with friends... but it's all good, 'these are the best days of our lives', apperently. :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Reply 158
Really? missing sleep to get work done.... wow i love it!!! :rolleyes:
Uni will be the best days of my life.
Reply 159
MRLX69
Really? missing sleep to get work done.... wow i love it!!! :rolleyes:
Uni will be the best days of my life.

More work at uni :frown:
But I'm sure you're right, the saying is probably coz most people don't go to uni.

By the way, where you applied?

Latest

Trending

Trending