The Student Room Group

IELTS as a pending qualification

I'm planing on taking IELTS in January 2017. One of the universities that I'm applying to is Oxford so I really rushed everything to the deadline not really reading more about the following problem (I was applying through ucas independently). I did not put in IELTS as a pending qualification in my application because I saw that there was a section that had to do with some sort of a code for TOEFL and IELTS so I didn't bother with that, besides that my referee wasn't really familiar with this sort of examination so she couldn't have provided predicted grades for IELTS. So would universities not mind that and would expect that I take that exam anyway because I'm an EU student or should I inform them that I will be taking IELTS, via email?
Reply 1
Original post by petsematary
I'm planing on taking IELTS in January 2017. One of the universities that I'm applying to is Oxford so I really rushed everything to the deadline not really reading more about the following problem (I was applying through ucas independently). I did not put in IELTS as a pending qualification in my application because I saw that there was a section that had to do with some sort of a code for TOEFL and IELTS so I didn't bother with that, besides that my referee wasn't really familiar with this sort of examination so she couldn't have provided predicted grades for IELTS. So would universities not mind that and would expect that I take that exam anyway because I'm an EU student or should I inform them that I will be taking IELTS, via email?

They're not going to assume that you're taking an exam that you didn't list. You need to inform UCAS, and then also inform the unis that you've applied to. Don't explain that you filled the application in because you were't bothered and were in a rush, though, as that shows you are lazy and don't really care about your application.
Reply 2
You don't need to mention it, it will be part of a conditional offer if they require it :smile: It's not really a pending qualification you would be expected to list.

Quick Reply