The Student Room Group

received wrong item on ebay - seller wont give full refund

i bought an item on ebay and then received a message from the seller saying they have listed the item wrongly (now making the item completely useless to me) and they have sent it. (in my opinion they sent it knowing it was wrong because how can you suddenly realise you have wrote the wrong thing once you have sent it and they seem desperate to get rid of it)

so they said i can return it. i asked if i would be refunded original postage and the postage it is going to cost me to return the item and they said they will only refund original postage and item cost. therefore leaving me to have to pay to send the item back when it was completely their fault.
am i right in asking for the postage cost to send it back to be refunded? does anyone know what usually happens in this situation.

i know i personally would refund all of their costs if i was the seller sinse it would be my fault and i would want to kepp my 100% positive rep.
which is another problem. i think i should leave them negative feedback sinse well basically im now out of pocket but i dont want to receive negative feedback from them which i have a feeling i will get.:mad:

Scroll to see replies

You are in the right, yes. How much will you be paying out/losing? Maybe you could contact eBay directly about the matter. Also, wait to see what feedback they leave you, so even if it is negative you can explain in their feedback so that other potential buyers can see.
Reply 2
This may help you? http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/inr-snad-process.html

What item is it out of interest? Could you sell it and make your money back? How much will it cost to send it back?
Reply 3
That's ebay for ya! Complete *****, unless you're willing to sacrifice your rep, there aint much you can do!
Reply 4
If you paid by Paypal, I believe that Paypal generally find in favour of the buyer in such circumstances and may refund your money.
SuperDaz
This may help you? http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/inr-snad-process.html

What item is it out of interest? Could you sell it and make your money back? How much will it cost to send it back?

they listed a video as a dvd. which wouldnt be a problem if i didnt get rid of my video player like 2 years ago. so its completely useless to me

the other alternative was they offered to refund my postage and i could keep the item and sell it on (which is why i think they are a bit desperate to get rid of it) however sinse it was a video and not a dvd i paid more than it was worth so if i did keep it and resell it i wouldnt make my money back especially sinse there are loads of videos on ebay for way less than what i paid.

itl only be a couple of pound to send it back but its the principal of the matter really.
Kyle_S-C
If you paid by Paypal, I believe that Paypal generally find in favour of the buyer in such circumstances and may refund your money.

i did pay by paypal but will paypal be able to refund me what i paid plus the extra postage i am now going to have to pay? because that extra money wont be transferred through paypal but obviously just from me to the post office
bloodredbeat
You are in the right, yes. How much will you be paying out/losing? Maybe you could contact eBay directly about the matter. Also, wait to see what feedback they leave you, so even if it is negative you can explain in their feedback so that other potential buyers can see.

ive sent the seller a message saying why should i be out of pocket for their mistake and all of that so ill see what they say and then if they still dont ill take it up with ebay.
i doubt theyl leave me feedback til i leave it for them since im the buyer. i could just not leave them anything and they may not leave any for me i dont want to not have to leave them any because they deserve negative really.
and they dont actually seem phased by the fact they listed it wrongly because all of their messages have been written as though it was a teenager full of "lolz" and the like and i think they just expected me to not care and keep it because i had to actually say i dont want it any more
"Feedback and Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described disputes

Buyers and sellers may leave Feedback for an item at any time as normal, even if there is an Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described dispute open.

Participating in the Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described process does not automatically affect a user's Feedback score or Feedback Profile"

thats on the ebay link. so does that means if i open the dispute and they leave me negative it wont affect my score?
Reply 9
It shouldnt affect your feedback, I cant see why they'd leave negative feedback anyway if you've done nothing wrong? Start the process on Ebay and also do a claim in Paypal. They should really refund your postage costs to send it back if they've sent you the wrong item, most people would anyway. Obviously you cant force them to though. Is it someone with a shop or just a normal seller?
I'm sure I would just say what has already been said but I thought this video might cheer you up a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDK6ctRjqw
If you do send it back make sure it's recorded delivery.
Reply 12
UniOfLife
I'm sure I would just say what has already been said but I thought this video might cheer you up a bit:

$5,000. Classic.
thisbemadness
It shouldnt affect your feedback, I cant see why they'd leave negative feedback anyway if you've done nothing wrong? Start the process on Ebay and also do a claim in Paypal. They should really refund your postage costs to send it back if they've sent you the wrong item, most people would anyway. Obviously you cant force them to though. Is it someone with a shop or just a normal seller?

just a normal seller. if i leave them neg then theyl probs leave me neg out of spite really because they have nothing to loose by it.

unioflife-ive just read the title of the video and it looks like its going to be rather hilarious i shall watch it in a bit. got to love judge judy thanks :biggrin:
ellietheelephant
unioflife-ive just read the title of the video and it looks like its going to be rather hilarious i shall watch it in a bit. got to love judge judy thanks :biggrin:

No problem. My brother recently had problems on ebay and found this vid, it cheered him up a bit. His problems, though, were mostly because he didn't really understand how e-bay works.
Reply 15
UniOfLife

:toofunny:

My favourite moment 'You may weigh more but you're never going to be smarter than my little finger' :biggrin:

ellietheelephant
they listed a video as a dvd. which wouldnt be a problem if i didnt get rid of my video player like 2 years ago. so its completely useless to me

the other alternative was they offered to refund my postage and i could keep the item and sell it on (which is why i think they are a bit desperate to get rid of it) however sinse it was a video and not a dvd i paid more than it was worth so if i did keep it and resell it i wouldnt make my money back especially sinse there are loads of videos on ebay for way less than what i paid.

itl only be a couple of pound to send it back but its the principal of the matter really.

That is quite a big difference, yeah, and I'd be annoyed to.

Tbh they probably dont even want the video back because they are pretty much useless to everyone. I would email them asking for your money back, say if they want the video then they have to pay/collect it, otherwise you'll chuck it, if thats not ok then you'll report them to ebay.
Make them sorry they ever crossed you. See my thread on the french language school on the same page as this therad. This kind of casual "the buyer will put up with anything" seller instantly makes me want to focus all my energy into destroying them and generally screwing them over 10x worse.
ellietheelephant
ive sent the seller a message saying why should i be out of pocket for their mistake and all of that so ill see what they say and then if they still dont ill take it up with ebay.
i doubt theyl leave me feedback til i leave it for them since im the buyer. i could just not leave them anything and they may not leave any for me i dont want to not have to leave them any because they deserve negative really.
and they dont actually seem phased by the fact they listed it wrongly because all of their messages have been written as though it was a teenager full of "lolz" and the like and i think they just expected me to not care and keep it because i had to actually say i dont want it any more

It sounds like they knew exactly what they were doing...
Reply 18
Trading Standards can get involved in this i beleive, ive had a similar problem.
theboys
Trading Standards can get involved in this i beleive, ive had a similar problem.

did u end up with ur full money back?

so basically so far they have said they wont refund extra postage. i replied saying why should u lose out because of their mistake. they havent replied yet but if they dont agree ill say fine ill take the matter up with ebay.

my only worry is that if we come to an agreement and i send the video off theyl have my money and the video and i cant force them to give me all the money back.

Latest

Trending

Trending