Turn on thread page Beta

General Forces Chat (Mk. 2?) watch

ReputationRep:
    Too right. They don't make them in pink, and we might get all dirty. Or break a nail.

ReputationRep:
    Someone once said to me that girls could become pilots only when the sky became pink. How *insert expletive here* rude!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    because we girls could never be interested in aircraft, guns and ships

NEVER!

I'm far too interested in going shopping..... :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by InaSpin)
    NEVER!

I'm far too interested in going shopping..... :rolleyes:
    I hardly have time for shopping in between my beaty treatments.

ReputationRep:
    Hey up

I intend to take my push bike but not for the first few weeks.

Would someone send me link to Facebook's
    IOT 10 Group as Facebook's search engine is not working at the moment

cookie

ReputationRep:
    IOT 10 FACEBOOK GROUP CLICK HERE

ReputationRep:
    THank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi advice please...

My son, 17 and 2 months, has decided that he wishes to enter the RAF at 17.5 months. I think that it will take a lot longer than he thinks. :rolleyes:
    He has AS levels in Maths, Further maths, Chemistry and Physics and has entered his 2nd year at College having to resit his Physics and Further Maths and has been able to carry the other two subjects on A2 level. He does not wish to go onto University as he wants to see the world and get paid for it. He grandfather has said he is able to do this in the RAF.

Finally...my problem....he wants to be an officer in aircrew. He needs glasses ( short sighted), does no team sports unless you include knocking a ball around with his mates, trampolining and badminton, enjoys going out with his mates and has ducked 4 lessons since September 2007 because he believes he knows best.

Will the RAF sort him out? He does not do drugs and is medically fit. He is a clever lad that believes, like many his age, that he can get a good job for £16,000-35,000 without doing too much effort. I am trying to persuade him to enter the RAF and learn a trade as I do not think he has the leadership skills of an officer. My grandfather has offered to take him to the Armed forces office on Monday to gain more information.

What do people think?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, shortsightedness is going to rule him out for aircrew. Does he want to be an officer first, or does he really just want to fly? Most importantly of all, does HE want to join the RAF, or is it something that his grandfather is keen for him to do? Unless he is really keen, he won't get very far with an aplication to be an officer. He also needs to understand that the RAF is, first and foremost, a fighting force. It IS a good way to see the world, but he needs to understand there's a chance he might get killed doing it - or be asked to kill someone else.

I suspect that, whether or not he eventually gets in, making an application to join the RAF will provide ample demonstration that life does not owe him a living, and that he will have to work very hard to get where he wants to go. That in itself may be a useful lesson. The application process will force him to think very seriously about where his strengths and weaknesses lie; what his interests are; and what he wants out of life. In my own experieence, simply the process of applying has made me a better person - I'm fitter, I'm better informed, I'm more self-aware - and I reckon it's a valuable learning experience for just about everyone who goes through it.

The RAF won't take him on and "sort him out"; I guess you'll find instead that if the RAF lets him in, it is because he has learned to "sort himself out". Finally, the average length of time it takes to go from initial enquiry to starting training seems to be about a year, so four months is ... optimistic!

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but the truth of it is that the RAF can afford to be choosy - it's tough to get in, and for good reason. If he really is keen, he'll discover that it is worth working for. If he's not keen, he won't get past the AFCO.

Actually, on rereading your post, you may even find that he doesn't actually need much "sorting out". He's doing four A-levels, he participates in football, trampolining and basketball (that's more "team sports" than a lot of applicants have!) - he sounds more sorted than a lot of 17-year-olds!

Others on here are far better qualified than I to give advice, so apologies for the long post, and best of luck to your son in finding a career he loves!

ReputationRep:
    Right, bringing up the chat thread again because 1) I want a rant, and 2) it stops the forum getting cluttered.

Just posted in a thread on H&R. Does any one get cheesed off that when something to do with the armed forces is posted elsewhere in the forum, twenty odd people start jumping on the 'soldiers are murderers' bandwagon, any of us who post get blasted and everything just devolves into a debate where 9 times out of 10 people don't do their research.

If I had the time/money/expertise I would start a whole website/forum just for us for BH to moderate. Even those of us who've left are still happy to help and I now start to feel like I don't want to as some of the things said on the forum about the armed forces are so offensive, especially when they're posted inside our own subforum when the only place they're really warranted is in 'Debate and Discussion'.

Rant over

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have to agree, its not only this forum (ive read some quite annoying and un educated posts about the armed forces) but I also feel that anyone who has no interest in a career in the armed forces, or knows no-one associated with it, feels they have the right to dictate to anyone about how awful serving personnel are as people.

I'm referring mostly to comments I get from colleagues at uni, who now knowing I am applying to the RAF, seem to think I'm a child killer and out right evil. I really feel for everyone already serving, some people find it very easy to judge the forces without taking a deeper look at what they have to do day in day out, and the liberties that they give up in order to do it.

I'm not sure how our government can address this miss-understanding between civilians and serving individuals, but it really needs to be addressed some how.

Sorry if this was slightly off the point, but I'm all for a seperate forum, where people arn't judged all the time

ReputationRep:
    I've never ventured anywhere on this forum other than this particular sub-section, and every other forum I frequent tends to be centered around war-themed video games, airsoft, firearms and other similar sort of hobbies, so support for the forces amongst the types of people who also visit said forums tends to be high.

When I was in college going through the application process, admittedly I got a lot of "oh, so you're joining the army are you?" ignorance as I'm sure lots of people in the RN/RAF do, but all my friends and family were quite supportive, regardless of their opinions on 'the war in iraq' (to coin a phrase from back in 06).

I'd say this whole bashing war/soldiers/america mind-set is almost a fashion thing amongst student types, much like over-priced iPods and stupidly white (but not for long) trainers, if you don't hate the concept of the military actually doing it's primary job and constantly make uninformed jokes about the US and invasions, well then you're just not cool. All of those things being based upon lack of knowledge and research end of the day.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    They're a bunch of idiot students. What do you expect? You'll probably find that the ones who make such comments have zip life experience behind them and just like mouthing off on forums.

They are allowed an opinion, however if it's abuse then let me know and I can deal with it. I've responded to the thread in question.

There's a huge about of negativity around at the minute due to the war, and I remarked to Wzz the other day that it's not far off how veterans were treated in America after Vietnam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)

There's a huge about of negativity around at the minute due to the war, and I remarked to Wzz the other day that it's not far off how veterans were treated in America after Vietnam.
    You're right, It's not quite at that stage but it's heading in that direction, also I think you're spot on about the student viewpoint, it's an opinion which seems to prevail all around my uni, and probably around other uni's also, it's a real shame.

I'm hoping it will wear out after a while, just seems a lot of people have jumped on the anti-war bandwagon, without really thinking about it.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    See, I could cope with someone saying something to me and my husband (sad as it seems) but what really gets me is the story of how the veterans are treated when they come back from the sandpit, especially those who are injured.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ming-pool.html

At least the government is willing to do something about it, whether or not it will make a difference will have to be seen.

ReputationRep:
    Thats just an awful story, I just can't see how people can be so selfish, leaves me pretty much lost for words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carboncopy)
    You're right, It's not quite at that stage but it's heading in that direction, also I think you're spot on about the student viewpoint, it's an opinion which seems to prevail all around my uni, and probably around other uni's also, it's a real shame.

I'm hoping it will wear out after a while, just seems a lot of people have jumped on the anti-war bandwagon, without really thinking about it.
    It is very similar at my university. I have found that the people who pass judgement on my career choice have lived very sheltered lives with no real "life experience". They also seem to be at university to get drunk and waste 3 years with no goal in mind for when they graduate. When it comes to questioning their reasoning they swear or shout and dont make any coherent sense.

It is a shame but in my opinion university has become a joke and any Tom **** or Harry can go to a "modern" university, with poor A levels, and gain a degree. It does reduce the effectiveness of having a degree on your CV for some of the more traditional subjects and insitutions. However, I will say that the greater opportunity to go to university does benefit some people from lower income families. It also enables a miniority to grow up and attachive more than perhaps they would have done without the opportunity.

George

ReputationRep:
    It seems that what George faces is simmilar to that where I study (Sixth form) unless you are going to university you're deemed a failure.

If you're going to join the millitary, as I hope to, and a friend is currently applying to the regiment, when it comes to discussion in classes going around the room as regards future plans, my friend and I are both just skipped out of the discussion. Students in our sixth form are given 14 days to go and look at universities, but get an afternoon off to flying with the CCF? We basically had to appeal to go.

Nothing angers me more than those who've no appreciation and understanding of those who risk their lives for those very people who are usually the first to criticise.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by JWXJR)
    It seems that what George faces is simmilar to that where I study (Sixth form) unless you are going to university you're deemed a failure.
    I remember talking to a school careers person about 10 years ago and saying that I was going to join the military. I was told not to be so silly, and that it wasn't a proper career.

Not much has changed then!

ReputationRep:
    No it hasn't. My cadets have asked if we can get the careers team in, we pretty much have to sneak them in!

Apparently according to one of my teachers we both have "squadie mentalities" and get the usual "murderers" titles and so on.

I just hasten to point out to them that by their last year in uni, i'll hopefully be earning more than they will when they graduate, actually be doing something worthwhile and have a much greater appreciation of life in general than they will.

Anyway, best stop ranting, or i'll find it difficult to stop!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.