Do uni's prefer your GCSEs over your a levels?

Watch
aesking
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Say you got:
1 A
1 B
4 Cs
at GCSE

but did really good in a level, like an ABB or AAB - which one would uni's prioritise more?
alu4days
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aesking)
Say you got:
1 A
1 B
4 Cs
at GCSE

but did really good in a level, like an ABB or AAB - which one would uni's prioritise more?
A levels is more prioritised
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Obviously your a levels are more important. Most unis have very low GCSE requirements.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
All Unis require A levels and certain grades.
Most unis only have the requirement of Maths and English. A smaller proportion have a GCSE policy, normally top unis or certain courses.
Guess which Unis think are most important?
aesking
Rep:
?
(Original post by x__justmyluck)
Obviously your a levels are more important. Most unis have very low GCSE requirements.
Yes but some uni courses have GCSE specific subjects.
rustyldner
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe a specific grade will be required in subjects such as Maths or English at GCSE for some courses. But unis always prioritise A Level.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP, stop being thick, if unis prioritised GCSEs over A levels, no one would need A levels to enter uni.
aesking
Rep:
?
(Original post by rustyldner)
Maybe a specific grade will be required in subjects such as Maths or English at GCSE for some courses. But unis always prioritise A Level.
So, are you saying if you didn't get the required (GCSE) grade for that certain course, but got really good A-levels, then the uni will prioritise your a-levels more?
aesking
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maker)
OP, stop being thick, if unis prioritised GCSEs over A levels, no one would need A levels to enter uni.
Not necessarily, if that's your logic then why do some courses still ask for certain GCSE grades then? I'm not saying they only look at your GCSE and not A-levels; hence the word 'prioritise'.
rustyldner
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So, are you saying if you didn't get the required (GCSE) grade for that certain course, but got really good A-levels, then the uni will prioritise your a-levels more?
Sometimes in courses such as Nursing people are not allowed to take the course as they did not get a pass in Maths despite having met the A level requirements so they would have to retake the Maths GCSE.
BigMan Ting
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you are seriously asking a question like this then you really shouldn't be going to university in the first place OP.
Stop being stupid and think, one unlocks doors to another and so on (GCSEs -> A Levels/BTECS -> Degree course at uni) they only require GCSE's to show that you meet the minimum entry requirements for that particular course.
BlossomSerena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Say you got:
1 A
1 B
4 Cs
at GCSE

Cambridge is proud about the fact that more and more students from disadvantaged backgrounds (in other words got poor GCSE grades), are entering into their university. They also dont set GCSE's as an entry requirement to any of their courses except 2 of them, these are medecine and veterinary science.
Oxford also focuses more on your A levels than your GCSEs. When it comes to the university application process, there is no yes or no anwser. Straight A* students have been rejected from the top universities in this country, while students who have obtained not so good grades at AS have been accepted to top universities.
To be honest, I think it is a matter of luck, to a certain degree of course.
I wish you luck.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You do wonder if you got a D in GCSE maths and the course needed a minimum of C but you also got a C in A level maths, would you still need to retake GCSE maths to get at least a C?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BlossomSerena)
students from disadvantaged backgrounds (in other words got poor GCSE grades),
That's not what it means. It's to do with parental income and sometimes the school you have been to.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most unis don't really care about your GCSEs as long as you didn't fail them.
mrsweg59
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
You do wonder if you got a D in GCSE maths and the course needed a minimum of C but you also got a C in A level maths, would you still need to retake GCSE maths to get at least a C?
Id be surprised if any sixth form college would let someone with a D in maths take a lvl maths.
aesking
Rep:
?
(Original post by BigMan Ting)
If you are seriously asking a question like this then you really shouldn't be going to university in the first place OP.
Stop being stupid and think, one unlocks doors to another and so on (GCSEs -> A Levels/BTECS -> Degree course at uni) they only require GCSE's to show that you meet the minimum entry requirements for that particular course.
Well done for stating the obvious and yet I'm the one being called thick. My point was, in some circumstances: if you don't meet the entry requirements e.g a certain GCSE grade, despite having met the 'A-level requirements' you can't take that course, as rustyldner said. You would have to resit the GCSE to be able to take that course. So in that way, aren't they prioritising GCSE grades over A-levels? (which is what I was asking before) I know that GCSEs are an entry requirement, but the same can be said for A-level grades too. That's all I was saying.

(Original post by rustyldner)
Sometimes in courses such as Nursing people are not allowed to take the course as they did not get a pass in Maths despite having met the A level requirements so they would have to retake the Maths GCSE.
Thanks.
aesking
Rep:
?
(Original post by mrsweg59)
Id be surprised if any sixth form college would let someone with a D in maths take a lvl maths.
LOL. exactly.
aesking
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlossomSerena)
Cambridge is proud about the fact that more and more students from disadvantaged backgrounds (in other words got poor GCSE grades), are entering into their university. They also dont set GCSE's as an entry requirement to any of their courses except 2 of them, these are medecine and veterinary science.
Oxford also focuses more on your A levels than your GCSEs. When it comes to the university application process, there is no yes or no anwser. Straight A* students have been rejected from the top universities in this country, while students who have obtained not so good grades at AS have been accepted to top universities.
To be honest, I think it is a matter of luck, to a certain degree of course.
I wish you luck.
Thank you
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mrsweg59)
Some colleges allow you to take any A levels you like without having done the same subjects at GCSE. I took A level law without a GCSE in law.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads