Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    My name is Steve and I am currently
    undertaking research into the effect of
    illegal (not for payment, thereby infringing copyright) downloading of MP3's on
    the music industry.
    Below is a link to my survey that I would be very grateful if
    you could complete. (The survey is totally anonymous and untraceable.)

If you have strong opinions on these issues I am particularly keen to hear from you.
    (You may have to enable cookies to access this)

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=13921416234

Thanks

Steve Nesbitt
    MSc Information Management
    Sheffield University

ReputationRep:
    Ah, what the hell.... i'll go for it. Yes.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've done it but I don't download much

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sure, I just hope you are not an undercover agent who's going to report me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally against excessive illegal downloading. If you want to download Britney Spears, then I wouldn't feel too heart-broken for her, but buying an album from a record store (even if it's online) is a feeling that can't be replaced. Plus, if you're a true music lover, you'd realise that a lot of music just isn't available in mp3 format. So for rarities, you still have to buy the albums, no matter what.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I do whatever's most convenient.
    I always used to download albums - not because I'm a cheapskate, but because I know what I want on the spur of the moment, and I don't want to go out and find the album in a store. Downloading for the sake of convenience.
    However, since iTunes music store's been out, I've spent literally £hundreds online buying music. I can get stuff from there just as quickly as I can from the ftp dumps, and it comes with all the nice artwork and integrates perfectly with itunes/ipod. I have to use hymn so that I can play the tunes on my soundserver, but that's only a small hassle.

However, there is still quite alot of stuff I want which isn't on itunes. for this reason I still have to use less legal methods

ReputationRep:
    i download quite a bit of the net , well i used to b4 i deleted kazaa coz of the spyware and adware . it seems much more convenient than to go to a shop , browse around for the album ( living in UAE doesnt help much since im into heavy metal and progressive metal and finding those albums here are a *****)

but yeah as someone said , the feeling after buying an album is irreplaceable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steviesnes)

Steve Nesbitt
    MSc Information Management
    Sheffield University
    For the record, and everyone's piece of mind, Mr Nesbitt is on the books at the University of Sheffield - I have consulted the address book on Sheffield's Webmail service.

This appears genuine, and so I would encourage anyone who can offer any assistance to this student to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I download music that is so obscure I have no chance of getting it in the shops. Even places like Amazon don't stock CDs that I'm trying to get hold of. If I could find my kind of music on the high street I would buy it happily. Also I do occasionally try before I buy on the recommendations of friends, as the artists that have been recommended are not ones I have access to. In the year and a half I have been downloading mp3s, I have bought more CDs than in the 5 years previous to that. Since last summer I have become a collector of sorts, buying every CD, record or piece of memerobilia I can get my hands on for a couple of artists, spending a great deal of money in the process. This all started because I happened to download a couple of tracks of said artists. Now that I download, the music companies are getting more money out of me than they used to.
    However, if I was interested in acquiring music sufficiently accesible to me, e.g. a song that was currently in the charts, I would buy it rather than download it.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.