The Student Room Group

M1 edexcel

Are there any good resources that can help me understand m1 edexcel especially kinematics?
I've used examsolutions but I find it quite hard solving questions in the txtbook especially the last 3/4 questions in each exercise,

Any help would be much appreciated
Reply 1
www.physicsandmathstutor.com is a good website for maths help
Original post by dididid
www.physicsandmathstutor.com is a good website for maths help

thanks..does he make any videos?
Reply 3
Original post by EA7_

no he just links you to exam solutions for videos but he does have a lot of past papers revision sheets and notes
Reply 4
Original post by EA7_

using physics and maths tutor, if you are doing edexcel you can answer the questions on the Heinmann text book then go on solutionbank and check you are right, then use the solutions on the ones you didn't know or got wrong to maybe help you to understand. Or even if u dnt have heinmann text book, the solutionbank also includes the questions.
So choose a chapter find your topic answer questions then the rest i've explained above.
And also it helps because it doesn't really explain the answer to you it just shows you working out and then the answer. so you can try and understand the working out , or you may notice a slip. And if you don't always draw diagrams.
you may not find this helpful, but its helpful to me, so i'll share it hoping its useful to you aswell
Original post by AdeptDz
using physics and maths tutor, if you are doing edexcel you can answer the questions on the Heinmann text book then go on solutionbank and check you are right, then use the solutions on the ones you didn't know or got wrong to maybe help you to understand. Or even if u dnt have heinmann text book, the solutionbank also includes the questions.
So choose a chapter find your topic answer questions then the rest i've explained above.
And also it helps because it doesn't really explain the answer to you it just shows you working out and then the answer. so you can try and understand the working out , or you may notice a slip. And if you don't always draw diagrams.
you may not find this helpful, but its helpful to me, so i'll share it hoping its useful to you aswell

thanks man! sounds really helpful. are you doing f. maths?
Reply 6
Original post by EA7_
thanks man! sounds really helpful. are you doing f. maths?

np, and yeh i am.. Doing FP1 M1 and M2, how about you?
Original post by AdeptDz
np, and yeh i am.. Doing FP1 M1 and M2, how about you?

Same.. what have you done so far and are you self studying?
Reply 8
Original post by EA7_
Same.. what have you done so far and are you self studying?

On FP1, we've done proofs, series, linear interpolation and inteval bisection, starting Matrices after half term so we can go on to proofs on matrice,
I've taken it upon me to learn matrices and some other stuff this half term so i can be ahead and start doing past papers soon.
On M1, we've done quite a bit, Suvat, projectiles, speed-time graphs, resolving forces, resolving forces at an angle, forces on a slope. Connected particles, lift problems, Haven't started self studying for this, but I will once school starts.
And we should be starting M2 pretty soon well like in a month, then from janaury i think we would've finished all further maths modules, but i want to try and finish in December.

How about you?
Original post by AdeptDz
On FP1, we've done proofs, series, linear interpolation and inteval bisection, starting Matrices after half term so we can go on to proofs on matrice,
I've taken it upon me to learn matrices and some other stuff this half term so i can be ahead and start doing past papers soon.
On M1, we've done quite a bit, Suvat, projectiles, speed-time graphs, resolving forces, resolving forces at an angle, forces on a slope. Connected particles, lift problems, Haven't started self studying for this, but I will once school starts.
And we should be starting M2 pretty soon well like in a month, then from janaury i think we would've finished all further maths modules, but i want to try and finish in December.

How about you?

I am self studying and have only done fp1 up to sequence.. you are really ahead. Don't you find M1 hard? Especially the last 2/3 questions in the exercises in the txtbook
Original post by EA7_
I am self studying and have only done fp1 up to sequence.. you are really ahead. Don't you find M1 hard? Especially the last 2/3 questions in the exercises in the txtbook

In the last week of summer, I stupidly went through all of fp1 in one week, i understood everything but then wen it came to school, i basically forgot msot things because i rushed it and done like 1 question for each topic, so remember to answer a lot of questions and don't rush just make sure you understand everything and do like a lot of questions, practice makes perfect.
Oh, but we skipped complex numbers and co-ordinate systems.
And M1 not really hard, jst need to draw a good diagram and remember all forces and then know a way to know if its cos or sin, then remember where the angles will be etc.
And i find them interesting because its like more thinking, like with the speed-distance and projectiles, just practice and u will find them easy. My favourite part of m1 is probably projectiles, least favourite is when things go up or down a slope.
And also if you've done connected particles, just think of yourself as the particle and all the forces tht will be acting on you, like you need to know to include thrust in tow bar questions etc. just stuff like that, and once u do it enough times u just remmeber all the possible forces, and how thrust is equal and all that.
Original post by AdeptDz
In the last week of summer, I stupidly went through all of fp1 in one week, i understood everything but then wen it came to school, i basically forgot msot things because i rushed it and done like 1 question for each topic, so remember to answer a lot of questions and don't rush just make sure you understand everything and do like a lot of questions, practice makes perfect.
Oh, but we skipped complex numbers and co-ordinate systems.
And M1 not really hard, jst need to draw a good diagram and remember all forces and then know a way to know if its cos or sin, then remember where the angles will be etc.
And i find them interesting because its like more thinking, like with the speed-distance and projectiles, just practice and u will find them easy. My favourite part of m1 is probably projectiles, least favourite is when things go up or down a slope.
And also if you've done connected particles, just think of yourself as the particle and all the forces tht will be acting on you, like you need to know to include thrust in tow bar questions etc. just stuff like that, and once u do it enough times u just remmeber all the possible forces, and how thrust is equal and all that.

Fp1 is quite okay.. after hearing what you are up to I feel like I need to speed up before it's too late haha. Thanks for the help though
Original post by EA7_
Fp1 is quite okay.. after hearing what you are up to I feel like I need to speed up before it's too late haha. Thanks for the help though

No problem, good luck. What other subjects are you doing?
Original post by AdeptDz
No problem, good luck. What other subjects are you doing?

maths,fm, phy and chem.. I suppose that's what you do too
Original post by EA7_
maths,fm, phy and chem.. I suppose that's what you do too

yh except swap chemistry for economics, i think if i chose again, I wouldve choose computing, i don't really like chemistry.
how u finding physics?
Original post by AdeptDz
yh except swap chemistry for economics, i think if i chose again, I wouldve choose computing, i don't really like chemistry.
how u finding physics?

Physics is okay at the moment and I hope it stays like that haha.. have you got a login for physicsandmathstutor ?
Original post by EA7_
Physics is okay at the moment and I hope it stays like that haha.. have you got a login for physicsandmathstutor ?

Same
And no, apparently his website is corrupted.
Original post by AdeptDz
Same
And no, apparently his website is corrupted.

Oh ok
does that mean we'd have to pay for it now?
Original post by EA7_
Oh ok
does that mean we'd have to pay for it now?

Not sure, maybe we just have to wait till he gets it fixed, or if not then maybe we have to pay

Quick Reply

Latest