It's embarrassing to only speak English. Watch

funnyfunny1221
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Even my parents can speak 2 languages, they only speak to me in English because they both understand it. Everyone I know can speak 2 or more languages. My best friend can speak 6 languages.

It's embarrassing when people speak in other languages to each other because I can't join in. I am actually starting to have a hatred to people that can speak in another language. I know it's stupid because English isn't most people first language (like my parents).

Does anyone else here only speak English? Also, I'm 16 so is there a way I can learn another's language after I leave school?

Language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language
Boondock Saint
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Our colonialist nature tells us to let the rest of the world learn English instead.
YoFadda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fine though because most people in other countries learn English anyway so there's no point in us learning some other language.
jamesthehustler
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by funnyfunny1221)
Even my parents can speak 2 languages, they only speak to me in English because they both understand it. Everyone I know can speak 2 or more languages. My best friend can speak 6 languages.

It's embarrassing when people speak in other languages to each other because I can't join in. I am actually starting to have a hatred to people that can speak in another language. I know it's stupid because English isn't most people first language (like my parents).

Does anyone else here only speak English? Also, I'm 16 so is there a way I can learn another's language after I leave school?

Language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language
are we talking fluently as for me that English or most essential stuff as I can speak 8 languages not including English at that level
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are many courses that can teach you online so maybe give that a look into.

I am actually starting to have a hatred to people that can speak in another language.
This is just another way of saying "I am jealous that other people can speak more languages than me". Learn another language then.
lostintrnslation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
there will be language courses near you at night school or whatever. you could also teach yourself if you wanted to
DetectivePeralta
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In other countries they already learn English at school so there's no real point of us learning another language. It's nothingness o worry about.
funnyfunny1221
Rep:
?
(Original post by UWS)
There are many courses that can teach you online so maybe give that a look into.

This is just another way of saying "I am jealous that other people can speak more languages than me". Learn another language then.
Do you know what jealousy means? I do want to learn another language but I have no time. 😖 My parents didn't teach me their own language(s) so sometimes I feel isolated around my own relatives.
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you know what jealousy means? I do want to learn another language but I have no time. 😖 My parents didn't teach me their own language(s) so sometimes I feel isolated around my own relatives.

There are many ways to learn a new language — online, for example. There are so many useful courses that are completely free of charge. Have a go at them. You say you have no time but… you're here on TSR? It only needs about 10 minutes a day. Dedicate your TSR time to learning a language.

Moved to a better section.
Asiangirl_18
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Try the dualingo app. It really helped me when i was taking French GCSE and there are so many languages to choose from.
And dw i cant speak punjabi properly and im nearly 17 but im slowly starting to understand it by watching dramas and askimg my parents when theyr speaking what certain words mean. Its working for me kus im picking up on a lot of new words and how to say things. Give it a try.
funnyfunny1221
Rep:
?
(Original post by iEthan)
There are many ways to learn a new language — online, for example. There are so many useful courses that are completely free of charge. Have a go at them. You say you have no time but… you're here on TSR? It only needs about 10 minutes a day. Dedicate your TSR time to learning a language.

Moved to a better section.
I'm only on here once every 2 months...
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm only on here once every 2 months...
I'm very sure you can find the time. I manage it with two jobs, my full-time education (A-Levels) and my stuff here on TSR. Just find some time, make some time. If you are determined, you can make the time. It's so valuable to learn another language.
funnyfunny1221
Rep:
?
(Original post by iEthan)
I'm very sure you can find the time. I manage it with two jobs, my full-time education (A-Levels) and my stuff here on TSR. Just find some time, make some time. If you are determined, you can make the time. It's so valuable to learn another language.
Damn, maybe I procrastinate too much.
😄 Thanks for being encouraging.
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Damn, maybe I procrastinate too much.
😄
:giggle: that could be the case! What language(s) are you interested in?
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People who only speak English are Leave-voting immigrant hating racist xenophobic Brexiteers who have a portrait of Farage above their bed
fatima17k
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
chill, im sure alot of people only know one language too
like for examle im sure a lot of people in bangladesh only know bengali
its not a bad thing, as long as you have some sort of way to communicate with friends and family, who cares about how many languages you know??
Spoiler:
Show
btw bengalis, please do not get offended that i used your country as an example, i really was going to use algerians, but most algerians know french and arabic, so the first thing that came to my mind was bengalis, i apologise for any inconvenience
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's nothing wrong with only knowing English but like already said if you want to know another, you always have the time to learn it. I myself am doing German in college, starting self-studying French and will do Russian at university alongside German; because I want to speak more than 1 language that much. So if you really really want to do it there's no reason why you can't
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can only speak English. Probably because I'm English. Was born in England. Etc.

As such, I don't see why that's a bad thing when well over 90% of the people who live in the same country as me all speak the same language. You say "embarrassing", I say "practical".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (38)
24.52%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (53)
34.19%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
17.42%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (12)
7.74%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (25)
16.13%

Watched Threads