?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
17/18 New students on an allied health professional, nursing or midwifery
No NHS bursary but will receive full regular funding

Support you will get
- Full income assessed loan
- Full Tuition fee funding
- DSA if applicable
- Child care grant, parents learning allowance, adult dependent grant if applicable

ELQ / Previous Study
All courses that are designated as "NHS" courses will remain exception courses so even if you have an ELQ or previous study then you will still get full funding(as listed above) for any course that is designated as an NHS course.
So your wondering what is designated as an NHS course, the only things confirmed so far are the ones I have mentioned above, it will be more clear as we approach 17/18 and I'll update this post regularly

17/18 Continuing students
Will still receive an NHS bursary so you need to make two applications, one to SFE and one to the NHS

17/18 Part time students
Part time funding will be available for NHS students in 17/18 and you will be able to apply for tuition fees

17/18 NHS Secondees
Are Unaffected by the new regulations

Dental Hygeine & Therapy
Will still be able to claim an NHS Bursary and a reduced rate maintenance loan
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've stickied this. Do we know what happens in regards to the ELQ rules?
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
I've stickied this. Do we know what happens in regards to the ELQ rules?
added more info and ELQ
moonandstars
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Where can we get more information on this if we have previous study and want to know if our course falls under the category of being exempt?
nelfran29
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When can we start applying for student finance England for courses starting September 2017?

When does the applications open?
murpo
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonandstars)
Where can we get more information on this if we have previous study and want to know if our course falls under the category of being exempt?
sorry I havn't been online - I will be updating this post with new nhs 17/18 information in the next few days

PM me your course info and I'l tell you if you can get funding for 17/18 NHS
murpo
Rep:
?
(Original post by nelfran29)
When can we start applying for student finance England for courses starting September 2017?

When does the applications open?
sorry it's took me so long to reply

there is no official release date yet, probably sometime in february
nelfran29
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by murpo)
sorry it's took me so long to reply

there is no official release date yet, probably sometime in february
Hi murpo, Thanks for replying. So for students who have previously got NHS bursaries on an NHS course, will they be classed as new students for courses starting in sept 2017 and now receive NO bursaries. This so disheartening
murpo
Rep:
?
Hi murpo, Thanks for replying. So for students who have previously got NHS bursaries on an NHS course, will they be classed as new students for courses starting in sept 2017 and now receive NO bursaries. This so disheartening
thats incorrect

continuing nhs students are still classed as returners are still get the nhs bursary
nelfran29
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by murpo)
thats incorrect

continuing nhs students are still classed as returners are still get the nhs bursary
Hi murpo, I am not a returning student as such, i began studies in 2012 and withdrew 2014 but now have reapplied for the same course and due to the governement guidelines for courses starting from sept 2017 i assume i will not be entitled to nhs bursary?
murpo
Rep:
?
Hi murpo, I am not a returning student as such, i began studies in 2012 and withdrew 2014 but now have reapplied for the same course and due to the governement guidelines for courses starting from sept 2017 i assume i will not be entitled to nhs bursary?
If you withdrew in 2014 and didn't suspend then you will now be classed as a new student for sept 2017. What course will you be doing and where will you be living and studying - some nhs courses still get the nhs bursary (I need to update my first post)
nelfran29
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by murpo)
If you withdrew in 2014 and didn't suspend then you will now be classed as a new student for sept 2017. What course will you be doing and where will you be living and studying - some nhs courses still get the nhs bursary (I need to update my first post)
is started adult nursing in 2012 then withdrew 2014, have now reapplied for the same course (adult nursing) at other universities.
murpo
Rep:
?
is started adult nursing in 2012 then withdrew 2014, have now reapplied for the same course (adult nursing) at other universities.
then yes you will be classed as a new student and you would be getting full funding if you start August 2017 onwards.

You will get:

1. Up to £9250 in tuition fee loan (university's can only charge 9250 if they receive an award from the gov)
2. A full means tested maintenance loan, if your single and over 25 then you will get the maximum which if your living in London is about 13k, if your living elsewhere about 8k, if you are over 25 and have a partner or are married/civil partnership then it will be based of their income, under 25 not married then based off your parents income.
3. Disabled students Alllowance if applicable
4. Grants for dependants which include childCare grant, adult dependent grant, parents learning allowance, special support grant
5. Long courses loan. (If your course is longer than a standard course)

Also you can still apply for some funding from the NHS as an extra which I have not added to my original post yet, from the top of my head there's travel allowance, child care grant (you can get £1000 of childcare from the NHS even if you claim childcare from student finance England), financial hardship (if your struggling with money) , a few others also which I'll add to my main post soon

Hope this helps. Typing from phone so excuses any grammar or spelling.

EDIT: forgot to mention - your previous study from your previous NHS course will be included in your assessment for funding, let me know how many years you previously studied on an NHS course
nelfran29
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by murpo)
then yes you will be classed as a new student and you would be getting full funding if you start August 2017 onwards.

You will get:

1. Up to £9250 in tuition fee loan (university's can only charge 9250 if they receive an award from the gov)
2. A full means tested maintenance loan, if your single and over 25 then you will get the maximum which if your living in London is about 13k, if your living elsewhere about 8k, if you are over 25 and have a partner or are married/civil partnership then it will be based of their income, under 25 not married then based off your parents income.
3. Disabled students Alllowance if applicable
4. Grants for dependants which include childCare grant, adult dependent grant, parents learning allowance, special support grant
5. Long courses loan. (If your course is longer than a standard course)

Also you can still apply for some funding from the NHS as an extra which I have not added to my original post yet, from the top of my head there's travel allowance, child care grant (you can get £1000 of childcare from the NHS even if you claim childcare from student finance England), financial hardship (if your struggling with money) , a few others also which I'll add to my main post soon

Hope this helps. Typing from phone so excuses any grammar or spelling.

EDIT: forgot to mention - your previous study from your previous NHS course will be included in your assessment for funding, let me know how many years you previously studied on an NHS course
I might be exempt according to SFE cause its a nhs course ill still get full funding, i think i got funding for 2.5 years something like that roughly around £6000
murpo
Rep:
?
I might be exempt according to SFE cause its a nhs course ill still get full funding, i think i got funding for 2.5 years something like that roughly around £6000
NHS courses are exempt from previous study UNLESS you have previously studied on an NHS course
nelfran29
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by murpo)
NHS courses are exempt from previous study UNLESS you have previously studied on an NHS course
So what will this mean for me then?
murpo
Rep:
?
So what will this mean for me then?
Assuming your new course is 3 years long

3+1=4-3=1 - self fund your first and second year(which means maintenance loan only , no tuition fees) and full funding for your 3rd year - you can send compelling personal reasons to get full funding for the 1st and 2nd years if there was any personal, medical or private reason you had to withdraw
nelfran29
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by murpo)
Assuming your new course is 3 years long

3+1=4-3=1 - self fund your first and second year(which means maintenance loan only , no tuition fees) and full funding for your 3rd year - you can send compelling personal reasons to get full funding for the 1st and 2nd years if there was any personal, medical or private reason you had to withdraw
Thats not the information i was given on the phone speaking to SFE, so this sounds quite odd. I am more inclined to have another word because this doesnt make any sense especially with the government not paying tuition fees and bursaries, SFE must have more powers to change how NHS courses will be funded, I am quite sure i am not the only one in this position this mean thousands of people who withdrew and and re appy will be faced with this uncertainty guess theres no real way of finding out until the SEPT 17/18 application opens and waiting 6 weeks to find out what our entitlement would be. Also if this was the case why is SFE not advertising this important message to people like myself.
murpo
Rep:
?
Thats not the information i was given on the phone speaking to SFE, so this sounds quite odd. I am more inclined to have another word because this doesnt make any sense especially with the government not paying tuition fees and bursaries, SFE must have more powers to change how NHS courses will be funded, I am quite sure i am not the only one in this position this mean thousands of people who withdrew and and re appy will be faced with this uncertainty guess theres no real way of finding out until the SEPT 17/18 application opens and waiting 6 weeks to find out what our entitlement would be. Also if this was the case why is SFE not advertising this important message to people like myself.
Before 17/18 the previous study guidance in the regulations states

Bursary and Erasmus years are counted as previous study, example a student applying for a 5 year medicine degree and have previously studied a 2 year nursing degree then the calculation is 4+1-2= 3 years funding available to study the medicine degree.

For 17/18 there's nothing yet in the regulations about students who have had previous study on NHS courses before 17/18.

The best advice I would give you is apply straight away so your application can get assessed and so you will have a decision on what funding you will receive (if you apply straight away you will have the decision by May)
nelfran29
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by murpo)
Before 17/18 the previous study guidance in the regulations states

Bursary and Erasmus years are counted as previous study, example a student applying for a 5 year medicine degree and have previously studied a 2 year nursing degree then the calculation is 4+1-2= 3 years funding available to study the medicine degree.

For 17/18 there's nothing yet in the regulations about students who have had previous study on NHS courses before 17/18.

The best advice I would give you is apply straight away so your application can get assessed and so you will have a decision on what funding you will receive (if you apply straight away you will have the decision by May)
Hey murpo, this is so scary, i will be looking out for when the applications open, thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (173)
27.2%
Not great so far... (227)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.34%

Watched Threads