Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, it seems most of the regulars have done very well, so congratulations to you all!

Now in both the pre and post exam discussion, there was a lot of confusion about how the exams are actually marked; I think I took a more optimistic view than most people here, but I had to admit I was still only guessing really.

So I was wondering if people would mind posting their grades, and (as much as they can remember), which questions (and parts of questions) they did. We then might be able to work out exactly what does happen when you answer 3/4 of a question. It probably will be easier after grade boundaries and examiner's reports are out, but I expect a lot of you will have moved to new pastures by then, so if we get your assessments now that will be better...

If you don't want to post publicly then if you PM me I'll "anonymise" your details (although if you posted in the post-exam discussions saying what questions you did it might be possible for someone to work out who you are).

Of course, if you don't want to participate at all, that's fine too!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I posted in the exam discussions - will dig it out later, don't have time now, but I got S, S and remember doing 3 full + 2 almost full questions on III and 5.5 full questions (6, but with one rather large mistake) on II.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got my grades yet, but just a question for those of you who have: do we get to see our marks as well?

(Original post by ukgea)
    do we get to see our marks as well?
    No

ReputationRep:
    i got S,S too. i remember marking my paper generously (say, 15 marks for 3/4 of a question), and still not getting a total mark much into standard S territory. so one would assume them to be rather generous indeed.

that or the grade boundaries are low. however i've noticed many of the people on facebook (who found STEP II, like almost everyone, straightforwards), did only manage 1s, so i doubt that.

ReputationRep:
    I got 1,1, which shocked me massively given That I completed 4 questions on III and only 2 fully on Step II...Really not sure how that happened. Still, I'm going for Oxford so it doesn't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    I got S S!
    I'm so pleased...and there I was thinking I'd failed to get anywhere in academia.
    Thanks to the maths crew. Espcially Franklin for always having something wise to say (even if it was sometimes "Skip this question") and General, Nota, insparato and co. for teaching us all the potential of teenage maths geeks.

I think they did mark quite generously.

STEP III: I did four questions and two 'bits'. The first three I did were quite up to scratch - I think I got everything right in those (so call that 18 marks each). That was the tan question, the series question and the integration. I finished the differential equation question (8?) but a misread meant I lost out on one part. I'm guessing about 13-15 for that question.
    The two bits were only the first two or three parts, so I'm guessing 4-6 marks for those.

STEP II: Five complete questions. A bit of "Well, trust me on that." style working, but I think they were at least satisfactory. One 'bit' on a mechanics question which would be about 2 marks. I hate mechanics.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone who made it.

Now I have a more difficult task...filling out all of those stupid forms.

ReputationRep:
    do you have a form where you have to fill in your UMS marks?

for almost EVERY line, i put the UMS mark in the column where the date you took the exam is meant to be. you'd think i'd have learnt after i'd made the mistake the first, oh, 7 or so times, but nope...

ReputationRep:
    S, S as well.

STEP II - All eight pure questions but thinking back my answers to 4 & 5 were a little dodgy.
    STEP III - Three completely: 2, 7 & 8. Three partial: question 1 to the formula a-c+e/d-b or whatever, question 3 (or whatever the Fibonacci one was) first two parts, question 6 (I think, involved a series of complicated derivatives using sech or something) worked out the three derivatives.

ReputationRep:
    STEP II- 5 fully (though 2 were partially wrong), and a small bit of anouther
    STEP III-2 fully, half of one, and small parts of 3

ReputationRep:
    *pat Chewwy*

Did anyone get a reading list of sorts in the pile of crap?
    I could have sworn I saw one in there...

ReputationRep:
    I'm out of the country, is there any urgent paperwork or can it all wait a week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    I'm out of the country, is there any urgent paperwork or can it all wait a week?
    I seem to recall not sending anything back for a week or two last year, simply due to laziness - I hardly doubt they'll mind receiving the forms back a week later, and you have a perfectly valid excuse.

I could be wrong, and this year the university (or Trinity) could be demanding the utmost promptness, but I highly doubt it.

Well done everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats everyone, well earned set of grades. You can pick up your STEP marks from school or just get them when you get to college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabite)
    I got S S!
    I'm so pleased...and there I was thinking I'd failed to get anywhere in academia.
    Thanks to the maths crew. Espcially Franklin for always having something wise to say (even if it was sometimes "Skip this question") and General, Nota, insparato and co. for teaching us all the potential of teenage maths geeks.

I think they did mark quite generously.

STEP III: I did four questions and two 'bits'. The first three I did were quite up to scratch - I think I got everything right in those (so call that 18 marks each). That was the tan question, the series question and the integration. I finished the differential equation question (8?) but a misread meant I lost out on one part. I'm guessing about 13-15 for that question.
    The two bits were only the first two or three parts, so I'm guessing 4-6 marks for those.

STEP II: Five complete questions. A bit of "Well, trust me on that." style working, but I think they were at least satisfactory. One 'bit' on a mechanics question which would be about 2 marks. I hate mechanics.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone who made it.

Now I have a more difficult task...filling out all of those stupid forms.
    Well i think a congratulations in order for all of you, you've obviously done tremendously well. I wish i could say the same about myself. I'm glad i could be of some help however infinitely small that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insparato)
    Well i think a congratulations in order for all of you, you've obviously done tremendously well. I wish i could say the same about myself. I'm glad i could be of some help however infinitely small that is.
    infinitesimally*
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Speleo)
    Nah, they want copies of your GCSE certificates and A-level results slips and that's all. My letter says to send them by the 24th, I'm sure they won't mind a couple of days late though.

Well done, everyone. Really glad everyone's done so well.

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully I still have those relics...

Again um...did they send anyone a reading list? I thought I saw one in the pile of sheets, but when I look again, I can only find that A-level maths in a nutshell booklet.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rabite)
    Thankfully I still have those relics...

Again um...did they send anyone a reading list? I thought I saw one in the pile of sheets, but when I look again, I can only find that A-level maths in a nutshell booklet.
    There was a pile of sheets?

Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    It was like Harry Potter magic or something! As soon as I found out I'd been accepted, I got a call from my dad saying that an envelope had arrived.

They didn't say I needed a wand though...

The euphoria of getting in hasn't died away yet. ._.
    *hits self*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 12, 2007

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.