Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My brother is somewhat surprised by his grade in OCR A-level ICT (419/600 = C grade). He was particularly startled by his mark in his project (70/120 = d grade). This came despite his teacher having told him that he had achieved a raw mark of 108/120.

This obviously raised suspicions and led us to look at this year's markscheme http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publicati..._June_2007.pdf

Based on page 57 it seems that for unit 2516 they have wrongly converted raw marks into UMS (since UMS should obviously be the same every year for every paper by definition e.g. an A grade should always be 80% UMS).

Am I right in thinking that OCR have potentially completely ****ed up?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, 420 is a B, he missed it by 1 mark?
    Edit: corsework marks change due to moderation

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you mis-understood what I meant. Try looking at the markscheme on page 57 for unit 2516. It states that an 'A' requires a raw mark of 98 but only converts into a UMS of 57. Surely this is wrong...

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean now! Yeah very strange, it does indeed look like a ****-up.
    I'd say alot of people did very well on that test, hence the marks were substantially lowered for each raw mark.
    You can actually still get 120 UMS on it, but you would need full raw marks!

Also, 5% at AS and 6% at A2 getting an A? wow...

ReputationRep:
    The point is that the UMS should stay the same for each grade boundary regardless of how difficult or easy the paper was, it is the raw mark for each grade boundary which should adjust.

ReputationRep:
    How can u get 98 oyut of 90

ReputationRep:
    Its out of 120, look at the markscheme

ReputationRep:
    I see, very strange, probably a typo?

Would be a good idea to show this to an examinations officer who can liaise with OCR.

ReputationRep:
    It's the bonus mark for getting 55 (98 out of 90)

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine did OCR Sociology and her coursework went from an A (by the lecturer's standards) to a D. Very odd.

ReputationRep:
    My ICT Coursework (2513) was marked down from 89 to 64 out of 120. Do you think that this is purely down to the fact that my teacher didn't mark it properly, or do you think that it is wrong?

If it was the odd few marks then I would accept it, but it is 25!!!

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way to appeal against this mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thelfo)
    A friend of mine did OCR Sociology and her coursework went from an A (by the lecturer's standards) to a D. Very odd.
    One of my friends who did Sociology found that her coursework had gone from being a top A to a low U. She was absolutely gutted this morning when she found out.

ReputationRep:
    OCR IS SO ANNOYING My teacher in my AS coursework said ill get a C and a B in my coursework--then I end up gettin 2 U's meaning I get a U overall!! I soo wanted to do ICT A2 now I can't, If I knew my courswork may be heading for a U I could change it but it looked as if I was heading for a B!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1592)
    One of my friends who did Sociology found that her coursework had gone from being a top A to a low U. She was absolutely gutted this morning when she found out.
    I'm the friend Thelfo mentioned earlier on. I'm quite annoyed about it actually, considering my lecturer told me it was really good, had everything it needed and was within the word count etc.

I wouldn't have even minded [as much] if it was a C, but a D just seems harsh

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain. I'm with OCR for Chemistry, and they've really got my goat with me getting a D:mad: I seriously don't understand. I put in so much work, and although I found the exams challenging, I didn't find them so challenging to get a D:confused:

ReputationRep:
    OCR have ****ed up big style for me and my friends by not collecting our grades/modules together - ergo our unis think we havent sat our A2s so think we have missed our offers!! Aston have told me i have missed the ABB offer and I got AAA!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jozeesh)
    I'm the friend Thelfo mentioned earlier on. I'm quite annoyed about it actually, considering my lecturer told me it was really good, had everything it needed and was within the word count etc.

I wouldn't have even minded [as much] if it was a C, but a D just seems harsh
    :hugs: It's such a ***** isn't it? You put your faith in your teachers, and you end up failing:mad: It's even worse when you hear that this girl's sociology teacher is an examiner. That just shows how unfair and random exam boards can mark!:rolleyes:

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.