Turn on thread page Beta

General Forces Chat (Mk. 2?) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    I remember talking to a school careers person about 10 years ago and saying that I was going to join the military. I was told not to be so silly, and that it wasn't a proper career.

Not much has changed then!
    Nods - probably around the same time or only a couple of years after you, I was told by the school career adviser that didn't I think the military and I might be a little incompatable? Might I not prefer something like teaching, flower arranging or hairdressing? Wouldn't my parents prefer me to do something nicer? Because after all, the military is male orientated, and they go to nasty places. :rolleyes:

When I was insistant they basically told me they couldn't help me. Great advice! Good job I'm smart enough to get here by myself.

To be fair the army did come in for a talk once, but it seemed very much aimed at the people who wouldn't go on to further education.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    The armed forces were banned from our school. Crying shame, as I would have liked to have known more in my final years of school.

ReputationRep:
    Haha GR29KHS, looks like you've really started something here!

ReputationRep:
    Our school was quite supportive of armed forces careers.

The raf, army, and navy all gave formal presentations to us in assemblies, and it was always announced if a 6th former had made selection or had been selected for a commision. It all inspired me to aim for a forces career myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carboncopy)
    Haha GR29KHS, looks like you've really started something here!
    Makes me glad I'm not the only one! I just get so cheesed off. There was a guy in D&D a while ago who said he owes the military nothing - I feel that I owe my Grandfather everything (he spent most of WW2 in a japanese POW camp) and same to all those who served with him, and that's just for starters. A lot of the people outside this subforum just don't appreciate or realise what the military do for them, where would they be if the armed forces had stepped in during the firemen's strike???

Anyway, don't have to persuade everyone on here as we're mostly all agreed! Just having a winge

ReputationRep:
    I enquired about the military during my final years of school and was prompted in the direction of engineering instead. However, when I did some research and attempted to discuss the role of engineering officer within the RAF, with the careers adviser, I was informed that I had misunderstood the orginal discussion and given further information about scholarships such as the Arkwright scholarship and promptly sent on my way.

It seems apparent from the discussions on the board that this is a similar problem the military has to deal with across the country. Perhaps this is why our services men and women are met with such vicious attitudes within the public domain. Obviously these instances are rare but are becoming increasingly more common as public opinion towards our government seems misdirected towards our loyal service personnel.

George

ReputationRep:
    Wow, seems like Carboncopy and myself had a bit of a rare experience.

Everyone around me was happy (although with the usual hesitation that you'll get because no one wants to feel responsible if something does happen to you - but I perfectly understand that). My College was happy to give me time off to go to the AFCO for all my presentations, the news also spread around my tutors quite quickly and they became quite interested as to how long the process took, what I would do after College if selected, had I been selected yet? - Looking back at it, it must have be Heaven compared to what you guys went through.

I suppose it was probably due to one of my tutors that I applied anyway. She looked at where I was intending to go, turned to me and said "I don't think that you'll like doing that, you'll get bored easily and you won't find a challenge". So I saw her point of view, looked around a bit more and fell in love with an Armed Forces career returned about 2 weeks later telling her I was going to apply, to which she responded ... "Yep, that sounds like the job for you".

Best support ever! - I'm not trying to rub it in, I'm just saying that there are people out there that will fully support the idea of serving. But I guess I am probably also from a more 'traditional' background where it is still seen as a great honour to serve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    The armed forces were banned from our school. Crying shame, as I would have liked to have known more in my final years of school.
    They tried that in our school last year. We have 2 ex-Army/TA teachers (one who was HAC recce section) who "put down" we shall say, the liberal namby-pamby who suggested it

ReputationRep:
    Never been any military in my old school, and if you showed any interest you were promptly ignored and dropped from the 'UCAS Help' wagon during 6th Form as I discovered...

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever stayed in the Garrison Officer's Mess at Aldershot - it's the one near the hospital I think. I'd like to know what the accomodation is like - i.e. will I need to bring my own bedding if I want decent stuff - same for iron and ironing board.

Also, will be sleeping in 'Officer's Mess 2' - is that a random barrack block several miles from the main mess and that's what it sounds like. I'll take a bike if that's the case!

I tried this on the Goat and didn't get an answer so thought I'd try here.

thanks
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    No, but I can ask a friend who is based there? When are you going? I'll see if I can get in touch in time.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers BH, you're a star. Will PM you the details I've been given.

ReputationRep:
    Goat less likely to give you a response than arrse or pprune, although pprune is more likely to just scream "Jurno!" at you and then go off on a tangent.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get goat - it's like if you don't know most of the people there in person, and don't get the in jokes they don't want to give you the time of day. It could be a really useful resource if people just didn't mind helping 'outsiders'.

ReputationRep:
    I think it mainly comes from the fact that Wobbly set up the site as a place for unofficial banter and grousing so almost all of the jokes and comments need you to be a sooty or a rigger to really get. It's definately heavily biased for serving members, which is no bad thing, but as you say can be less than inclusive.
    There was also a period when a load of people went onto the site looking for recruitment advice (fair enough) but came in with an attitude that suggested they thought the goat was set up as a recruitment/advice site and should give them everything they wanted without them contributing anything. Seriously, I caught some of the fall out of that and it wasn't pretty.
    Which reminds me, I haven't posted anything on there for ages...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR29KHS)
    Has anyone ever stayed in the Garrison Officer's Mess at Aldershot - it's the one near the hospital I think. I'd like to know what the accomodation is like - i.e. will I need to bring my own bedding if I want decent stuff - same for iron and ironing board.

Also, will be sleeping in 'Officer's Mess 2' - is that a random barrack block several miles from the main mess and that's what it sounds like. I'll take a bike if that's the case!

I tried this on the Goat and didn't get an answer so thought I'd try here.

thanks
    How come you're off to Aldershot - is this business or pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    Business it's my resettlement course!

mountainmetman - I can understand the in banter thing, but if they want it like that they shouldn't include a subforum for 'Service Advice', any one would think you could go in there and ask a question! :eek:

Although I have gotten answers before from some nice people, I don't get them now. Must have p***ed someone off :p:

ReputationRep:
    Arrse is the way forward, but not if you're a crab, obviously. Don't know much about E-Goat, but I'd assume they're pretty similar. Every day there's a new post about something bone like 'I've got flat feet/asthma/manic depression/tattoos and piercings everywhere/a bad drug habit... Can I join the Army?' I think it just annoys the regulars that the questioners A. can't be arsed to use the search function and B. can't be arsed to speel propley...

I've asked advice there, and got some sensible answers, I've also had the piss taken quite a lot, and I've done the same to others. It's just part and parcel. Since this isn't ARRSE I'll leave it there, but...

'kin 'ell, it's a bit crab heavy in here isn't it? Where are all the squaddies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    'kin 'ell, it's a bit crab heavy in here isn't it? Where are all the squaddies?
    We tend to 'shoo' them away. They make the place look untidy.

There does seem to be a wide selection of Applicants for the RAF, Officers and Airman, but we don't seem to be as many for the Army and Navy. I guess it is probably because there are more dedicated forums for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PasserBy9)
    We tend to 'shoo' them away. They make the place look untidy.

If I promise to tidy up after myself, can I stay?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.