Visual Novels

Watch
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anyone here play (read?) visual novels? If so, what are some of your favourites? Any length, genre or level of player interaction is fine. :yes: ...aside from adult/hentai games, unless we're talking about all-ages versions. :p:

Despite my love for anime, with several series being adapted from Japanese visual novels, I've only ever played one: We Know the Devil. Very much an impulse buy, based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews. Short, scary and surreal, and certainly memorable, and the branching endings added replay value. I'd recommend it, especially with Halloween on the horizon.

I've also had my eye on Steins;Gate and the Danganronpa franchise, now that they've made their way onto Steam... a bit too pricey for me at the moment though. :ahee:
username2834970
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not much into this genre, but I do know Hatoful Boyfriend... it's really good. And full of twists.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Athena64)
Not much into this genre, but I do know Hatoful Boyfriend... it's really good. And full of twists.
I'm aware of that, and was tempted when it was on sale on GOG. :giggle: Bizarre concept, but there's nothing wrong with that!
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Danganronpa is on Steam now!? :shock: I almost bought a Vita for it a year ago. Glad I didn't now!

I'm currently playing Psychopass: Mandatory Happiness and think I've unlocked four of the possible endings on Nadeshiko Kugatachi's route so far. It's pretty good.

I've also played Virtue's Last Reward, which was amazing. Lots of fun puzzles integrated into the game. Also Hakuoki: Stories(/Memories) of the Shinsengumi. Stories is the better of the two as it has double the content. Hakuoki is more of a dating sim though. I bought it unaware and then hated myself for loving it so much haha.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by sinfonietta)
Danganronpa is on Steam now!? :shock: I almost bought a Vita for it a year ago. Glad I didn't now!
Good to know my thread has been of use to someone, despite my limited knowledge of the subject!

I'm currently playing Psychopass: Mandatory Happiness and think I've unlocked four of the possible endings on Nadeshiko Kugatachi's route so far. It's pretty good.
Ooh, I didn't realize Psychopass had a VN. That's another series I loved. I see it's due a PC release at some point too, so that's one for the wishlist!

I've also played Virtue's Last Reward, which was amazing. Lots of fun puzzles integrated into the game. Also Hakuoki: Stories(/Memories) of the Shinsengumi. Stories is the better of the two as it has double the content. Hakuoki is more of a dating sim though. I bought it unaware and then hated myself for loving it so much haha.
Virtue's Last Reward is another one that I've considered getting, for the 3DS. I assumed it was more of a puzzle game, but reading up about it I see it does have VN elements. It's quite a diverse genre/medium, really! :zomg:
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Does anyone here play (read?) visual novels? If so, what are some of your favourites? Any length, genre or level of player interaction is fine. :yes: ...aside from adult/hentai games, unless we're talking about all-ages versions. :p:

Despite my love for anime, with several series being adapted from Japanese visual novels, I've only ever played one: We Know the Devil. Very much an impulse buy, based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews. Short, scary and surreal, and certainly memorable, and the branching endings added replay value. I'd recommend it, especially with Halloween on the horizon.

I've also had my eye on Steins;Gate and the Danganronpa franchise, now that they've made their way onto Steam... a bit too pricey for me at the moment though. :ahee:
Yes! I've got a load of VNs on Steam that I've bought over the past year and haven't got round to playing yet. I'm currently making my way through Higurashi, I've got Clannad which I intend to get through at some point in the future and I really want Steins;Gate although I've been put off by some comments that the Steam port is sub-par.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Yes! I've got a load of VNs on Steam that I've bought over the past year and haven't got round to playing yet. I love VNs but they're a pretty major time (and emotional!) investment so my progress is slow. I'm currently making my way through Higurashi, I've got Clannad which I intend to get through at some point in the future and I really want Steins;Gate although I've been put off by some comments that the Steam port is sub-par.
The number of VNs that have gotten English releases does seem to have shot up this year; that, or I've just become more aware of them due to their getting Steam ports. :p:

Cheers for the heads up on Steins;Gate though, I'll be sure to check out the reviews. Hadn't planned on doing so, because I know from the anime that the story's great.
eugenius 8
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow only one AJ?! :shock: Thought you would have played loads :p: but then again I don't think I remember you ever mentioning VN's in the anime thread until now :hmmmm:

I used to love VN's but due to my interest in anime dropping the last couple of years (which I'm trying to revive currently!), my interest in VN's went down as well :sad:

Two VN's being my top 2 games of all time, Persona 4 Golden and Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors (999) :yep:

OK, P4G was half RPG and half VN, but I really loved the visual novel part of the game. A cool story with a great bunch of characters :yep: It was such a fun ride and it was so sad when it all ended as I became so attached to the characters :pinch: Brilliant game :yes:

999, the first of the Zero Escape Trilogy and the best of the series IMO, amazing :yep: everything about it, the characters, story, setting, puzzles, the different paths, perfectly packed into an epic game. That true ending :coma: Never have I played such an emotional game of Sudoku in my life :awesome:

Played Virtue's Last Reward shortly after when I got my Vita, sequel of 999, brilliant game as well but it didn't quite have the same effect on me as the first one. Those decision games were tense :shock:

Any of you guys who are planning to play VLR make sure you play 999 first :yep: Otherwise you'll miss out on some of the surprises in VLR :sadnod:

Zero Time Dilemma, the third VN of the series, most recent one I played, haven't finished it. I stopped right at the end a few weeks ago, don't know why I stalled so late in the game, seem to do this a lot with games/anime :sigh: Had it's moments but a little disappointing when compared with first two games.

The Danganronpa series is great, preferred the first game to the second due to the bigger shock factor, but both great mystery VN games :yes:

Love the Phoenix Wright series, got half way through the third one years ago, might be one to get back into one day :p:

Steins;Gate, I really need to get back to this one :pinch: I got to chapter 5 but stalled on it, I may have to start again as it's been ages Very interesting stuff :yes:

Played some of the fan translated version (only one arc) of Clannad years ago :ninja:

It's great that the last couple of years they are bringing more and more VN's to the west, but they are still so many VN's in Japan, like ones from popular anime shows which will most likely never ever reach the west :sad: I even tried playing the Toradora VN in Japanese back in the day :redface: Yes I was that desperate :p:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by eugenius 8)
Wow only one AJ?! :shock: Thought you would have played loads :p: but then again I don't think I remember you ever mentioning VN's in the anime thread until now :hmmmm:

I used to love VN's but due to my interest in anime dropping the last couple of years (which I'm trying to revive currently!), my interest in VN's went down as well :sad:

Two VN's being my top 2 games of all time, Persona 4 Golden and Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors (999) :yep:

OK, P4G was half RPG and half VN, but I really loved the visual novel part of the game. A cool story with a great bunch of characters :yep: It was such a fun ride and it was so sad when it all ended as I became so attached to the characters :pinch: Brilliant game :yes:

999, the first of the Zero Escape Trilogy and the best of the series IMO, amazing :yep: everything about it, the characters, story, setting, puzzles, the different paths, perfectly packed into an epic game. That true ending :coma: Never have I played such an emotional game of Sudoku in my life :awesome:

Played Virtue's Last Reward shortly after when I got my Vita, sequel of 999, brilliant game as well but it didn't quite have the same effect on me as the first one. Those decision games were tense :shock:

Any of you guys who are planning to play VLR make sure you play 999 first :yep: Otherwise you'll miss out on some of the surprises in VLR :sadnod:

Zero Time Dilemma, the third VN of the series, most recent one I played, haven't finished it. I stopped right at the end a few weeks ago, don't know why I stalled so late in the game, seem to do this a lot with games/anime :sigh: Had it's moments but a little disappointing when compared with first two games.

The Danganronpa series is great, preferred the first game to the second due to the bigger shock factor, but both great mystery VN games :yes:

Love the Phoenix Wright series, got half way through the third one years ago, might be one to get back into one day :p:

Steins;Gate, I really need to get back to this one :pinch: I got to chapter 5 but stalled on it, I may have to start again as it's been ages Very interesting stuff :yes:

Played some of the fan translated version (only one arc) of Clannad years ago :ninja:

It's great that the last couple of years they are bringing more and more VN's to the west, but they are still so many VN's in Japan, like ones from popular anime shows which will most likely never ever reach the west :sad: I even tried playing the Toradora VN in Japanese back in the day :redface: Yes I was that desperate :p:
Yeah, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to VNs. I'm willing to learn though. :adore: I'll be sure to play the Zero Escape Trilogy in order!
eugenius 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to VNs. I'm willing to learn though. :adore: I'll be sure to play the Zero Escape Trilogy in order!
Good good :emog:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Nice try. :noway:
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not sure what the difference is between a point-and-click and a visual novel, but Snatcher (particularly the Mega CD version) is I'm sure regarded as the pinnacle.

And naturally Hideo Kojima's other one, Policenauts, is well liked and has been fully fan-translated.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by eugenius 8)
Good good :emog:
Zero Escape: 999 and Virtue's Last Reward are getting released on PC via Steam as a double-pack. :zomg: Also PS4 and Vita for anyone who has either of those. I may just hold out until then. :yes:
eugenius 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Zero Escape: 999 and Virtue's Last Reward are getting released on PC via Steam as a double-pack. :zomg: Also PS4 and Vita for anyone who has either of those. I may just hold out until then. :yes:
Yes I've read this as well, great for anyone who doesn't have a DS/3DS/Vita to play these two games :yep: I already have VLR on Vita but the remastered 999 with voice acting could be interesting :beard: But then again 999 worked perfectly well without voice acting, and I probably won't have the same experience if I were to play it again, so will probably skip this release.
Doppelgengar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've played Danganronpa 1 and 2, and enjoyed them so much (looking forward to the new game coming in January!), and I really want to try some more visual novel-type games.
I'm coming to the end of the Steins;Gate anime (one of the best things I've ever seen), and I'd quite like to take a look at the original visual novel. And play Steins;Gate 0 too.
I've always wanted to give Clannad a go as well, but not got round to that yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.64%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.55%
I need help with my personal statement (82)
41.41%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (50)
25.25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.52%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.58%

Watched Threads