The Student Room Group

What did you get for GCSE maths compared to what you got for a level maths?

Scroll to see replies

Maths GCSE: A
Maths AS: A
Maths A Level Predicted: A*
Original post by Gogregg
I'm applying for medicine and I didn't want to do 4 subjects and jeopardise my grades. I would have loved to, but, it just didn't make sense...
I hate being in a standard maths set, though :lol:
Yet I've also taken on an EPQ and General studies :colonhash:

You're MAD.
FM has the highest A* percentage not to mention the less difficult A* aggregation of modules.

EPQ will only matter if you achieve an A*. - Also it's half.

... But you're not MadAsMaths @TeeEm
Original post by Maths is Life
You're MAD.
FM has the highest A* percentage not to mention the less difficult A* aggregation of modules.

EPQ will only matter if you achieve an A*. - Also it's half.

... But you're not MadAsMaths @TeeEm

Maybe so :dontknow:

That's very true. Not to mention I already have 94 UMS in D2. I was definitely capable of doing FMaths as well. I guess part of it was just that I started doing 5 subjects at AS, but dropped one at Christmas. I didn't want to be in the same position with A2. Especially since it made no difference at all to my offers, it could actually detriment it (i.e. I get an A* in Maths but a C in FM, my unis will see that as a B in 1 A-Level).
EPQ was something that I personally wanted to do as a chance to do the research in a topic I'm interested in. I don't care too much about the grade, with FMaths, it would still be necessary to do very well, which maybe I would have been able to have done without much extra effort? I don't know. I guess we won't find out :tongue: I would hazard a guess at yes.
I still miss FMaths, but I feel I made the right choice...
Scottish qualifications but y'know basically the same thing

Nat5(GCSE) Upper B
Higher(A-level) I'm currently on a predicted fail... Lol.
GCSE : A*
AS: B
A2 prediction: B

I f**ed up
Original post by MajorFader
What are your other subjects and predictions? What are you applying for at uni?

i was doing Maths, Economics, Geography, History at AS and got BBBC
Dropped geo and my ucas predictions are AAB in economics history maths in that order.
Applying for accounting and finance but ideally want to get onto an accountancy apprenticeship.
Original post by Tyson_Fury
i was doing Maths, Economics, Geography, History at AS and got BBBC
Dropped geo and my ucas predictions are AAB in economics history maths in that order.
Applying for accounting and finance but ideally want to get onto an accountancy apprenticeship.

What did you get in those subjects at gcse?
I was about to do a level geography with a C in GCSE lol.
GCSE - 2 As
AS - Dropped it after two weeks because I was getting around 10-20% in tests.
GCSE : A (2 marks off A* lol)

AS : D (oops)

A2 prediction : B

I'm retaking all of AS maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE:
Maths A*
Further maths A*

AS:
Maths A
FM B

A2 predicted:
Maths: A*
FM A
How hard is a levels compare to the old GCSE's Maths and the new GCSE's Maths? I'm currently in a grade 4 of the new GCSE's, my prediction is a 5 that means is a good pass. I need to get to a 6+ to get to A level maths.
What did you get in those subjects at gcse?
I was about to do a level geography with a C in GCSE lol.

I got A* in Maths, Geography and History at GCSE. My B's in Geography and economics were 2-3marks off an A, which is why my prediction wouldve been 2 As. Ngl you wouldve struggled doing geogrpahy with a C. What subjects are u doing now
Original post by Tyson_Fury
I got A* in Maths, Geography and History at GCSE. My B's in Geography and economics were 2-3marks off an A, which is why my prediction wouldve been 2 As. Ngl you wouldve struggled doing geogrpahy with a C. What subjects are u doing now

Yeah that's exactly why I stayed away from geography. I am doing maths economics and politics...
I see you did the new AS level exams for history and economics.
Yeah that's exactly why I stayed away from geography. I am doing maths economics and politics...
I see you did the new AS level exams for history and economics.

Yeah i was in the unlucky year. The source questions for 1 history paper messed me up, otherwise i was on course for a strong B. Economic wasnt too bad, just they mark it differently to the old mark schemes now
GCSE: A (scraped it)
AS: A (96% or something) - highest in class.
A Level prediction: A*

I started AS not knowing anything about surds, fractions, long division, long multiplication, written addition/subtraction etc. (Didn't even know some of my times tables :P)

However in the last week of summer before staring the AS, I filled these skill gaps which I was too lazy to fill at GCSE.

It shows that when the will to do well actually exists, it can be done.

Good luck all.
Original post by PedanticStudent
GCSE: A (scraped it)
AS: A (96% or something) - highest in class.
A Level prediction: A*

I started AS not knowing anything about surds, fractions, long division, long multiplication, written addition/subtraction etc. (Didn't even know some of my times tables :P)

However in the last week of summer before staring the AS, I filled these skill gaps which I was too lazy to fill at GCSE.

It shows that when the will to do well actually exists, it can be done.

Good luck all.

What other subjects were you doing with them? And what did you get in them?
What other subjects were you doing with them? And what did you get in them?

For GCSEs I did English Language(B), English Literature(C, just about), Maths(A, just about), RE(A), ICT(A, just about)

For BTEC Level 2s (wish I took more GCSEs instead btw): Music Technology(DistDist), Applied Science(MM), Business Studies (Dist*Dist*)

Also did the gcse level Welsh bacc, which I passed.

For AS levels I took Maths, Business (the new, harder spec), ICT
Also took the advanced Welsh bacc.

AS Levels were all high A grades (90%+)
I did put a crazy number of hours into each of the qualifications though.

Predicted A* for everything by the school this year. (Maths, I will probably do it -- Business, maybe but not holding my breath -- ICT, probably not since the examiners are so strict -- Welsh bacc - i really don't know. Depends if the moderators agree with my marks.)

So my own predictions are A*A*AA
Reply 117
What grade did you get for GCSE maths and a level maths?
Curious:u:

A* GCSE to a B A-level... I really did not like maths and I barely put any work in even though I was capable...
Original post by PedanticStudent
For GCSEs I did English Language(B), English Literature(C, just about), Maths(A, just about), RE(A), ICT(A, just about)

For BTEC Level 2s (wish I took more GCSEs instead btw): Music Technology(DistDist), Applied Science(MM), Business Studies (Dist*Dist*)

Also did the gcse level Welsh bacc, which I passed.

For AS levels I took Maths, Business (the new, harder spec), ICT
Also took the advanced Welsh bacc.

AS Levels were all high A grades (90%+)
I did put a crazy number of hours into each of the qualifications though.

Predicted A* for everything by the school this year. (Maths, I will probably do it -- Business, maybe but not holding my breath -- ICT, probably not since the examiners are so strict -- Welsh bacc - i really don't know. Depends if the moderators agree with my marks.)

So my own predictions are A*A*AA

Inspiration right there!! I just about got an in gcse maths and want an A* at a level. I don't think I even remember if I had any A*s at all in my GCSEs.

What are you applying for at uni?
Original post by Moura
A* GCSE to a B A-level... I really did not like maths and I barely put any work in even though I was capable...

What else were you studying? Why did you pick maths if you disliked it? 😂

Quick Reply

Latest