Turn on thread page Beta

General Forces Chat (Mk. 2?) watch

ReputationRep:
    I actually loathe riding in jeans, and am very much a jods, joddy boots, half chaps kind of girl ... but that just looks stupid on a polo pony!

Although I'll admit, I do ride in my green Hunters in the winter...

Oh dear, dramatic thread creep.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    :ditto:

I'm a jods, jod boots and chaps person. I tried riding with Wzz's mountain horse ice riders and I just felt like it wasn't as easy to feel the horses movements.

a bit offtopic. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    hehe it's ok, i'm sure BH won't mind it was a pretty random thread anyway. Half chaps are the best thing ever invented...
    And Hunters. I had a lovely blue pair until my horse decided to bolt while I was opening a gate, i think that's why they always say don't ride in wellies (it got caught and ripped). Luckily i stayed on board!

ReputationRep:
    Mountain horse boots are lush - I had a pair of fleece lined ones for the winter. We should all go riding?!! I haven't ridden for about 7 years, miss it so much!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    We could organise to go riding if you like

I'm currently sore thighs after a dressage lesson on a riding school horse on Monday. ouch.

IAS, I have a similar story. Was riding my old horse and he bucked, I fell off over the side of the gate so he was in the arena, I was outside it. Iwas hanging upside down though and he bolted, almost dragging me back over the fence and across the arena. Luckily my long boots ripped in half under the pressure. I must have looked quite amusing though :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've only been dragged once... across the sandschool and it was pretty scary trying to get out the stirrup!! Horse I was riding was ex-int show jumper of my mates and it turned a 3'9 jump into a huge jump. He was a big jumper anyway, you couldn't check him up to a fence you just used to have to give him the reins and he had a massive kick back over the fence so you used to have to get all the way out the saddle and forward or be catapulted to the moon!!

Last time I rode was a beach ride at Woolacombe in Devon on a typical hacking centre pony. It just wanted to roll in the water. The tyke!

ReputationRep:
    OMG :eek: My worst was a youngster that bolted over a cattle grid, but thankfully I came off cleanly (the horse was fine - think he cleared it in one, although memory is hazy:rolleyes: ). Getting caught up in something is about as bad as it gets.

I vote we all go for a long weekend of dressage lessons - an intensive week at the Yorkshire Riding centre is one of my favourite fantasy holidays! But then I'm a bit of a geek ...
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    YRC is very good, I'd be up for that. I'll just have to skive off work.

http://www.yrc.co.uk/Dressage.html

Don't know how much a short mid week course would be though.

I *hate* cattle grids. Must have been scary. My last 'eeek' moment was when my youngster bolted on the roads with me. An A road at that :s:

ReputationRep:
    I love dressage. So satisfying! I nearly bought the most gorgeous 17.2 grey horse called Parise. He was amazing to showjump and work in the arena on the flat - such a floaty stride and as gorgeous jump, and he was beautiful and expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    I *hate* cattle grids. Must have been scary. My last 'eeek' moment was when my youngster bolted on the roads with me. An A road at that :s:
    Ditto. Cattle grids scare the poo out of me :eek: And roads. I only used to ride my first bullet proof pony on the lanes. Too many drivers have zilcho respect for horses though.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Will you both be joining station saddle clubs if you get the chance?

ReputationRep:
    If I have the time (and the chance). I miss riding so much. Just me, the horse and the country side. Mountain biking just doesn't do it quite as well for me.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, if I get in!

I'm thinking a week's Intensive Dressage at YRC might be a good reward-to-self if I make it into the RAF...

BH, what's your youngster like?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Sold now. 6 year old irish type. I gave up riding for 6 months but couldn't help myself so took a lesson on Monday. :p: I might look at getting another after the winter.

ReputationRep:
    Very nice
    I'll have to dig up some of my old piccies when i get home and scan them in. This thread should win an award for most topics covered.

Does anyone else ski!?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    What ever happend to that general RAF chat thread. :p:

Tried snowboarding on the odd occassion. Doesn't help that I hate the cold.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh that doesn't help - come ski California... People ski/board in shorts and T-shirts at my local resort NO DUFF. I also skied this Easter gone in France, got an amazing tan and spent all my time in on chair lifts instead of the gondolas so i could cool down.

Yeh what did happen to that thread?!

ReputationRep:
    I've done the skiing in t-shirts thing, but gave it up after I got cocky in France one too many times and gave myself some cracking ice burn/grazes...

And yeah, IAS, IOT skiing trip to your gaff in Cali. Definitely. It's got to happen.

BH: :p:

*ducks from hand of mod wielding power...*

ReputationRep:
    Yeh think it might well have to be.....

Air fare isn't too bad TBH, I can get a rtn for £300 on BA which can't be bad!

I don't ski in t-shirts, I value the skin on my elbows a little bit too much
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Anonystude)

BH: :p:

*ducks from hand of mod wielding power...*
    lol :p:

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.