Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pre-Results Thread!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Strangely enough - I never really get nervous before results day or even on Results day actually! I try to keep a low profile and stay quiet - it is only this way my parents don't know its results day... until they turn the TV on.
    Don't you just hate it when your parents start to hype up the situation and put a whole load of pressure on you? My sister got straight As last year, and they think I'm going to get the same. :rolleyes: Do you want to tell them or shall I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    Strangely enough - I never really get nervous before results day or even on Results day actually! I try to keep a low profile and stay quiet - it is only this way my parents don't know its results day... until they turn the TV on.
    Don't you just hate it when your parents start to hype up the situation and put a whole load of pressure on you? My sister got straight As last year, and they think I'm going to get the same. :rolleyes: Do you want to tell them or shall I?
    My parents have never ever pressurised me about school work, i just get on with it and they leave me alone. Tbh i don't think my mum would care if i failed everything, she'd much rather i got a job i reckon! I have to 'hype up' the situation to my parents, not the other way round!

ReputationRep:
    My parents are the opposite. I freak out and they just look at me funny, then return to their newspaper. "OH MY GODDD ONE WEEK" "??? oh don't worry i'm sure they'll let you in" "HUH WHA I'M SCARED" "You can always do a HND or modern apprenticeship if it comes to it" "JESUS CHRIST I'M NOT AT THAT STAGE YET"

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, i know what thats like... but ma mum is the one tellin me not to worry, wateva happens... she's like "the best thing to do, is make the best wit wat ya get" lol... but inside she's worryin more than me i know't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Counterpoint)
    My life this week

12th august, bike-ride i need to buy a bike
    13th august, cousin's bday happy birthday to ur cousin
    14th august, our independence day Pakistan Zindabad!!
    15th august, our neighbours' independence day Bharat Ki Jai Ho!!
    16th august, ****... oh come on cheer up
    17th august, ****... :mad: time to cheer up now
    18th august, all-nighter, awake, worryin... :confused: no need have a gud night sleep
    19th august, make-or-break or :eek: feel relieved

ReputationRep:
    don't think my parents realise how close it is either actually- the way they are sometimes, i could have applied to all my unis, gone to my interviews and they would have been blissfully unaware of where i was going/what i was doing...they just don't really question me that much anymore.

ReputationRep:
    ooo that's a good idea:

12th: Sit doing nothing
    13th: Sit doing nothing
    14th: Desperately try and find a pressie for a friends bday and then go to her party at some club
    15th: Sit doing nothing
    16th: Sit doing nothing
    17th: Clean the house, then sit doing nothing
    18th: Prepare anything that needs doing for my annual results party
    19th: Oh you know the rest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    don't think my parents realise how close it is either actually- the way they are sometimes, i could have applied to all my unis, gone to my interviews and they would have been blissfully unaware of where i was going/what i was doing...they just don't really question me that much anymore.
    I could apply for 6 stupid courses next year like golf management or something and my parents wouldn't know! I should soo do that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    ooo that's a good idea:

12th: Sit doing nothing
    13th: Sit doing nothing
    14th: Desperately try and find a pressie for a friends bday and then go to her party at some club
    15th: Sit doing nothing
    16th: Sit doing nothing
    17th: Clean the house, then sit doing nothing
    18th: Prepare anything that needs doing for my annual results party
    19th: Oh you know the rest!
    hehe mines pretty similar- although i may be taking a trip to a pub in wales, where a friend of mine lives, at some point next week, probably tuesday or wednesday...actually wednesday would be a good idea...nice way to calm the nerves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    My parents didn't know what unis I had applied to - or whether I had got in or not. Until I told them...in April.

Its the same now actually - I have not bought anything for uni yet.There is nothing like last minute panicking. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My parents didn't know what unis I had applied to - or whether I had got in or not. Until I told them...in April.

Its the same now actually - I have not bought anything for uni yet.There is nothing like last minute panicking. :rolleyes:
    My parents get bored when i talk about where i want to apply and stuff so i just shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    My parents get bored when i talk about where i want to apply and stuff so i just shut up.
    haha... Put it this way, atleast they are slightly aware of your intentions. My mum thought I was going to be doing Nursing until I put her straight a few months back! :rolleyes: (I'm doing Law)

ReputationRep:
    haha... Put it this way, atleast they are slightly aware of your intentions. My mum thought I was going to be doing Nursing until I put her straight a few months back! :rolleyes: (I'm doing Law)
    What did she say when she found out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    What did she say when she found out?
    She went quiet for a while and tried to back track - saying that "You would make a good nurse" and that she was sure that I told her that I was doing Nursing..etc. :rolleyes: I told her if she back tracked any faster she would moonwalk right through the wall.

ReputationRep:
    She went quiet for a while and tried to back track - saying that "You would make a good nurse" and that she was sure that I told her that I was doing Nursing..etc. :rolleyes: I told her if she back tracked any faster she would moonwalk right through the wall.
    loll... but seriously, law is just as good a degree as nursing, so really your mum should have been quite happy with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    loll... but seriously, law is just as good a degree as nursing, so really your mum should have been quite happy with that.
    Yeah, she was. But she thinks that Medicine is the superior subject. *grrr.*

ReputationRep:
    mine took a little convincing that my degreee was highly respected, they just worried cos it wasn't a straight-into- a-career degree. they do support my decision, and like yours siany, they get bored when i start to talk about anything vaguely related to my academic life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Heh, my mom is exactly the same. I guess it could be slightly better than having parents wanting us to go to a specific uni/ do a specific course that you dont want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Heh, my mom is exactly the same. I guess it could be slightly better than having parents wanting us to go to a specific uni/ do a specific course that you dont want to do.
    Yeah definitely. My dad was like "I'm glad you like geography so much because it's fascinating and i used to like it too."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    mine took a little convincing that my degreee was highly respected, they just worried cos it wasn't a straight-into- a-career degree. they do support my decision, and like yours siany, they get bored when i start to talk about anything vaguely related to my academic life.
    What are you going to study?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.