Can someone help me please with this contract management question. Watch

MSD90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Task- Critically evaluate the legal implications of modifying standard forms of contract to suit contractual parties need in the construction industry.

So I have identified some of the legal implications below (which I found out from reading recent case laws):

1) The employer (client) can lose their right to recover liquidated damages
2) The contract may be left open to common law interpretation which may not reflect the intended terms of the drafter
3) There can be a provision which negates the general rule that negotiated clauses take precedence over standard terms (Hierarchy of contract documents)
4) The court will not interfere with the call of an on demand bond unless there has been an obvious fraud or it is clear that the underlying contract prevented the call
5) Courts will only imply terms by fact when it is obvious both parties meant for a clause to be included but unintentionally failed to accommodate it, or when a term is required to give business efficiency
6) Courts may interpret ambiguous clauses by using the reasonableness test, and some clauses may not even comply with statutory requirements, and so may be interpreted as unenforceable

I am struggling with how to actually go about critically evaluating these legal implications above. I would be very grateful if someone could give me some pointers.

e
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads