Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

My sister just received her results and is unsatisfied by her art grade. She now has a C for AS art and wants to get it ramarked. Her examination board is AQA and apparently her teacher claims that its impossible to do a remark since its a project (not a question paper). What surprises me is that she not only can't remark the coursewor (which consist of 2 units) but can't also remark the examination book.

What are her options? I know she can retake AS art but since she already have done the courseworks, all she'd have to do is improve it here and there. Surely, she should be able to do that on her own. Any suggestions are welcome and appriciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's very hard to remark art because of the whole project thing, it would mean sending off the examination project which they're supposed to mark at your school (we have the examiner come to our school to look round our examination art show). I don't really know what to suggest other than make sure she tries her best next year and work from her mistakes this year. Afterall, C isn't that bad a grade, and she could easily push that up to a B in Art because AQA Art seems to be all about the more time you put in the more it'll show on your grade.

ReputationRep:
    How close is your sister to a B? If she is only a few marks away, then it is definitely still possible to get an A from that position with AQA. It's important that your sister learns from her mistakes last year. She needs to put a lot of work in and make sure she has done everything she could do in terms of experimentation, research, direct observation and the thoughts behind her work.

I don't know if it is even possible to get Art remarks, but I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly thanks for the replies guys. She is very close to a B it appears. I have one more question. If "sending off" is the problem, is it not possible to wait till June and then get it remarked while examiners visit the college to mark other AS pupils work? The thing is, she doesn't want to waste a year... She wants to continue with A2 and is aiming for an A at most. Apparently it is her teachers that marked her work and she is upset that they might have undermarked her. So this time around, she wants to get all of her work marked by the examiners.

Thanks again for your replies.

Raj

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolraj)
    I have one more question. If "sending off" is the problem, is it not possible to wait till June and then get it remarked while examiners visit the college to mark other AS pupils work? The thing is, she doesn't want to waste a year... She wants to continue with A2 and is aiming for an A at most. Apparently it is her teachers that marked her work and she is upset that they might have undermarked her. So this time around, she wants to get all of her work marked by the examiners.

Thanks again for your replies.

Raj
    My school do exactly that. If people aren't happy with their results, we can resubmit them the following summer. In some cases students were submitting all 6 units at once. So if your sister was to add some more work to her current AS work it could go up and she'd get her AS and A2 work marked together.

You also mention her teachers possibly undermarking her work. Don't examiners come into the school to check the work? If so, it's possible that they didn't agree with her teacher's marking and therefore lowered her result. I would have thought teachers in general overmark rather than undermark.

I hope this helps your sister in some way, and good luck to her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insomniac89)
    You also mention her teachers possibly undermarking her work. Don't examiners come into the school to check the work? If so, it's possible that they didn't agree with her teacher's marking and therefore lowered her result. I would have thought teachers in general overmark rather than undermark.
    Yeah the examiners should come to your school and moderate the work. In my school, since there were about 15 people in the class and the examiner only had a few hours to moderate the work, the examiner only looked at 5 or 6 peoples work, so if your sister's work wasn't moderated then she that might be why she didn't like the look of her results.

Another thing about examiners, when my schools work was moderated, the examiner talked to my art teacher about what they thought about the work and my teacher told us all what the examiner said. In my case, the examiner said that we needed to more experimentation, so that is something most of my class made an effort with in A2. It's worth your sister asking her teacher a similar question so she knows where she needs to improve.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.