The Student Room Group
Well you can do a lot with an extended diploma. They're equivalent to 3 A Levels (although universities do like A Levels better). What types of courses were you thinking of?
Agree there is a lot you can do. You could go into a Social Work degree, or Nursing, Occupational Health, Physiotherapy.
Reply 3
Original post by BobBobson
Well you can do a lot with an extended diploma. They're equivalent to 3 A Levels (although universities do like A Levels better). What types of courses were you thinking of?

Universities do not necessarily like A-Levels better. BTEC's are more specific to a profession, which is often helpful. I am doing BTEC level 3 health and social care diploma, alongside biology, so will have a mix, however nobody at my local college who has done the extended diploma has failed to get onto the course they want.

People are generally starting to accept that BTEC's, particularly at level 3, are not a dumbed down version of A-Levels/GCSE's anymore. They are more specific and require more application of knowledge, not just being able to reitirate facts onto an exam paper. NEITHER are easy, and doing both means I am in a position to say that.

This is in no way getting argumentative with you, it is just a subject I get rather tetchy about in general and want people to understand - sorry if you take any offence from this :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lauren_k1407
Ive recently started my health and social extended diploma level 3, i was wondering what courses i could do at University and what marks i would need aswell as the Gcse grades i would need as i didnt do so well. Also how long the uni courses would take and how long to train to get into each proffesion. Thank you:smile:

Hello,
there are many professions health and social care level 3 extended diploma can lead to, such as;
-adult nursing
-child nursing
-psychology and other courses in psychology
-sociology
-law
-forensic/criminology
-midwifery
Btec health and social care level 3 extended diploma is equivalent to 3 A levels

it is graded Distinction*, Distinction, Merit or Pass (you receive overall 3 grades)
D*=A*
D=A
M=C
P=E
For example, I completed Btec health and social care level 3 and got grades
D*D*D* ..... which is 420 UCAS points and equivalent to 3 A*

requirements depend on universities, most universities as for 5gcse grades A*-C, including English language and mathematics at grade C... but this may not include all course of psychology at different universities
such as midwifery and nursing courses usually ask for grade C or above in 5 gcse's including maths and English language. Psychology courses may ask for a grade B in gcse maths or statistics, but this again depends on the university.
and for Btec it depends on the university, most uni's ask for Btec grades at DDM-DMM-DDD for nursing or midwifery and for psychology they ask can from D*D*D-DDD or DDM depending on higher or lower ranked universities.

some universities accept Btec, some do not, but there is a lot it can lead to.
good luck with your course, hope this helps:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by haniafb
Hello,
there are many professions health and social care level 3 extended diploma can lead to, such as;
-adult nursing
-child nursing
-psychology and other courses in psychology
-sociology
-law
-forensic/criminology
-midwifery
Btec health and social care level 3 extended diploma is equivalent to 3 A levels

it is graded Distinction*, Distinction, Merit or Pass (you receive overall 3 grades)
D*=A*
D=A
M=C
P=E
For example, I completed Btec health and social care level 3 and got grades
D*D*D* ..... which is 420 UCAS points and equivalent to 3 A*

requirements depend on universities, most universities as for 5gcse grades A*-C, including English language and mathematics at grade C... but this may not include all course of psychology at different universities
such as midwifery and nursing courses usually ask for grade C or above in 5 gcse's including maths and English language. Psychology courses may ask for a grade B in gcse maths or statistics, but this again depends on the university.
and for Btec it depends on the university, most uni's ask for Btec grades at DDM-DMM-DDD for nursing or midwifery and for psychology they ask can from D*D*D-DDD or DDM depending on higher or lower ranked universities.

some universities accept Btec, some do not, but there is a lot it can lead to.
good luck with your course, hope this helps:smile:

Have you done applied sociological perspective assignment

Latest

Trending

Trending