The Student Room Group

does he like me and do I like him, I'm so confused

Basically I've known this guy for over a year now and we talk almost everyday and we're very close. He always flirts with me and says stuff like: I saw you today you look really pretty but you didn't look at me much :frown:. He told me that he can't concentrate on his work when hes thinking about me. One time he randomly asked me what I'd do if his parents came to my house and told my parents that their son loves me. We're both different races (he's an arab and I'm asian). He asked me once whether or not my parents would accept it if I married someone who isn't my race for example an arab. I said that they wouldn't which is sort of true as in they wouldn't accept it at first but with some convincing they'd eventually accept it. And another time he asked if I would marry him and I just responded with: our parents wouldn't be happy. I said that because at that time I thought I didn't like him but now I'm confused about my feelings for him. After I said 'our parents wouldn't be happy' he just said 'I'm just joking go and marry an asian doctor'.

Recently we were talking about interracial marriages and I said that i don't understand why people have a problem with it and then he responded with 'I know I don't understand it either, some people like asians are a bit backwards'. Then he asked 'would you marry me, I don't know' which kind of shocked me and I'm still confused about my feelings and also I didn't know if he was serious or was just trying to make a point so I said 'what do you mean'. Then he mentioned this girl who he liked but didn't feel the same way as him and this girl said to him 'when you told me you were married I thought of you as a brother' (he used to be married, I knew him when he was married). Later that day he told me that he didn't like anyone yet.

I just asked him today what he meant when he asked me recently if I would marry him and he said 'I was trying to make a point about marriage' and when I asked him what the point was he didn't answer my question and he just said 'I can't marry you, I want to be clear and transparent'. Hes now saying he wants to go back to school days where there were no distractions and hes being a little passive aggressive and saying 'people are ready to tear you apart and take your feelings for sh*t' (he went to an all boys school and hes saying he wants to go back to those days as in no more girls so basically he wants to stop talking to me)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I know this is a long post but I tried to simplify it as much as I can as this is a very complicated situation
Original post by celina10
Basically I've known this guy for over a year now and we talk almost everyday and we're very close. He always flirts with me and says stuff like: I saw you today you look really pretty but you didn't look at me much :frown:. He told me that he can't concentrate on his work when hes thinking about me. One time he randomly asked me what I'd do if his parents came to my house and told my parents that their son loves me. We're both different races (he's an arab and I'm asian). He asked me once whether or not my parents would accept it if I married someone who isn't my race for example an arab. I said that they wouldn't which is sort of true as in they wouldn't accept it at first but with some convincing they'd eventually accept it. And another time he asked if I would marry him and I just responded with: our parents wouldn't be happy. I said that because at that time I thought I didn't like him but now I'm confused about my feelings for him. After I said 'our parents wouldn't be happy' he just said 'I'm just joking go and marry an asian doctor'.

Recently we were talking about interracial marriages and I said that i don't understand why people have a problem with it and then he responded with 'I know I don't understand it either, some people like asians are a bit backwards'. Then he asked 'would you marry me, I don't know' which kind of shocked me and I'm still confused about my feelings and also I didn't know if he was serious or was just trying to make a point so I said 'what do you mean'. Later that day he told me that he didn't like anyone yet.

I just asked him today what he meant when he asked me recently if I would marry him and he said 'I was trying to make a point about marriage' and when I asked him what the point was he didn't answer my question and he just said 'I can't marry you, I want to be clear and transparent'. Hes now saying he wants to go back to school days where there were no distractions and hes being a little passive aggressive and saying 'people are ready to tear you apart and take your feelings for sh*t' (he went to an all boys school and hes saying he wants to go back to those days as in no more girls so basically he wants to stop talking to me)

Yes, he likes you.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Yes, he likes you.

why do you think that?
why do you think that?

You don't constantly bring up marriage and love to someone you don't like; it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
I think he likes you but is angry at the situation itself because you guys can't be together
We can't tell you what your feelings are, or what someone we've never met feels. Figuring out what you want and feel takes a lot of introspection. It can also help to talk about it with people who know you well. To learn what he wants and feels, I'd suggest just sitting down and talking all of this through with him - basically telling him what you just told us about how you're confused by what he's been saying.

If you do wind up in a relationship, I'd suggest taking it a bit more slowly - marriage is probably not the best first step! How old are you guys, anyway?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
We can't tell you what your feelings are, or what someone we've never met feels. Figuring out what you want and feel takes a lot of introspection. It can also help to talk about it with people who know you well. To learn what he wants and feels, I'd suggest just sitting down and talking all of this through with him - basically telling him what you just told us about how you're confused by what he's been saying.

If you do wind up in a relationship, I'd suggest taking it a bit more slowly - marriage is probably not the best first step! How old are you guys, anyway?

Yeah youre right to be honest, I feel like I bother my friends alot lol which is why I asked here instead but I should ask them what they think. We're both muslim and we don't really date as in if we do find someone ourselves we'd just give each other our word and carry on getting to know each other for the purpose of marriage if that makes sense. But if we do end up together we probably wont get married until we both finish our degrees. I'm 21 and hes 20
Original post by xwhitenoise
I think he likes you but is angry at the situation itself because you guys can't be together

yeah I get that feeling too but then I'm also thinking he could have said those things because he wants to see if I would marry him for an ego boost but doesn't actually like me. I wish people we're more clear about their intentions.
You don't constantly bring up marriage and love to someone you don't like; it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

yeah I understand that but what if he doesn't actually have feelings for me and is just seeing if I would marry him for an ego boost
yeah I understand that but what if he doesn't actually have feelings for me and is just seeing if I would marry him for an ego boost

Why would anyone speak to girl for a year, for an ego boost? It just seems like too much effort. If you want an ego boost, you'd have a one night stand with a girl at Reading, not marriage discussion with a girl you've known for a year.
Why would anyone speak to girl for a year, for an ego boost? It just seems like too much effort. If you want an ego boost, you'd have a one night stand with a girl at Reading, not marriage discussion with a girl you've known for a year.

Yeah actually you're right, he puts in alot of effort to talk to me. He mostly starts the conversations
Original post by xwhitenoise

perfectly put. this is the reason why he's acting wierd, OP - trust us
he likes you for sure
Unless you're srs autismo, it's clear he likes you.
Was probably waiting for you to be like "Well it doesn't matter what our parents think" etc but it didn't go to plan
So now he's sour about it, not even either of your faults tbh if your parents are backwards racists there's little that can be done 🤔
Are you both the same religion?
Original post by Eternalflames
Are you both the same religion?

Yeah we're both muslims
Yeah we're both muslims

Then there should be no problems. I knew a Pakistani girl who married an Egyptian.
I honestly don't think it matters.

Recently we were talking about interracial marriages and I said that i don't understand why people have a problem with it and then he responded with 'I know I don't understand it either, some people like asians are a bit backwards'. Then he asked 'would you marry me, I don't know' which kind of shocked me and I'm still confused about my feelings and also I didn't know if he was serious or was just trying to make a point so I said 'what do you mean'. Later that day he told me that he didn't like anyone yet.

He sooooooooooooooooooooo likes you. Goddamit why doesn't this type of scenario happen to one of my friends, I love watching people with these type of situations its so hilarious.
Original post by Eternalflames
Then there should be no problems. I knew a Pakistani girl who married an Egyptian.
I honestly don't think it matters.

It doesn't matter to me either to be honest, if I love him then I'd be willing to argue with my parents but I'm just not sure about my feelings right now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending