Mycenaean Archaeology & Greek Art and Archirecture Watch

Victoriaaaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

This year I'm independently taking both AS and A level Classics under the OCR unendorsed classics specification. I'm taking AS Latin language and A2 Latin verse literature as well as AS Archaeology: Mycenae and the classical world and A2 Greek Art and Architecture.

My questions are as follows: is anyone else taking any of the same modules as can help me out with questions since I am without support from my college, and does anybody have any tips for succeeding with the small amounts of A-level specific information for these topics? I have checked the reading lists and it's looking like getting a hold of any textbooks will be difficult and costly. I am wary that without a teacher I will not get a deeper amount of background knowledge needed to do well and cover every possible question.

I am hoping that I will be okay since I am very motivated to lear about these topics, have a strong background in Greek vase painting in particular and an taking AQA archaeology and Classical civilisation in college. (And I have checked that by doing these qualifications they are not considered to overlap by the exam boards).

Thank you very much!!
Tori
BluWacky
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Victoriaaaa)
Hi all,

This year I'm independently taking both AS and A level Classics under the OCR unendorsed classics specification. I'm taking AS Latin language and A2 Latin verse literature as well as AS Archaeology: Mycenae and the classical world and A2 Greek Art and Architecture.

My questions are as follows: is anyone else taking any of the same modules as can help me out with questions since I am without support from my college, and does anybody have any tips for succeeding with the small amounts of A-level specific information for these topics? I have checked the reading lists and it's looking like getting a hold of any textbooks will be difficult and costly. I am wary that without a teacher I will not get a deeper amount of background knowledge needed to do well and cover every possible question.
I really don't think you can do without a textbook if you're self-studying; there's only so much you can cobble together from online resources.

There's a big step between the two Latin papers you're taking - but much of the material for studying for the AS paper is available online, including the vocab list (on the OCR website) and any number of grammar resources (virdrinksbeer will get you through a lot of it). You can buy a copy of Latin Beyond GCSE for about £12 secondhand which is the only textbook you really need.

For the A2 Latin Verse paper, I'd recommend doing the Virgil option and paying the £12 or so to get the Classical Workbook (http://www.classicalworkbooks.com/) for Aeneid VI. This is one of their "old style" workbooks which includes extremely helpful style notes alongside vocab and a literal translation, and works very well for self study. You may also find these study questions (https://foundinantiquity.com/2015/10...for-aeneid-vi/) useful, although it presumes some knowledge of Latin literary devices (which I assume you already have, as otherwise taking this paper is probably not a great idea - you can immerse yourself in Silva Rhetoricae (http://humanities.byu.edu/rhetoric/silva.htm) and see if you can make head or tail of them...). In terms of the language here you can still use Latin Beyond GCSE, but I'd supplement it with a copy of Ovid Unseens to practice elegiac comprehension/translation - again, only about £8.

I'm not best placed to advise you on the archaeology and art/arch papers as I don't teach them. Some swift Googling suggests the following as good ideas:

Mycenae and the Classical World - nightmare paper due to the breadth of "other sites" you can consider! The Wardle Mycenaean World book is very cheap (1p second hand!) and covers all the major sites you need I think; you may have already covered the required techniques in Archaeology A Level but if not Wardle's Classical Archaeology book is again dirt cheap (about £1 second hand).

Art & Arch - most schools use Woodford's Introduction to Greek Art (buy an old edition for £4 or so?) and Emerson's Greek Sanctuaries (£12). These should have everything you need in terms of content (you might already have the Woodford - did you do AQA's AS Greek Vase Painting module? - so the Emerson may be a better bet).

None of these are free options, but self-study does require some kind of structure - particularly for language learning. I hope you have GCSE Latin already, as otherwise you've got a fairly major slog ahead of you linguistically...
Victoriaaaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you!

I did the IB for 1 year last year, covering higher level Latin including Aeneid I and Latin language, and Classical Greek and Roman Studies including Virgil's Aeneid and Attic Vase painting. I was beyond AS level equivalent in language at the end of last year (I am slightly out of practice at the moment!). Luckily last year I also learnt the whole AS Latin vocab list, but I haven't quite mastered all of the conjugations and declensions of each word, it will take revision but it won't be from scratch.

I have had the pleasure of using Carter's workbooks at GCSE, I'll definitely invest in the Aeneid VI book, thank you for the recommendation!! I'll also search for an Ovid unseens book as well.

Regarding the Mycenae unit, it was rather intimidating to look at the recommended books and see 2 pages! And a lot of the suggested books seem to cost so much and give no indication of which is the best for the course. Thank you for your suggestion of the Wardle book.

I do in fact have the Woodford book and many other books on Greek vase painting. Let's just say that I was rather enthusiastic about that unit...

Thank you very much for your reply, it feels very easy to get lost with such little guidance!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.52%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.67%
No, but I want to start (189)
36%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.57%