The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
PsychBrainiac
I just cant believe how quickly the time is going lately :rolleyes:

Donny Darko!

Sorry to be random but it was really bugging me where that line from your sig came from, and then suddenly I remembered. :biggrin:

*feels pleased*
Pegasus
Donny Darko!

Sorry to be random but it was really bugging me where that line from your sig came from, and then suddenly I remembered. :biggrin:

*feels pleased*

Your signature is doing nothing to ease my nerves :frown:
Reply 222
waiting2smile
Your signature is doing nothing to ease my nerves :frown:

sorry! :redface:
Reply 223
im nervous!!!! but the big thing is i dont wanna flop them!!!
im worried! well lets hope for the best
btw every1 gud luck!!!

Smurfettexx
zombie
This might've been covered but...

What's everyone planning to do after they get their results? Me and my friends already have it planned because one of them's got a free house so we're basically gonna celebrate by getting absolutely smashed/drown our sorrows!

I might go into town for a bit too seeing as everyone else will probably be about and I'd like to see a bunch of people who've been on holiday.

Theres about 10 of us going up to Worcester on results night to either celebrate/ comiserate, and then going back to a free house for the usual "after party" at dawn!

However, as I'll probably be the one that fails, I wouldn't know whether to go out and comiserate or stay home as I just wouldnt be able to have fun under the circumstances! What would u lot do under the circumstances? go out still or stay in if u did fail?

Oh and I've finally decided that if I get into my 1st, it will be an extatic day and even if I still manage to get into my insurance, it will be a good day worth celebrating! What about everyone else's view on getting into their insurance and not first? would it still be a good day or a very bad day?
Reply 225
The worst part about all this is I'm going to have to go through it all again next year and then its going to be worse because my grades will mean a lot more then!

It seems so cruel that so much hinges on three letters. :frown:
btigershark
Theres about 10 of us going up to Worcester on results night to either celebrate/ comiserate, and then going back to a free house for the usual "after party" at dawn!

However, as I'll probably be the one that fails, I wouldn't know whether to go out and comiserate or stay home as I just wouldnt be able to have fun under the circumstances! What would u lot do under the circumstances? go out still or stay in if u did fail?

Oh and I've finally decided that if I get into my 1st, it will be an extatic day and even if I still manage to get into my insurance, it will be a good day worth celebrating! What about everyone else's view on getting into their insurance and not first? would it still be a good day or a very bad day?

Well, the first thing I am going to do is call my teacher all the way in UK ..(I am not in UK just in case some of u r wondering...)
And then I am going to start throwing my books away and sorting all my papers out....
and then...relax!!!:smile:...
(hopefully, I won't end up in the hos with a nervous breakdown:wink:)
Reply 227
Rose in Bloom
Well, the first thing I am going to do is call my teacher all the way in UK ..(I am not in UK just in case some of u r wondering...)
And then I am going to start throwing my books away and sorting all my papers out....
and then...relax!!!:smile:...
(hopefully, I won't end up in the hos with a nervous breakdown:wink:)

You mean youve still got all ur revision notes lying around?
Reply 228
*dave*
You mean youve still got all ur revision notes lying around?

Personally I'm keeping all my notes as throwing them away is just tempting fate to give me a bad grade...
Reply 229
btigershark

Last year all my friends got what they wanted and got into uni and i didn't but i still met up for a drink. I was miserable as sin! But i tried :smile:. Had i got drunk it would have been better but i excused myself and went home early.
9 more days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

(sorry! :redface: )
Reply 231
Rose in Bloom
9 more days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

(sorry! :redface: )

:eek: :eek:
Does anyone know how the UMS system exaclty works? Say in an English exam, out of 50, if a B is 28, and an A is 33, would full UMS marks be for 43, i.e. equ. 2 grades above A? How does it work? I need to know
Reply 233
Full marks is full marks - out of the complete paper. If it's out of 90, and you get 90, only that's full marks, even though you only need 72 for an A
tomcoolinguk
Does anyone know how the UMS system exaclty works? Say in an English exam, out of 50, if a B is 28, and an A is 33, would full UMS marks be for 43, i.e. equ. 2 grades above A? How does it work? I need to know

The marks are scaled to fit the following criteria:

A - 80% of UMS
B - 70% of UMS
C - 60% of UMS
D - 50% of UMS
E - 40% of UMS

To gain the following UMS mark %'s however, you don't need those %'s on the actual exam papers.

Hence, your raw mark is converted into this UMS Mark.

The conversion is dependant on the relative difficulty of the examination paper compared to previous years, how other candidates did etc. and then the raw marks are converted to UMS marks.

Often, for an average paper, you could drop a couple of raw marks but still obtain full UMS; hwoever, this varies from subject to subject and so on..

Hope that helps. :smile:
symun
Full marks is full marks - out of the complete paper. If it's out of 90, and you get 90, only that's full marks, even though you only need 72 for an A

No... you can definitely get full UMS without full raw score. I know this to be true, because I know people who have had 300 ums, but been told they didn't have one of the highest raw scores.
Invisible
The marks are scaled to fit the following criteria:

A - 80% of UMS
B - 70% of UMS
C - 60% of UMS
D - 50% of UMS
E - 40% of UMS

To gain the following UMS mark %'s however, you don't need those %'s on the actual exam papers.

Hence, your raw mark is converted into this UMS Mark.

The conversion is dependant on the relative difficulty of the examination paper compared to previous years, how other candidates did etc. and then the raw marks are converted to UMS marks.

Often, for an average paper, you could drop a couple of raw marks but still obtain full UMS; hwoever, this varies from subject to subject and so on..

Hope that helps. :smile:

Yeah I know all this, what I want to know is how the spread from 80% UMS to 100% UMS. Is it arbitrarily determined, i.e. the examiners say well 47/50 is 100% UMS or is it just determined based on the size of the grade boundaries.
Reply 237
Argggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :frown:

I hope I meet my offer.
Reply 238
Adhsur
Argggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :frown:

I hope I meet my offer.

:smile: I'm sure you will sweetie. *Sends happy vibes*
Reply 239
For all those who did CIE A and AS levels.........results are online......however it is only accessible to centres..as a result all u eager people ..........ie those who cant wait(excluding me) can call your centre and find out

Latest

Trending

Trending