Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am an American student working through the Advanced Placement system. I am trying to figure out how to use the UCAS tariff calculations, but I am getting very confused. I am going to be applying to Cambridge in the fall and I am trying to figure out how my tests compare to a UK students who received a typical offer at this kind of school. Does anybody have a brief explanation about how to use this system because the UCAS website does not do a good job at explaining this? More specifically, can anybody explain how I would calculate an typical UK student's offer into the numerical values of the tariff (I don't really know how many tests a student takes or how to classify tests in the UK education system). Also, which AP tests would I apply towards my part of the tariff? Would it be every test that I have taken or just the 3-4 tests that deal closely with my intended subject of study?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    don't use Ucas calculator because it is very confusing, go to google and type terif calculator, click on one of them , type the grades you 've got and it will automatically display the points you've got. don't worry too much

ReputationRep:
    Incidently, remember that offers for good Unis, such as Cambridge, don't use points but rather specify grades, sometimes with specific grades required in specific subjects. Nonetheless, adding up the UCAS Points will give a reasonable comparison. To make it easier, any Cambridge offer will almost certainly be AAA, which is 360 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Incidently, remember that offers for good Unis, such as Cambridge, don't use points but rather specify grades, sometimes with specific grades required in specific subjects. Nonetheless, adding up the UCAS Points will give a reasonable comparison. To make it easier, any Cambridge offer will almost certainly be AAA, which is 360 points.
    Thats what I was using the tariff system for...to get a reasonable comparison between my scores and those of an AAA student. When figuring my scores out from the AP system do I only use the scores of the tests most relevant to my subject (or the ones that the college specifies?) becuase if I tally up all my AP tests into tariff points I get a number around 950 or 1000.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford and Cambridge typically expect 8-10 AP exams total at the end of senior year. When you apply, they require 2 somewhat relevant ones with a score of 4 or 5 unless you have exceptional SAT Subject tests in your major area.

The rest of this is secondhand information, albeit from trustworthy individuals:

People who get accepted usually have more along the lines of 4 or 5 5s by the time of the interview. If you don't apply with 8-10 or more AP exams, you'll most likely get a conditional offer expecting 5s on some additional AP exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbruner17)
    Oxford and Cambridge typically expect 8-10 AP exams total at the end of senior year. When you apply, they require 2 somewhat relevant ones with a score of 4 or 5 unless you have exceptional SAT Subject tests in your major area.
    How much of a difference do you think they regard a score of 4 to a score of 5? If you have a mix of 4s and 5s is it a lot worse off than having just a complete set of 5s? Or is it not too much worse in their eyes?

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.