The Student Room Group

What did you get for GCSE maths compared to what you got for a level maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MajorFader
What grade did you get for GCSE maths and a level maths?
Curious:u:

GCSE - A

A-level - A*
Bants
Original post by Casdijsvmdugjoir
GCSE - B first try, tried to resit to get an A but got a C instead.
A level - A ( 3 ums off an A*) DAMN YOU C4 GRADE BOUNDARIES!!.

C4 Grade Boundaries are always ridiculously low. I don't see what your concern is, if anything the C3 Boundaries are mean.

Resit.
Original post by Maths is Life
C4 Grade Boundaries are always ridiculously low. I don't see what your concern is, if anything the C3 Boundaries are mean.

Resit.

This year was high for C4.
Original post by Goimpress
Wow congrats, could you tell us how you did it? How you revised , how many past papers you did etc

AS: From the start i did all questions and papers from this textbook: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Core-Mathematics-Edexcel-GCE-Maths/dp/0582842379, which took me about 2 months to do since I usually study straight after school. After this I did the solomon papers first from A - L. Then afterwards, I did the official Edexcel papers.

A2: Here I revised more than AS of course but I slightly changed my methods due to circumstances such as my A2 maths book stolen off me after I got mugged. Because of this, I used different types of papers such as elmwood papers, OCR papers, solomon papers, edexcel international and official edexcel papers. If your maths teacher is crap or you're already ahead of the class. Print papers from the school and substitute your lessons for the library. I have below 30% attendance in maths but I have achieved the highest grade in the school, which was a *****y state school.

Final note - Don't ever panic in exams, I can't stress this enough. You may know all the content inside out but if you're worrying too much then you are bound to **** up in the questions. Every exams I had, I ate breakfast, did a s.h.i.t and breath in and out during exams.
This year was high for C4.

WJEC has some weird questions.

C3 was 75/75 2016

C4 2015 was 60/75!!! 80% A=A* and more

C4 2016 was 65/75. It's just so funny
AS: From the start i did all questions and papers from this textbook: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Core-Mathematics-Edexcel-GCE-Maths/dp/0582842379, which took me about 2 months to do since I usually study straight after school. After this I did the solomon papers first from A - L. Then afterwards, I did the official Edexcel papers.

A2: Here I revised more than AS of course but I slightly changed my methods due to circumstances such as my A2 maths book stolen off me after I got mugged. Because of this, I used different types of papers such as elmwood papers, OCR papers, solomon papers, edexcel international and official edexcel papers. If your maths teacher is crap or you're already ahead of the class. Print papers from the school and substitute your lessons for the library. I have below 30% attendance in maths but I have achieved the highest grade in the school, which was a *****y state school.

Final note - Don't ever panic in exams, I can't stress this enough. You may know all the content inside out but if you're worrying too much then you are bound to **** up in the questions. Every exams I had, I ate breakfast, did a s.h.i.t and breath in and out during exams.

Same about the exam day routine.

Diarhea in a exam is really bad hence I performed badly in C3.

Could you tell me more about how you got mugged?
I know this is nosey but I'm serious.
Reply 26

GCSE - A
AS Level - E
A2 Level - Repeating all my AS exams to bring my grade up and hopefully getting an B overall at A Level with lots of hard work.
Reply 27

In my AS exams I ended up running out of time for most of them and therefore rushing the end questions which usually have the highest marks but when doing the PPQs I done them in around 1 hour compared to the time given which is 1 hour and a half. I got my papers back from last year and end up I was getting full marks in all question up until halfway through the paper. Do you know any tips for time mang during maths exams?
Original post by lmg1
In my AS exams I ended up running out of time for most of them and therefore rushing the end questions which usually have the highest marks but when doing the PPQs I done them in around 1 hour compared to the time given which is 1 hour and a half. I got my papers back from last year and end up I was getting full marks in all question up until halfway through the paper. Do you know any tips for time mang during maths exams?

Pace.
As in FIFA player pace, speed.

Just be quick and make no mistakes...
More practice around exam time and throughout the year so you can pace exams.

Dem invidilators be like "Daim dat kid fast as light"

U be like - "wot m8 c=3x10^8m/s"
GCSE: A
A-Level Maths: A*
A-Level FM: B
Same about the exam day routine.

Diarhea in a exam is really bad hence I performed badly in C3.

Could you tell me more about how you got mugged?
I know this is nosey but I'm serious.

Diarhea wasn't my concern, constipation was but I determine to do my best so I wouldn't leave my house unless I did a huge crap.

I had a 2 hr and 30 mins detention for not attending the school mass (school was a religious state school). Thus, I left the school at around 6.30pm and since this was at late October/early November, it gets dark at around 4. Anyway, it was nothing new, 6 huge black men came up to me, took my bag and my kebab, and left. RIP food, pukka pad and textbook :frown:
WJEC has some weird questions.

C3 was 75/75 2016

C4 2015 was 60/75!!! 80% A=A* and more

C4 2016 was 65/75. It's just so funny

Tbh I blame myself for C4 since it was my last exam and just thought fvck it.
Original post by lmg1

You were probably panicking during the AS exams because I had around 50 mins of free time for each exam plus, I remember taking nap. So, I think you need to just calm yourself before and during exams. If you see a low mark question and can't answer, either; a) take a long deep breath then try to attempt it or b) move to the next question or page if that short mark question is a follow up question to a high mark question.

Also, if you're allowed to be in the exam hall during school term. Practice past papers in time conditions there because there is this technique I found from the internet where if you revise in the same room you're going to take the exam, then you're more likely to remember it, which actually works. But this is entirely optional.
IGCSE - A* (About 88%)
AS - A (C1=95%, C2=95%, S1=86%)
A2 - A* (Prediction)

My exam board for a level maths is Edexcel, which seems to be pretty good cause we don't do coursework *whoop*
(edited 7 years ago)
Nice advice!
I bought the endorsed textbooks and started revising yesterday. I'm on chapter 3/10 on c1 which isn't hard at all TBH.
And s1 isn't that hard it's just a bit confusing and boring. I basically learn the topics then make notes on it, then do questions on it.

So when did you get mugged? What happened? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Diarhea wasn't my concern, constipation was but I determine to do my best so I wouldn't leave my house unless I did a huge crap.

I had a 2 hr and 30 mins detention for not attending the school mass (school was a religious state school). Thus, I left the school at around 6.30pm and since this was at late October/early November, it gets dark at around 4. Anyway, it was nothing new, 6 huge black men came up to me, took my bag and my kebab, and left. RIP food, pukka pad and textbook :frown:

All you can do now is laugh.
I hope one of them got food poisoning from that delicious kebab...

You need to walk in a public area.

That detention sentence is ridiculous, your parents shouldn't done something about this because... RELIGION???

Don't forget you lost a legendary stationary set that day.

Were you assaulted 'bad'?
IGCSE: B
Still doing A level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Huzaefah
IGCSE - A* (About 88%)
AS - A (C1=95%, C2=95%, S1=86%)
A2 - A* (Prediction)

My exam board for a level maths is Edexcel, which seems to be pretty good cause we don't do coursework *whoop*

Be quiet about these percentages

UMS!!!
Christ sake... Casuals

GCSE: A*

AS (from my report cuz I haven't sat my end of year exam yet): A

A2: Hopefully A*/A
Reply 39
GCSE: A
A level: A

I think like 50% of people get A or above, it's one of the easier A levels to get an A in without a doubt.

Quick Reply

Latest