Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Looks like something Tron spat out.

ReputationRep:
    how do we know what floors/ rooms we gonna be allocated to????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejf)
    physics, you?
    Medicine. Which part of UK are you from? Any clue what JT is actually like, i cant seem to find much info on it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it ocmmon for people to bath at uni? Or does everyone tend to take a shower? Anyone know if Astor has bathtubs?

ReputationRep:
    hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelrainbow32)
    hey im at arthur tatersall house in a share room i think .
    Me too!!
    We'll be able to get up ten mins before lectures and not have to spend as much money on transport. It'll be sweet living so close to UCL. DO you reckon we'll be in range of the wifi?
    I'm glad I got a shared room. I wouldn't have been able to afford a single, and hopefully sharing will mean I get an instant friend.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the closest UCL accommodation is within reach of their wireless network.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownFluency)
    Apparently the closest UCL accommodation is within reach of their wireless network.
    Surely mine's the closest?

Score!

Do we have to pay for tinternet?

ReputationRep:
    Depends I think - If you get access to the wi-fi i think you could get away with it, if you use the datapoint in the wall (which I assume has internet? yes?), then you'll need that voucher to use the net.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownFluency)
    Depends I think - If you get access to the wi-fi i think you could get away with it, if you use the datapoint in the wall (which I assume has internet? yes?), then you'll need that voucher to use the net.
    Yeah, I guess.
    I imagine "computer data point" means "internet socket".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fishfinger Sandwich)
    Yeah, I guess.
    I imagine "computer data point" means "internet socket".
    It's either an internet socket with access to the network, or just a socket that's connected to the servers at UCL where all of our work is stored. I hope that it includes the internet, and to be honest it should, but keep an open mind that it could just be a direct link to the universities data so you don't have to travel there in order to obtain some work your saved earlier that morning.
    Either way, I think you need to pay / use the voucher in order to activate the socket. Does anyone know how much it costs for this 'voucher'? It isn't a 'pay as you use' voucher is it? I hope it's just a small monthly fee for 24/7 internet

ReputationRep:
    No. It's a payment of something like £70 or 75 for the year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused..how do we get the internet then...do we have to use a dial up connection, don't they just have wifi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolly-88)
    I'm confused..how do we get the internet then...do we have to use a dial up connection, don't they just have wifi?
    No no it's probably all done throug hthe data point, I was just pointing out it was a possibility that the data point itself didnt have the internet, and that there was no internet from our rooms. It's unlikely as the internet is as important as anything else these days. It'll probably be really fast too, dial-up would be overly expensive in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's not dial-up you fools of Tooks!

ReputationRep:
    It's very fast broadband, you have sockets in your room which you can connect an ethernet wire to

ReputationRep:
    Right, I went and had a gander around Astor today, if anyone wants to know.
    The girl at the desk (just graduated, working there for the summer) let me in, and used what i think is a magnetic key fob to activate the lift (only needed for the ground floor lift entrance).
    She told me to go look at the 2nd floor, cause floor 1 and 7 were having maintenance work or something like that (so maybe floor 7 will be better this year??).
    Basically, each floor is split in half - boys and girls. 35 rooms to each floor. 2 kitchens, one for each half. 2 bathrooms, same. Each bathroom, 3 showers...i think 3 toilets. showers have the push buttons like you find at swimming pools. They looked okay, I guess...
    I see what people mean about the yellow walls, but who cares it's just something you walk past haha.

The kitchens are really small... I can't imagine more than 3 people in there at once, max o.0 it would be kinda ridiculous. It explains why everyone has their own fridges, there would not be room for storage of 16 people's food in there. The cupboards had numbers and keyholes on them, so i guess everyone gets a cupboard..they didn't look that big or anything but i guess it should be okay to store pots and pans etc in.
    I couldn't walk inside the kitchen because there were guests cooking food in both. Just outside each kitchen, is a table which seats about 4... 5 if you want to push it and bring an extra chair. Hopefully not everyone will be eating at the same time anyway, I eat at random hours

I didn't get to go in any rooms, so I'm not sure what they're like inside.

The girl said for parking on the moving in day, it's just a case of trying to find a place and watching out for parking wardens because they'll be out and about.
    As for allocating rooms, you arrive and they will just give you a key...so you don't get to pick apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Salain...did you come all the way from the midlands to have a look at Astor??? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Haha not just for that, no! was having a day out somewhere with my mum anyway as I had no plans for today, we hadn't decided where to..! then my accommodation stuff came yesterday morning, so I decided it might be an idea to go down for the day and have a look around the area (and shop). only cost me (well, my mum :P) £9.90 return, and 1.5 hours on the train so it's not that much of an effort!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Salain, did you happen to get a glimpse of what the locks were like on the doors for students?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.