The Student Room Group

Asking a girl out

So there's this girl who goes to Univeristy close to me, we went to primary together and then she went off to a different secondary school and sixth form and we both live miles away from home for Univeristy

Firstly how do I approach asking this girl out, we don't see each other at all I only have her on Facebook but I would much rather prefer asking her out in person

Secondly if I do take her out on a date, WTF do I say to her. I have a tendency to talk too much about Univeristy and career after Univeristy, which is nice but it can get boring and I don't want to see me as a friend
(edited 7 years ago)
just email her and ask if she would like to meet up for coffee/a meal etc ...
Original post by Miser101
So there's this girl who goes to Univeristy close to me, we went to primary together and then she went off to a different secondary school and sixth form and we both live miles away from home for Univeristy

Firstly how do I approach asking this girl out, we don't see each other at all I only have her on Facebook but I would much rather prefer asking her out in person

Secondly if I do take her out on a date, WTF do I say to her. I have a tendency to talk too much about Univeristy and career after Univeristy, which is nice but it can get boring and I don't want to see me as a friend

It seems as if you don't know her very well (despite knowing her for years). I would try and build a relationship first, then going out would come naturally along with it. If you want an easy way to talk about something, take her to a to a film/play, after watching/during breaks(in theatre anyway) you can discuss the play/film as a way to build the foundation for some more personal topics.
Reply 3
Hi Miser101,

If you've known her for a while, yet you don't talk now, it would probability be a good start to strike up a conversation on FB first.

Maybe suggest to a get together one morning over coffee to talk about what's gone on in each other's life since you last saw each other? It's a low-key way to get to meet up and reminisce about the past.

From there, if you both have a good time and before you end the meeting, be frank about fancying her and ask her out! Or, if you think it could wait a bit longer, make sure you arrange another time to meet before the first meeting is over! Or it may just drag on...

I'm not sure your exact relationship with this girl, but asking someone out out of the blue is a bit shocking - and she may have her own love life that she's thinking about. (I don't mean to alarm you - just a thought)

As for what to say - well, ask her about what she's been up to, her hobbies - you'll find something to talk about once you get to know her better 😊

TBH - you know what to do best, and trying to follow someone else's advice might not work but I hope this all helps a bit anyway!

Az

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
As others have said, it appears that you do not know her that well. You would be in a better position to ask her on a date if you begin speaking to her (or speak to her more). You'll be able to tell whether you do have a genuine attraction to her and it will put you in a better position to talk about things other than University. What sort of content does she share or like on Facebook? Message her about that. You could always just message her asking her how she is, but she is likely to be more responsive if you message her a question like 'Hey, I saw you posted about *movie name*, how was it? I've been thinking about going to see it' than "Hey :smile: how are you?".
Once you speak to her more you will get to know her interests - what interests you share, what she likes but you hate (vice versa) - all great conversation topics.
You can always then invite her out to a shared interest such as a movie or a gig once you get to know her.
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it, on paper this girls brilliant but she just recently got Facebook as she started Univeristy so I can't really gauge her interests by looking at her posts etc tbh I'll chat to her and if we are interested in each other I think asking her out wouldn't feel like a big jump or something out of the blue, hopefully...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending