The Student Room Group

Sensibility of adding my IQ score to my LinkedIn profile?

Scroll to see replies

It makes you look like a complete prat
Reply 21
Original post by Wisefire
I mean, should universities Google search my name (which in my case could be a bit likelier than that of others not least because my name is pretty peculiar) I wouldn't mind them knowing my IQ. I honestly think them coming across that would be a plus. Otherwise it is an uncommon and so a bit of a wrong thing to do.

Universities admissions staff do not have the time or the inclination to google applicants. And they would not be in the slightest interested in your stated IQ.

They get all the information they need from your UCAS application.
No. IQ is not an accomplishment, it's meant to enable you or aid you, to achieve certain goals in your life. So you'd basically just be saying "I'm very smart".
People don't care about that, what people care about is how you applied your intelligence in your life to achieve goals, the evidence. I.e, academic achievement. And if you provide the evidence then that says enough itself, but if you have the IQ and the evidence doesn't match up, what does that say? You don't know how to apply your intelligence?

It's about as much use as an artist describing themself as very creative and talented, but offering no artwork to support it. It alone means nothing, you are judged by your achievements.

It also isn't likely to frame you in a positive light. It'll make you come across conceited, or a little socially obtuse.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not sure if srs but really don't.
Reply 24
Right okay. I think I would want to publicise my IQ if it were about 10 points higher. Otherwise, whatever the score, it can be unnecessary and not worth putting up publicly if it is that doing so is questionable for some, and questionable for even myself.

Essentially, frankly, a part of me wishes I had a super high IQ which I could brag about, or something more about myself to **** my ego with lol. 126 isn't anything terribly high. Anyway, it won't be put up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you wouldn't want to publicise it, at all. Imagine a random guy came up to you and started bragging about his IQ, would that raise your opinion of him? Seriously don't mention it.

-Sincerely, a guy with an IQ 10 points higher than yours.
How exactly does publicising an IQ score I have damage the professional nature of my LinkedIn profile?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you ever seen a job advert or a university course that specifies IQ as a required piece of information?

Just like you don't put your shoe size or the colour of your pants on LinkedIn - IQ is not relevant and doesn't belong on there.
I see. Hm.
Well I know someone that has mentioned his 161 IQ on their LinkedIn profile.

Put it this way, it's the kind of thing Trump would do.

"I'm bigly intelligent. I don't think I know anyone more intelligent. I'm so smart."

So yeah. Just don't. Anybody who knows anything about IQ tests knows they're largely redundant. Anybody who gets impressed by numbers isn't worth working for because they clearly have no understanding of the tests.

It's a massive waste of time.
Reply 27
I'm not exactly being "pretentious" by revealing my semi-decent IQ score. Being pretentious is "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed". I'm literally not doing that here. I am correctly stating the alright test score of mine of an indicator some might bear in mind. I am not being showy. I am not trying to impress by showing myself in any more of a positive light than what actually is, me having a 126 IQ. I am publicising how I am in the 85th percentile of results for an IQ test.

I am going to put it up, but I will also add additional words touching on how displaying the score is not 'showy', for God's sake.

>.> <.< >.> I'm not the one who said the word pretentious...what you should do instead is put "Member of Mensa Society" on the profile.

I am going to put it up, but I will also add additional words touching on how displaying the score is not 'showy', for God's sake.

In the end, do you think there was any chance you were going to take the advice of almost every respondent?

Personally, I wouldn't want an employer presented with a single number that was supposed to sum up my ability. The sword cuts both ways. If you don't write your IQ score then it could be anything (i.e. It could be higher). If you do then you've set a limit on yourself. You should have academic or other achievements to show you're intelligent and that suggest potential. If you don't then putting down your IQ would look like compensation.
Original post by Life_peer
In all seriousness, do it only if you can prove it—can you include a link to a photo of your certificate, for example? I wish there was a database of IQ results accessible to universities similar to IELTS. IQ is a valid predictor of one's academic aptitude and I don't see why we should be afraid to use it. Because some people are envious and attempt to mock us to overcome their insecurity? **** them.

Always a pleasure to see you on another part of the site LP.

Rather amusing statement given the OP themselves said they felt including their score would help them with their insecurity.
'Cooper: You're ruling my son out for college now? The kid's fifteen.
Principal: Tom's score simply isn't high enough.
Cooper: What's your waistline? 32? With, what, a 33 inseam?
Principal: I'm not sure I see what you're getting at.
Cooper: You're telling me it takes two numbers to measure your own ass but only one to measure my son's future?'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending