Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe this is possible and do you know anyone that has managed to do a similar plan?

The 'Excel in Everything' plan is the ultimate lifestyle regime... in which you do your best in everything.

I mean: the highest academic standards in tests and homework in school;the best social life you can possibly live; high levels of fitness and achievement in sport and the list goes on, but you understand the idea. Yes?

I may take up this task but what are your opinions on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    Do you believe this is possible and do you know anyone that has managed to do a similar plan?

The 'Excel in Everything' plan is the ultimate lifestyle regime... in which you do your best in everything.

I mean: the highest academic standards in tests and homework in school;the best social life you can possibly live; high levels of fitness and achievement in sport and the list goes on, but you understand the idea. Yes?

Sounds quite imposssible.

ReputationRep:

Yes! Me and it is possible- but didn't use a lifestyle regime guide book- just comes naturally!!

ReputationRep:

I know someone who has all that and i hate her

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I excel in everything, but I'd say I was good at everything. I'm ok academically, have a full social life and go out clubbing and do other things a lot (make the most of London!), I'm pretty sporty etc. I think it's about finding a balance, and not letting just one aspect completely take over your life.

ReputationRep:
    im not quite sure what your going on about?

how can you measure your social life?

and do you mean you want to be an award winning genious like stephen hawkins, with gold olimpic medals like steven redgrave,with a socail life like victoria beckham...no i dont think you can achive them all....well i cant name anyone who has. its possible to have one or two....

but then if your not going to extream and make your own levels...i'm heading towards the intellectual intelegence i belive i can acheieve, i have an amazing social life- soon to be the best it can be, i am heading towards my best possible fitness and will one day be able to beet paul at squash thus achieving great things in sport.....so on a personal level, yes it is achievable and by this time next year i will have it all!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    The problem is how would you go about achieving the best academic results you can, while having the best social life? You can't. You have to adopt a balance and trade certain things for others eg. you will have to stay in some nights to do your work meaning your social life will suffer.

The whole idea is chronically flawed.

ReputationRep:

The flaw being if you lack aptitude in one of these areas. In this instance you may lead a more fulfilling life by maximising your attention to sporting achievement (for example), if say, you weren't particularly gifted academically. To maximise yourself in an area where peers are superior, explicitly confronting your inadequacies would be depressing.

Of course, an approximate balance is the key, but if you excel in an area and you enjoy it – why not devote more attention to it?

ReputationRep:
    What about artistic ability? Might as well strive to develop that as well.

ReputationRep:
    This is especially with the social life aspect, but who is to decide whether or not you have 'excelled'? For some people, going out every night clubbing and meeting lots of people is an example of having a good social life, whereas others prefer to stay in more often, and to keep tight bonds with a small number of friends.

Everyone has a different idea of what is good, so even if you feel you've achieved your goals, other people won't.

And this does seem to be quite an aspirational and almost 'keeping up with the Joneses'-style strive for perfection, so you have to prove to others that you have achieved, not just yourself.

Oh, and I agree with those who say to find a balance.

ReputationRep:

Yes, absolutely. Here's some profiles of grade A students I'm working with right now...

"I have interned at the Central Bank of Lebanon, Beirut and freelanced for [two national magazines] during previous summers. I represent my University’s cricket team and am Director of Fund Management for the student run Global Investment Group."

"Before moving to finance, I used to race motorbikes, and opened a restaurant in 2001."

"I am currently the President of [two societies]...I am also competing at a national level, representing my University and won the UK Championship in two categories in 2003. Fluent in three languages..."

"Last summer I spent 12 weeks in the US running my own sales and marketing business, responsible for building my own client network in northern Indianapolis."

"I am fluent in English, Russian, Hebrew, French, Spanish and Georgian."

"I have captained [national cricket team], and was part of the [world cup team]. I have various work experience, ranging from opening a restaurant..."

"Much of my time is also spent running the internet business I founded 3 years ago, offering security bulletins and internet identity fraud reports to private individuals and businesses alike." (this is a 20yr old!)

"I took on a project for a prominent Japanese think-tank whilst working for [consultancy]. I have served as Editor-in-Chief of [student paper]"

ReputationRep:
    If something is worth doing, then it is worth doing well, as my father would say.
    I am a great believer of this philosophy - it does'nt mean you have to be superman though and it does'nt mean you have to be the best at everything. It just means that you aspire to be the best that you can be at the things you deem important enough to undertake - and I think that is a very admirable outlook.

A wise man once said:

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates, 400bc

While this quote is obviously regarding physical training, I think it is apt for many other things in life.
    Be the best you can be - don't waste your potential :cool:

ReputationRep:

I don't believe its possible to have "everything". On the outside people will appear to have everything but nobody really does.

I used to have what i considered was what i wanted. Academically i was very confident, i had a good social life and my future seemed rosy. Aspiring to have everything can lead you to end up with nothing. I developed depression when i was 16. Partly because its a lot of pressure knowing that you want everything and working to get it. Lots of people were better at dealing with the pressure than i was. That was only part of the reason i got ill, but in the space of 6 months i got my GCSE results which were good, and then started AS levels. I never got higher than an E in my science a levels. To the outside world i around me i had what i wanted, but i've been there and it really doesn't work like that. I've just come out of hospital after getting ill again during my A level resits and i've had to re-evaluate the whole way my mind works. There was a time when i would be angry when i got a C in an essay. Now i would kill for one!

There is so much more to life than trying to have everything.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible, you just dont get much time to sit around and relax, so you become very tired, very stressed, very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

I don't believe its possible to have "everything". On the outside people will appear to have everything but nobody really does.

I used to have what i considered was what i wanted. Academically i was very confident, i had a good social life and my future seemed rosy. Aspiring to have everything can lead you to end up with nothing. I developed depression when i was 16. Partly because its a lot of pressure knowing that you want everything and working to get it. Lots of people were better at dealing with the pressure than i was. That was only part of the reason i got ill, but in the space of 6 months i got my GCSE results which were good, and then started AS levels. I never got higher than an E in my science a levels. To the outside world i around me i had what i wanted, but i've been there and it really doesn't work like that. I've just come out of hospital after getting ill again during my A level resits and i've had to re-evaluate the whole way my mind works. There was a time when i would be angry when i got a C in an essay. Now i would kill for one!

There is so much more to life than trying to have everything.
    It's all very true. A lot of people who come across as living 'happy', perfect lives - successful, ambitious, academically talented, wealthy etc etc are in fact messed up in the head. It's often the result of a desire to want everything - to never be completely satisfied with what are comparatively outstanding achievements, and to always want more. Secondly it could be as a result of having everything that anyone can dream of having, yet for whatever reason not feeling that satisfied or content. Take Richard Branson for example - not content with being a billionaire who's successfully got a stronghold on so many market sectors, he feels the need to achieve more, hence all the balloon record attempts. This is one reason why the number of people depressed/suicidal etc is a lot higher at Oxbridge than the average university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    fact ****ed up in the head.
    Another naughty word - edders will get you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I wouldn't say I excel in everything, but I'd say I was good at everything. I'm ok academically, have a full social life and go out clubbing and do other things a lot (make the most of London!), I'm pretty sporty etc. I think it's about finding a balance, and not letting just one aspect completely take over your life.
    I'm like you Ellie - good at a lot of things at at worst OK at others.

BTW - where is this Excel at Everything guide? Can we get a link or have I misunderstod something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Another naughty word - edders will get you
    Ah yes, nice to see Edders threatening me with a temporary ban for swearing twice, whilst others get away with spam, hacking, xenophobia and anti-gay comments.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about you guys, but until this day I know nobody that has solely been happy due to having good grades or good achievements in sport etc - I think happiness stems from the people around you and your enviornment; importantly, family, friends etc.

I consider academic success, sport, etc as add ons.

ReputationRep:
    "Didn't we almost have it aaaaalllllllllllllll".

Before i got ill i convinced myself that i always had to have more than i had. Now i have nothing compared to what i had (academically speaking) and i know how much more important things like good health and a sense of self being are.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.