Unconditional offer from my second choice? Help

Watch
TheMightyAugur
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Right, so Lancaster made me an unconditional offer for psychology (if I firm it, obviously), and I do really, really like Lancaster, but I like Leeds slightly more, so I'm stuck as to whether go for Leeds firm and another as my insurance (my original plan), or now just firm Lancaster and be safe in the knowledge I'm going an amazing university and it alleviates some of the pressure from my exams. I can just relax, and try my best rather than getting stressed out.

They both have different strong points for me but for whatever reason I've just gone on the side of liking Leeds more (I should make clear if I hadn't of liked Leeds I would definitely be firming Lancaster). But at the same time, I know that doesn't mean it's necessarily where I'm going to have the best time and get the best career at the end of it because my sister went to her first choice and hated it.

My personal tutor told me that it's a horrible situation to be in, and that someone last year wanted to go Durham but got a UC from somewhere else, stuck with her gut, firmed Durham, insured the other uni so it was now a conditional offer and didn't make the grades for either, which I'm worried about happening

I'm predicted A*A*A. Leeds' entry is AAA, Lancaster is AAB if that's important. That may make it seem like I should just go Leeds but I got AAAB at AS and I'm very conscious of the fact a B has a good chance of coming up somewhere in August and if it does, it's unlikely I'll be able to go to Leeds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AmyPilot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheMightyAugur)
Right, so Lancaster made me an unconditional offer for psychology (if I firm it, obviously), and I do really, really like Lancaster, but I like Leeds slightly more, so I'm stuck as to whether go for Leeds firm and another as my insurance (my original plan), or now just firm Lancaster and be safe in the knowledge I'm going an amazing university and it alleviates some of the pressure from my exams. I can just relax, and try my best rather than getting stressed out.

They both have different strong points for me but for whatever reason I've just gone on the side of liking Leeds more (I should make clear if I hadn't of liked Leeds I would definitely be firming Lancaster). But at the same time, I know that doesn't mean it's necessarily where I'm going to have the best time and get the best career at the end of it because my sister went to her first choice and hated it.

My personal tutor told me that it's a horrible situation to be in, and that someone last year wanted to go Durham but got a UC from somewhere else, stuck with her gut, firmed Durham, insured the other uni so it was now a conditional offer and didn't make the grades for either, which I'm worried about happening

I'm predicted A*A*A. Leeds' entry is AAA, Lancaster is AAB if that's important. That may make it seem like I should just go Leeds but I got AAAB at AS and I'm very conscious of the fact a B has a good chance of coming up somewhere in August and if it does, it's unlikely I'll be able to go to Leeds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I would stick with your original plans - if you prefer Leeds I would firm that and insure Lancaster.

I wouldn't worry too much about the B at AS. I got AAAB at AS and came out with A*AAA at A2.

It's a little unfair that unis do this - it's obviously more for their benefit than the applicants.

Go where your heart tells you you would be happiest!
TheMightyAugur
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I definitely won't be laid back. I'll still try my hardest, but it just puts me in a less stressful position where I can work hard but without the pressure of needing certain grades to go uni. I certainly wouldn't allow myself to become complacent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't have to decide yet. So stick with the original plan, and work hard to see if you can get the required grades. See how your mock exams go. Then by the time you do have to decide (which will be in May at the earliest) you will have a much better idea if you can achieve the grades or not and will then be in a better place to decide what to do.

Remember that A Level grades are useful in future, for things like job applications. So it's in your best interests to try to get the best grades possible anyway even if you don't need them for an offer.

Do a bit more research and maybe visit the unis again. Have a look at Unistats to see what grades people actually got onto the course with. Look at the modules, the accommodation policy, the way you'd travel to uni etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.9%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (16)
15.69%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (19)
18.63%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (11)
10.78%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (33)
32.35%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (18)
17.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise