Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well right now I am a facing a dilemma. Should I drop my History paper in favour of something else? History is one of those subjects that doesn't come with a textbook. Instead, a series of notes are given by each individual lecturer. So when I made the choice to take History as one of my 3 A level papers, I had to attend History lessons at a local private school.

However, for some reason, the History teacher took a personal dislike to me. I have no idea why. I thought I gave her every bit of respect she deserved. Now, I am an adult with working experience so I am sure if my manager is happy with the level of respect I have been giving her, I don't see why the History teacher should have a problem.

But last week, during our lesson on Asian History, we touched on the topic of Christian missionary and she asked each of us if we were Christian. When my turn came, I told her: 'Kinda, I used to go to church but not anymore.' An innocent and truthful remark. I did attend sunday school as a child. So I felt her remark was unwarranted. She told me that might be why I am a backslider (read: loser) because I don't worship God properly! I was like WHAT? I mean look. I have no problems with Christians trying to convert me to their faith. Everyone's entiltled to do as they wish afterall. But if they fail to convert me and call me names, that's when I have to take offense.

That was History class, not Religious Knowledge. So she didn't have any business preaching and calling non-christians or rather ex-christians 'backsliders'. That's rather hurtful. Considering that I went to the trouble of having an interview with her about how she felt having a 30 year old guy in her class of 17 year olds. And considering that I am making an effort at my age to better myself. It isn't easy for me. And she had to call me a 'backslider' in front of the class. And what for? If I had been causing too much trouble like making funny noises or disturbing the other students, fine. Call me what you want. But if the reason was because I 'dropped out' of church, then it was way out of line.

She also seemed to go out of her way to hit out at me. When we were passing around her handouts, I got confused about the order of pages and said it out loud. "Now I am confused." She said 'I knew it!' What was that for again?

Going to her class is not good for my mental well-being. I am already seeing a psychiatrist for depression and anxiety. Being called a 'backslider' in a class of giggling teenagers is NOT good at all.

Now I come to the crux of the problem... At first I thought I had to continue putting up with the class for another 5 months as History seemed like the logical third choice after Eng. Lit and Sociology. But I just found out I can take the Psychology paper and it compliments my Sociology paper nicely. There's even a couple of useful textbooks out there. Unlike the mess of notes I have to deal with in History class.

So should I give up History and take up Psychology instead? Continuing with my History class would cost me another 500 bucks and 5 months of mental anguish. If the teacher continues with her personal vendetta against me that is. Whereas, with Psychology, I only need to fork out under 100 bucks for the textbooks and it is self study. Plus I am already seeing a psychiatrist so it is like having a tutor really... You just have to ask the right leading questions...

The problem is of course the contract I signed with the school. It says I have to give one month's notice and pay one month's fee as penalty if I wish to quit. Well, I ain't too sure about the fine print but I do know that I already attended one and a half month worth of lessons but paid the school 3 months already (2 months fees as deposit and the full fee for August). Anyone out there with legal knowledge? Tell me if that means I still have to fork out another month's fee to quit? I mean I already paid them 3 months right? So if I give my notice now (at the one and a half month point), that 3 months fee should cover it nicely, right?

Well, fellows come and give your opinions on my case.

Teck Loh

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.