Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone do?

I got 30/90 :| :| :| = U. And I got 120/120 on my ENB6 paper... I still got a B overall, but only 7 marks off an A. So it's a remark, and possibly a resit. Even if I got an E on the editorial writing paper i'll get an A overall but i'm seriously shocked. I don't understand where I went wrong in my editorial writing paper, I thought i'd done okay :s

Anyone else shocked with their results?

ReputationRep:
    I got an E and my friend got a U, think everyone did really badly on it overall! I was 3 marks off a B and got As in the other modules so have put in for a remark.

It's last introduction to the study of language last year all over again !

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd done okay aswell it's really odd. The exact same scenario as last year- thought I screwed up lang and social contexts and got full marks, and this year ran out of time for the second question in language development (and didn't revise/attended about 3 classes) and got 113/120!

ReputationRep:
    I got a C (one mark off a B) but I got a D in unit 6 which i was not expecting at all!! I think I will be getting it remarked because I am shocked! Got a B overall though

ReputationRep:
    I got a U as well 19/30! WTF? I thought I had AT LEAST passed it!

I've got a B overall, but SO close to an A I nearly cried!

ReputationRep:
    I got 51/90 for ENB5! Which I was shocked about, I was expecting at least 65.

I ended up with 408/600 which put me 12 under a B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuv)
    I got a U as well 19/30! WTF? I thought I had AT LEAST passed it!

I've got a B overall, but SO close to an A I nearly cried!
    How close were you shuv? Is it worth a remark?

ReputationRep:
    Just a handful of marks but I'm not sure whether my ENB5 mark will go up after a re-mark.

I'm interedted to know how everyone else did - I'm either hopeless at Editorial Writing or the examiners are being harsh

ReputationRep:
    I got 58/90. Considering how me and my college class did pretty much nothing on ways to present the content for different genres I was happy. Looks like AQA should re-think about having this paper in there, or about the mark system as people seem to do a LOT worse overall compared to the other units. That can be the difference between a C and a B, or a B and an A. If I was someone who was a few marks off a higher grade I would be extremely annoyed. As it happens though I was slap bang in the middle of a B, which is all I wanted in English.

Edit: Got 101/120 in enb6 and I did about 1/4 as much work for that paper compared to Editorial Writing.

ReputationRep:
    This is for people who are shocked at a bad result on ENB5 when they’re used to doing well.

I feel the need to defend this exam, as I get the distinct feeling people who have scores A’s on other papers believe that the exam is at fault and not them. ENB5 looks at a slightly different side of English to the other papers, and shows a substantial shift in what the examiner is looking for. I’m sure this has caught some of you out, and that’s a good thing, because I wholly believe it’s the most important unit on the course.

I first sat the exam in January and got an E, the exact score escapes my memory. I asked for the paper back, and I could see exactly where the examiner was coming from and what I did wrong.

Doing very badly in it is generally always down to some sort of major error of judgement, such as my case of badly misjudging the audience and writing it in essay mode, with pretty much no attention given to presentation or a style that would draw readers to it (it was a library poster).

I know someone else who scored as lowly as me despite them getting the context and style bang on. The issue there was they went 500 words over the limit. It may seem a little harsh, but from the perspective of an editor, with a finite amount of space 500 words too many means trimming and reworking and more hassle than buffering out 200 words. Point is, he didn't do what he was asked, and so they slammed him.

I resat the exam, ignoring half of the material and focusing on one pack this summer. I decided to do a poster again to prove to myself with a change of tact and paying more attention to actual marking criteria I could get an A. Turns out I got 90/90 on the paper, and my answer wasn't all that different than the previous one that earned me an E.

The differences were all about how I approached the paper and what I made sure I included. You're probably all capable writers, but I guarantee if you got an E/U when you were expecting an A/B - you overlooked something. Something major, something that really counts in the context of editorial writing, and no matter how good the rest of it is; if you don’t pass certain check points on the paper, you can't attain higher than a certain score.

To sum up this already highly convoluted post, which is irrelevant to the vast majority of people who will read it; context is key, you probably weren’t paying enough attention to the stylistic conventions and discourse structure that the ‘genre’ dictates. So if you think you did quite well and it turns out you blew it completely, the chances are you did, and you’ll learn from the mistake and not make it again.

ReputationRep:
    I was shocked but in a good way to learn that I got 89/90. I was expecting about a C as I really didn't think it went well- but then I guess we all slate our own writing!

Sorry it wasn't better for you guys. If you're close to a boundary I'd say get a remark because, to be honest, it is a subjective paper and, as it's unlikely you'll go down, what have you got to lose?

Well done Jxelam! That's fantastic! :-)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, that hasn't made me feel any better and I still think the marking is subjective.

No wonder they're getting rid of it in the 2008 specs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuv)
    Sorry, that hasn't made me feel any better and I still think the marking is subjective.

No wonder they're getting rid of it in the 2008 specs!
    Well.... why not consider a remark? If you're really close to an A surely it's worth a go?

Having spoken to an examiner, this exam is a really hard one- apparently of all of the scripts individual examiners mark they only give about 5 As. Therefore I suppose it's one of those exams where it's easier to 'take marks off' or not award them for writing in a way the examiner cannot identify with or does not like.

I saw that they were getting rid of it too- I thought it's just out luck that we're the last year! Then again, I did really enjoy it. It's fun to do- I had some fab lessons writing creatively. It's a shame they're going to take that out. Whilst the coursework from AS was also similiar, this paper was a 'lighter' part of A2.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I wasn't having a go....

Yes, I agree that it is hard and I did enjoy it also. My teacher basically said practice, practice, practice and if you love writing you'll be fine otherwise you're screwed. It's a shame because I really did make an effort in it and loved writing!

I see you're going to Nottingham to study English? You'll love it up here! There are plenty of bars, resturants and clubs to chose from. The city centre is fantastic for shopping and you can practically walk from uni!

And no, not all of us walk around waving guns in the air and shooting each other :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got 84/90, totally didn't expect that like woo! Does anyonme have any idea what I would have got as a raw mark?

ReputationRep:
    82/90 -- was shocked and delighted because in mock editorial writing exams i've always hit more of a low c as, unfortunately, i tend to ignore the basic rules like captioning pictures, etc. but yes, i was quite pleased with enb5

ReputationRep:
    I'm still definitely up for a remark, and a return of my script. To get as LITTLE as 30/90 I must have done something more major than ignored context (which I'm almost 100% certain I didn't!) or the like. It's just very strange, all through my mock exams for ENB5 I was getting at least C's. (We did at least 4!) so I felt well prepared. When I came out the exam, didn't think I'd done amazingly well, but well enough for myself. I know what it feels like to do crap in an exam and expect a crap result, as it's happened to me before and I genuinely didn't feel the same this time.

Time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    I got 90/90, they must have liked my shark!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuv)
    Sorry, I wasn't having a go....

Yes, I agree that it is hard and I did enjoy it also. My teacher basically said practice, practice, practice and if you love writing you'll be fine otherwise you're screwed. It's a shame because I really did make an effort in it and loved writing!

I see you're going to Nottingham to study English? You'll love it up here! There are plenty of bars, resturants and clubs to chose from. The city centre is fantastic for shopping and you can practically walk from uni!

And no, not all of us walk around waving guns in the air and shooting each other :p:
    LOL! I guess I should hide my gun then.............. :p:

Thanks hunni! I didn't think you were having a go. That is a shame though. The marks do seen really bizzare. I hope it gets sorted though. Are you into uni? Where are you off to?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, thought I'd warn you about Nottingham aka Gun City blah blah blah (!)

Yep, I got ABB so I'm off to Cardiff to do.....ENGLISH! Yay!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.